Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Technical Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technical analysis, price predictions and news on Tesla stock for week ending 06/05/2021. Tesla suffers setback in shortened trading week, but why I’m still bullish long term. It appears to be trying to form a base of consolidation around the 200DMA. If Tesla can prove to hold above the 200DMA, it would make for a case of a new bull run, possibly similar to its 10 month rally after touching the 200DMA previously in March 2020. Resistance levels to watch for on the way up is first $604. Next resistance comes in at $625. Then comes $656 and finally $677. To the downside, there should be significant support at the $550 level. A break below that, and we might see it drop to as low as $500.

Tesla news this week includes:
  • Impact of higher oil price on EVs
  • Jay Leno: Tesla is 7-8 years ahead of everyone in battery technology
  • Tesla Model 3 establishes itself as best selling EV in France
  • Tesla tops global EV sales in April, holds substantial lead for 2021
  • Vanessa Bryant gives new Tesla to Kobe’s sister
  • Tesla China orders down 50% in May
  • @teslashanghai tweets Tesla China sales actually increased 88% MoM, contradicting reports of China orders dropping 50% in the same period

I'm not buying into any TA patterns for a while.
Me thinks anyone that does is either a fool or selling somethin
TSLA broken, gonna take months to sort things out.
No quick time back to 900.
I'd prefer it just pause somewhere here or higher, let some accumulation happen as retail sells out in frustration, then continue.
But it is just busted up right now.

I think the chart still looks sloppy and think short term risks remain.
Price was about $100 higher when I said the above.
I think we wont get better price action until end of year, tough to say when. But I think TSLA should close the year higher than what it went into SP500 at.
I expect more churn.
I'll give due to any TA analysis that paid off since March, my guess it has been mostly churning of accounts or hopeful comments from armchairs.

Internet thoughts about wide and loose crap I noted:

A cop show I saw recently the seasoned detective on scene said to the young buck that you have to gather the evidence and let it speak to you, not go in with a theory. TA is a bit like that, and the only way to judge it is from the money. For detectives catching the proper criminal is akin to a profitable technician.

Next week is an interesting option expiry. I think THEY will sacrifice the PUTs to not give out shares so I think there will be a push down from THEM. It will be interesting after tonight. If it is recieved well we could jump an easy 10%
Screenshot_20210610-165018_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Technical analysis, price predictions and news on Tesla stock for week ending 06/12/2021. Tesla has been consolidating around the 200DMA for the past month, and in my opinion building a base of support for the next big bull run similar to what happened the last time it touched the 200DMA back in March 2020 and it went on a 10 month long rally. Resistance levels to look out for is first $809. The next level to watch comes in at $617. After that there will be resistance at $653. Finally, a key resistance level to break above is $680. To the downside, if $809 proves to hold as resistance, then there is solid support at around $550-560 level

• Elon Musk cancels Plaid+, says Plaid is just so good
  • Tesla China sales surge 29% in May, debunking earlier reports
  • Veritas Analyst says Tesla Energy gaining ground
  • German survey suggests Tesla Model 3 is #1 recommended BEV
  • Plaid Delivery Event Review

Today TSLA closed nicely above its 200-day SMA (simple moving average) of $610. If this continues, it could be a welcome technical sign.

If nasdaq is pumping I would see no reason this would not still continue. I wouldn't call this a welcome technical sign. Just a normal no one is selling environment.

We need to break to the upside like the other poster said. All it takes is a red day from the Nasdaq to crash us under the 200 day SMA.

TSLA has been hovering close to its 200-day SMA (simple moving average) for over a month. TSLA closed slightly below that SMA on Tuesday and Wednesday, then closed above today. That SMA now stands at $612.48 and continues in a rising mode. From a technical perspective, I’d like to see TSLA kick more smartly above that SMA and attack its 50-day SMA, which today is at $647.77 and declining. It would be best for longs, if TSLA does this before those two SMAs cross each other.

Reactions: traxila
Technical analysis, price predictions and news on Tesla stock for week ending 06/19/2021. Tesla looked more bullish to close out the week. It will run into the next key resistance at around $646 which is the 50DMA. The next critical resistance comes in at around $700. A break above that, and the probability of Tesla stock going on a long term rally increases greatly. To the downside, we have support at the 200DMA at $613. A break below that and the next support comes in at $585. If it continues to fall lower, we could see it drop to as low as $550-560.

• Tesla Model Y demand skyrockets, Long Range variant nearly sold out for Q3
  • Massive expansion of Supercharger network underway
  • Elon Musk hinting at Tesla Home HVAC System
  • Rockefeller Capital Management: Now is the time to buy the stock and hold

Macros down on Friday, TSLA up. Macros up on Monday, TSLA down. Nevertheless, TSLA has closed above its 200-day SMA (simple moving average of $614) for three straight sessions. For the bullish case, holding above that SMA needs to continue, perhaps more consistently upward.

Reactions: InTheShadows
Internet thoughts about wide and loose crap I noted:

To be crystal clear, technical analysis tools like trendlines and especially triangles (among others, including moving averages, which are talked a lot about here) are explicitly used to quantify the concept of "wide and loose vs tight and right". Triangles and wide vs tight are literally the same thing, except the former provides an actionable construct and the latter is mostly just a self-evident concept that sounds good in nothing-burger internet articles. :cool:

We're working an ascending triangle right now within the bigger picture descending triangle. The top side of the ascending is a little ambiguous so the breakout isn't as defined as one would prefer, and we're a little deep into the triangle now so the statistical strength of a breakout is decreasing. I'm cautiously optimistic we can get a break out of the top side with good volume, and if that happens odds are good that price will run up...probably to the high 600's. I'd call 640 as a conservative entry point (noting that 50MA might provide some resistance). Because the signals aren't super strong, my position size will be fairly modest.

Again, as with all TA, it is about probability not certainty. So corollary to an entry one needs to send a stop order in case statistics are not in the trade's favor this time around, and as noted above position sizing is a huge knob to turn relative to strength of indicators, very much like counting cards at the table.

And again, TA is about waiting for tools to align and present a statistical opportunity, not about always finding an entry.

1624302600533.png

For day traders (which I don't do with TSLA), its worth noting that price reversed today on 20MA, and also on a little bit of price volume from last week between ~608-611. Pretty good signals there for anyone that might have been watching.

Also interesting to see that the price successfully went back to the well at ~611-613 at least 3 times (including this morning) and maybe even 5 depending on how one draws the accumulation zone. That's pretty uncommon--typically one return is a good indicator, the second is a little weaker, and then from there its kind of a spent tool.

1624304015984.png

To be crystal clear, technical analysis tools like trendlines and especially triangles (among others, including moving averages, which are talked a lot about here) are explicitly used to quantify the concept of "wide and loose vs tight and right". Triangles and wide vs tight are literally the same thing, except the former provides an actionable construct and the latter is mostly just a self-evident concept that sounds good in nothing-burger internet articles. :cool:

We're working an ascending triangle right now within the bigger picture descending triangle. The top side of the ascending is a little ambiguous so the breakout isn't as defined as one would prefer, and we're a little deep into the triangle now so the statistical strength of a breakout is decreasing. I'm cautiously optimistic we can get a break out of the top side with good volume, and if that happens odds are good that price will run up...probably to the high 600's. I'd call 640 as a conservative entry point (noting that 50MA might provide some resistance). Because the signals aren't super strong, my position size will be fairly modest.

Again, as with all TA, it is about probability not certainty. So corollary to an entry one needs to send a stop order in case statistics are not in the trade's favor this time around, and as noted above position sizing is a huge knob to turn relative to strength of indicators, very much like counting cards at the table.

And again, TA is about waiting for tools to align and present a statistical opportunity, not about always finding an entry.

View attachment 675949

For day traders (which I don't do with TSLA), its worth noting that price reversed today on 20MA, and also on a little bit of price volume from last week between ~608-611. Pretty good signals there for anyone that might have been watching.

Also interesting to see that the price successfully went back to the well at ~611-613 at least 3 times (including this morning) and maybe even 5 depending on how one draws the accumulation zone. That's pretty uncommon--typically one return is a good indicator, the second is a little weaker, and then from there its kind of a spent tool.

View attachment 675959

bxr140, I do not understand that of which you write.
Back in March I shared my insights that TSLA was busted up and would take months to recover. It is now months later, I think my read of things was correct.

I think many here have posted what they hoped would happen, or read into things they thought would happen, when in fact nothing has happened.

I recently shared my read of the charts that it would likely take a while longer to improve. I am willing to bet that there will be a good fade after something that looks like a breakout. Chart monkeys will proclaim their success and then wring their hands.

If you disagree with what was written so be it. My wide and loose aka busted up thoughts were not publicly well received so outside sources were shared.

You share it is about probability. Probability of patterns working out has already been studied, books have been written. ThePatternSite.com
My observations are that many patterns really don't offer good risk/reward.

Mostly forgotten in all of this, what really matters are results. Cash money.

As a serious question, how would you propose to position an entry with regards to stop order or maybe even position sizing?

Reactions: winfield100
if you follow some of the simpler technical analysis, such as the volume weighted Advance/Decline line
A/D
it started out pretty flat way back in 2010, had a little blip the first run up to around 200, went flat.

it started rising, oddly, when TESLAQ, Mark BS, presented at the Robin Hood conference and helped people notice TSLA more on around november 30, 2016

a steady climb to around mid december last year when S&P 500 inclusion happened.
a nice upward linear regression line.

since mid december until now, the A/D line has been essentially flat, the linear regression line for that time period is flat, ie buying and selling pressure seems balanced.
the SP has been drifting downwards as is obvious, so perhaps this is indicative of slow subtle buying pressure

a 6 month downward drift in SP and a flat A/D line, since the A/D line is generated by volume weighted buys and sells,
possibly indicative of shares going out of circulation?

is that a reasonable interpretation? or patterns in ghosts and shadows?

Reactions: Dig deeper
if you follow some of the simpler technical analysis, such as the volume weighted Advance/Decline line
A/D
it started out pretty flat way back in 2010, had a little blip the first run up to around 200, went flat.

it started rising, oddly, when TESLAQ, Mark BS, presented at the Robin Hood conference and helped people notice TSLA more on around november 30, 2016

a steady climb to around mid december last year when S&P 500 inclusion happened.
a nice upward linear regression line.

since mid december until now, the A/D line has been essentially flat, the linear regression line for that time period is flat, ie buying and selling pressure seems balanced.
the SP has been drifting downwards as is obvious, so perhaps this is indicative of slow subtle buying pressure

a 6 month downward drift in SP and a flat A/D line, since the A/D line is generated by volume weighted buys and sells,
possibly indicative of shares going out of circulation?

is that a reasonable interpretation? or patterns in ghosts and shadows?

That would be a fancy explanation I could not really understand.
My view is that all TA is built around two different things: Price and Volume. Everything else is built around with those two.
Bollinger bands get batted about a bit here. User inputs change the bands and thus the analysis., they are built on price and volume.
A guy named Morris wrote an excellent book looking at all the available TA tools: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018CLKYHW/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i2
I prefer to stay simpler

Looking back over time at TSLA, I think the two big moves so far can be understood technically and fundamentally by what was going on with the growth expectancy of the company. Early growth was coupled with the initial master plan being carried out and initially recognized by more participants. More recent growth as it became more apparent that TSLA was becoming much larger and really could capture gerater market share, coupled with SP500 inclusion. It had built a multi year base, consolidating, getting tight. BOOM!

Now, things are being digested. Weak holders are selling, short term folks, some of which were chart monkeys, left the gravy train. 33% drop in months. It is gonna take some time to continue this digestion until market participants have reached some new equilibrium. The rubber band of stock price got overstretched. Folks are weary.

I think that sometimes these explanations are not so readily apparent as they happen, perhaps even after they happen. I find it tough to own or trade something without understanding the story.

As the Tesla story continues to evolve, as/if the world markets stay stable, the price action will tighten up as participants agree on price more. If TSLA continues to execute, price will get bid up again. If the transportation industry continues to change and TSLA continues its lead, the price will go up. People want to buy a good growth story and capture future earnings growth. It can be tough to judge when that will happen. When there is recent wide disagreement in prices, it will take a while.

I think the SP500 inclusion price is a wonderful anchor that over time (this year) will be defended. As more things become known about TSLA (battery day stuff comes true, new plants sell all they can make, more plants made, enough batteries to make CT and Semi, future of cheaper version car looks more realistic, FSD, robotaxi) that is when the next huge leg up will take place. As these things start to look more plausible I would expect recovery to previous highs and then a few weeks or months of indecision coupled with back and forth price action.

The kinds of folks I used to follow or learn from would principally call TSLA an avoid for now, say it needs to set up again.

That would be a fancy explanation I could not really understand.
My view is that all TA is built around two different things: Price and Volume. Everything else is built around with those two.
Bollinger bands get batted about a bit here. User inputs change the bands and thus the analysis., they are built on price and volume.
A guy named Morris wrote an excellent book looking at all the available TA tools: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018CLKYHW/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i2
I prefer to stay simpler

Looking back over time at TSLA, I think the two big moves so far can be understood technically and fundamentally by what was going on with the growth expectancy of the company. Early growth was coupled with the initial master plan being carried out and initially recognized by more participants. More recent growth as it became more apparent that TSLA was becoming much larger and really could capture gerater market share, coupled with SP500 inclusion. It had built a multi year base, consolidating, getting tight. BOOM!

Now, things are being digested. Weak holders are selling, short term folks, some of which were chart monkeys, left the gravy train. 33% drop in months. It is gonna take some time to continue this digestion until market participants have reached some new equilibrium. The rubber band of stock price got overstretched. Folks are weary.

I think that sometimes these explanations are not so readily apparent as they happen, perhaps even after they happen. I find it tough to own or trade something without understanding the story.

As the Tesla story continues to evolve, as/if the world markets stay stable, the price action will tighten up as participants agree on price more. If TSLA continues to execute, price will get bid up again. If the transportation industry continues to change and TSLA continues its lead, the price will go up. People want to buy a good growth story and capture future earnings growth. It can be tough to judge when that will happen. When there is recent wide disagreement in prices, it will take a while.

I think the SP500 inclusion price is a wonderful anchor that over time (this year) will be defended. As more things become known about TSLA (battery day stuff comes true, new plants sell all they can make, more plants made, enough batteries to make CT and Semi, future of cheaper version car looks more realistic, FSD, robotaxi) that is when the next huge leg up will take place. As these things start to look more plausible I would expect recovery to previous highs and then a few weeks or months of indecision coupled with back and forth price action.

The kinds of folks I used to follow or learn from would principally call TSLA an avoid for now, say it needs to set up again.
I kind of agree, that couldbe a simpler explanation of the A/D line
It is weighted by a volume multiplier and the price moves.
It is flat in both log and linear scale graphs, since S&P inclusion, basically drifting sideways
Since every time I have traded, I end up losing a lot of money, I no longer trade, but accumulate and HODL.
the volatility seems to be decreasing and price drifting sideways

I do expect Tesla Energy and to a lesser extent SpaceX to positively affect the stock price, when I suspect TE will make a play of some kind for ERCOT (just a vague suspicion) and Starlink overwhelms the Terrestrial ISP's like cellphones did to landlines, and neural link when paralyzed folks walk and we communicate/talk with non-human species

but enuf blue skies

last ~10 months, flat A/D line since mid december

thanks for helping me cogitate upon this mystery

1624363537261.png

Significant TSLA trading volume again After-hrs today, with 892,783 shares traded totalling over 4.9% of the Main session volume.

Also significant is the fact that SP remained very stable (in fact ending the A/hrs session up slightly).

IMO, this is more of the rebalancing activity we saw yesterday when the A/hrs session was over 6.5% of the Main session volume. Good to see order and stability in the Force Order Book. :D

Cheers!
Apologies if I missed the discussion on this elsewhere in the thread, what are your thoughts on the approaching death cross, 50-day moving average crossing below the 200-day moving average? Looks like next week.

Last edited:
bxr140, I do not understand that of which you write.

That's because you have you shown an unwillingness in this thread to try to understand what TA really is (and is not). That would be fine, if not for your continuing perspective on TA that is the trading equivalent of "Tom Brady Sucks".

TA is not some abstract Nostradamus-like prediction of "I think charts will take a months to recover" followed by a self-back-patting in the form of "its a few months later and charts are improving". It is a methodology wherein a trader that uses various tools to objectively analyze price and volume over time, for the specific purpose of identifying high probability entries and exits and corollary risk/reward. The specific tools used and the manner in which they're weighted/layered are much less important; what matters most is that a trader develop a consistent and statistically relevant set of tools. To wit, I don't find the Awesome Indicator to be relevant in my analysis, but I'm not going to marginalize someone who finds value in it.

TA is not about being right all the time. It is about being methodical and analytical rather than aspirational, such that over a period of time the aggregate risk/reward and wins/losses returns profit. "I think charts are going to take months to recover" is aspirational. Recover from what? How many months? What does "recovery" look like? What do you do when it recovers? Conversely, "I've drawn this triangle and its bounding a consolidation, I'm going to enter on a breakout" is objective and actionable.

FTR, TA actually breaks down the most in an ATHing situation, like we saw with much of last year. Since the peak earlier this year there have been plenty of TA signals. If one can't see those signals, that does not mean TA doesn't work, that means one is doing TA wrong.

I am willing to bet that there will be a good fade after something that looks like a breakout.

If a trader enters on a breakout and then exits position for profit [based on price analysis] before a "fade", that's literally the exact point of technical analysis.

If you're looking for entries on B&H positions, TA--and certainly TA as an isolated method of analysis (so, not considering fundamentals, macros, etc.)--is the wrong approach.

As a serious question, how would you propose to position an entry with regards to stop order or maybe even position sizing?

Entry is on confirmation of a signal, typically some layering of TA tools. For instance, if there's a confirmed trend line and then a pro-gap breakout, that's a pretty strong entry signal. Additional layering of tools (in my case, I prefer price-volume accumulation/distribution zones and common moving averages) would increase or decrease the strength of that signal, and therefore would inform my aggression or conservatism with respect to position size and entry/exit.

It is hyper important to have a stop loss on entry in the event price action does not agree with one's probability analysis. In the case of a trend line break, a sensible stop loss would be on the 'bad' side of the trendline. So...if one enters the breakout but price reverses back under the TL, one takes the loss and move on. Or, if one is buying on retrace/confirmation of an accumulation zone, the stop loss might be at the bottom of that zone. Put another way, taking loss is explicitly part of TA.

For a real world example, I bought a few lots of September TSLA calls yesterday around 620, based on the relatively low IV, reasonable strength of the price floor from this ascending consolidation, the tapering consolidation itself, and a hedge that price and IV will run up a bit into earnings. (In other words, my analysis was a combination of TA proper and also fundamental analysis).

My stop was set at dropping out the bottom of the ascending triangle, which from a practical perspective would be around $600 (when I analyze price over time), or ~$20 risk. Obviously I'm up on the positions today (total profit for the lots are at ~40-42%); my stop price is now bumped to $0 loss.

My target price, as abstracted upthread as "high 600's", is in the illustrated price-volume distribution zone between ~660 and 680, or $40+ of underlying reward. If we confirm 660 price target I will raise my stop loss to probably 650 and may also reduce my position size. I'm looking at the top side of the longer term descending triangle which is coming down into that price zone--that layering of TA tools suggests there will be some significant resistance. (Note: it may also present a new entry if we break out of the TL + the zone). So...given today's price action I'm less interested in running this particular position into earnings; there's a good chance I'm going to hit my price target and if that happens this position was a 100% win. No room for FOMO with TA.

For R:R, put the $20 risk and $40+ profit together and you get a 1:2 ratio, which is my minimum number for options (I like 1:3 and prefer 1:4 for shares). I also purposely bought OTM calls ($680) to mitigate CV risk via lower ∆ (than, say, ATM) and also so underlying price movement in my favor would run the contracts up the gamma and Vega 'bubbles' (as opposed to falling down the backside of those bubbles if I bought ATM). I would have bought closer to the money if it was a stronger entry (to maximize my time up high on those bubbles), but I wanted to protect the downside more than maximize the upside.

Because I didn't see price blowing way past $680 this week, I also sold -C680's for this week to create horizontal spreads (obviously I did this as one position, not as a separate ticket from the above +C's), which covered about ~3% of the +C's buy-in price. I'll roll those -C's either Thurs or Fri, likely up into a diagonal spread from the current horizontal. Gotta be careful with calendars because the P/L curve peaks and starts to come back down as underlying moves up past the short...

That's because you have you shown an unwillingness in this thread to try to understand what TA really is (and is not). That would be fine, if not for your continuing perspective on TA that is the trading equivalent of "Tom Brady Sucks". I disagree with your characterization and conclusion. perhaps my opinions and experiences differ from yours. Just because I do not value or agree with what you say does not mean I do not understand TA.

TA is not some abstract Nostradamus-like prediction of "I think charts will take a months to recover" (I really think it is. It is what my TA experience allowed me to say such things then.) followed by a self-back-patting in the form of "its a few months later and charts are improving". (Self back patting seemed appropriate, especially given the volumes of things shared here that really did not strike me as helpful or tradeable along with community response here) It is a methodology wherein a trader that uses various tools to objectively analyze price and volume over time, for the specific purpose of identifying high probability entries and exits and corollary risk/reward. The specific tools used and the manner in which they're weighted/layered are much less important; what matters most is that a trader develop a consistent and statistically relevant set of tools. To wit, I don't find the Awesome Indicator to be relevant in my analysis, but I'm not going to marginalize someone who finds value in it.

TA is not about being right all the time. It is about being methodical and analytical rather than aspirational, such that over a period of time the aggregate risk/reward and wins/losses returns profit. "I think charts are going to take months to recover" is aspirational. Recover from what? How many months? What does "recovery" look like? What do you do when it recovers? Conversely, "I've drawn this triangle and its bounding a consolidation, I'm going to enter on a breakout" is objective and actionable. ( Recovery looks like what I described where sellers get out, buyers take over. Classic example would be right side of a cup ala IBD. Gotta find the bottom first though).

FTR, TA actually breaks down the most in an ATHing situation, like we saw with much of last year. Since the peak earlier this year there have been plenty of TA signals. If one can't see those signals, that does not mean TA doesn't work, that means one is doing TA wrong. ( I really disagree with this. I would much rather buy all time highs and have been quite successful at it. Jack Dreyfus was a technician that bought new highs)

If a trader enters on a breakout and then exits position for profit [based on price analysis] before a "fade", that's literally the exact point of technical analysis. ( Good for the trader if they do this. I am interested in big large long moves, not a few days worth of stuff)

If you're looking for entries on B&H positions, TA--and certainly TA as an isolated method of analysis (so, not considering fundamentals, macros, etc.)--is the wrong approach.

Entry is on confirmation of a signal, typically some layering of TA tools. For instance, if there's a confirmed trend line and then a pro-gap breakout, that's a pretty strong entry signal. Additional layering of tools (in my case, I prefer price-volume accumulation/distribution zones and common moving averages) would increase or decrease the strength of that signal, and therefore would inform my aggression or conservatism with respect to position size and entry/exit.

It is hyper important to have a stop loss on entry in the event price action does not agree with one's probability analysis. In the case of a trend line break, a sensible stop loss would be on the 'bad' side of the trendline. So...if one enters the breakout but price reverses back under the TL, one takes the loss and move on. Or, if one is buying on retrace/confirmation of an accumulation zone, the stop loss might be at the bottom of that zone. Put another way, taking loss is explicitly part of TA.

For a real world example, I bought a few lots of September TSLA calls yesterday around 620, based on the relatively low IV, reasonable strength of the price floor from this ascending consolidation, the tapering consolidation itself, and a hedge that price and IV will run up a bit into earnings. (In other words, my analysis was a combination of TA proper and also fundamental analysis).

My stop was set at dropping out the bottom of the ascending triangle, which from a practical perspective would be around $600 (when I analyze price over time), or ~$20 risk. Obviously I'm up on the positions today (total profit for the lots are at ~40-42%); my stop price is now bumped to $0 loss.

My target price, as abstracted upthread as "high 600's", is in the illustrated price-volume distribution zone between ~660 and 680, or $40+ of underlying reward. If we confirm 660 price target I will raise my stop loss to probably 650 and may also reduce my position size. I'm looking at the top side of the longer term descending triangle which is coming down into that price zone--that layering of TA tools suggests there will be some significant resistance. (Note: it may also present a new entry if we break out of the TL + the zone). So...given today's price action I'm less interested in running this particular position into earnings; there's a good chance I'm going to hit my price target and if that happens this position was a 100% win. No room for FOMO with TA.

For R:R, put the $20 risk and $40+ profit together and you get a 1:2 ratio, which is my minimum number for options (I like 1:3 and prefer 1:4 for shares). I also purposely bought OTM calls ($680) to mitigate CV risk via lower ∆ (than, say, ATM) and also so underlying price movement in my favor would run the contracts up the gamma and Vega 'bubbles' (as opposed to falling down the backside of those bubbles if I bought ATM). I would have bought closer to the money if it was a stronger entry (to maximize my time up high on those bubbles), but I wanted to protect the downside more than maximize the upside.

I would suggest that short term traders (and technicians) should use a volatility based stop loss. Read the turtle books!
Because I didn't see price blowing way past $680 this week, I also sold -C680's for this week to create horizontal spreads (obviously I did this as one position, not as a separate ticket from the above +C's), which covered about ~3% of the +C's buy-in price. I'll roll those -C's either Thurs or Fri, likely up into a diagonal spread from the current horizontal. Gotta be careful with calendars because the P/L curve peaks and starts to come back down as underlying moves up past the short...