Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

turn off passenger side fan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ah damn, thanks. was hoping it wasnt just one fan. silly design.

Look at the drawings or better a disassembly. It's a very very clever design. It has a single source but the airflow steering is just minimalist, elegant, brilliant.

Now, it's true that sometimes the situation exceeds the capabilities of a design. Would it have been worth it to add more parts, more potential points of failure, more cost(!), just because your woman has this uncommon need? How many people wouldn't just adjust the air to flow to the sides, and be happy they're thermally cared for ?

Howz about you stuff some rags in, no wait, a nice COVID mask, or two, should do the job. And the mask(s) will be handy for whenever she exits the craft.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Look at the drawings or better a disassembly. It's a very very clever design. It has a single source but the airflow steering is just minimalist, elegant, brilliant.

Now, it's true that sometimes the situation exceeds the capabilities of a design. Would it have been worth it to add more parts, more potential points of failure, more cost(!), just because your woman has this uncommon need? How many people wouldn't just adjust the air to flow to the sides, and be happy they're thermally cared for ?

Howz about you stuff some rags in, no wait, a nice COVID mask, or two, should do the job. And the mask(s) will be handy for whenever she exits the craft.
So no one's refuting the fact that the HVAC has been reinvented by Tesla and the cool UI. However, the inability to shut off one side or adjust one side the a different temp is a miss on Tesla's part. My 2011 Toyota Sienna minivan has this capability. Just saying that Tesla could have done better here, but still give them props for the new UI and ability to control air flow.

Much easier/simpler/cheaper than 3D-printing a custom cover: Just buy some 3/4” foam backer rod*, cut an appropriate length piece, and shove it in the vent opening. Voila.

My brother had the same problem with his Model 3 and his wife, so I came up with this solution for them. It works pretty well. It blocks most of the airflow, is pretty stealthy/inconspicuous (you also can spray paint or Plastidip it black to make it even less visible), and it’s easily removable in case you have a different passenger that wants airflow.

Sika 3/4 in. Closed Cell Backer Rod-108130 - The Home Depot

(*I’m 99% sure it was the 3/4” size that worked best. The other 1% is 5/8”.)

Reactions: Adam3
what happens if you unsync the temperature? would the air on the the passenger side get warmer. My wife mostly complains about the fan speed after that. so I have her redirect the fan away from here body as mentioned. Even though I love the design, I do agree it would have been better to include a vent restriction of some type in the design. Something like in our other car where we can totally close those vents.
On a side note, I have never had a car with more than 1 fan controlling the speed on the forward vents.

One other possible idea to fix the issue.

I bought an Xvida Qi magnetic charger.
Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Mountable Pad for Smartphones
It fits exactly in the vent space, in landscape. I put my phone in front of my steering wheel, and can run an app if I want. One side effect, is it blocks the vent airflow from blowing on me.

You might find it useful to hold a phone, and block the vent from blowing on your hot girlfriend.
IMG_5823.jpeg

Much easier/simpler/cheaper than 3D-printing a custom cover: Just buy some 3/4” foam backer rod*, cut an appropriate length piece, and shove it in the vent opening. Voila.

My brother had the same problem with his Model 3 and his wife, so I came up with this solution for them. It works pretty well. It blocks most of the airflow, is pretty stealthy/inconspicuous (you also can spray paint or Plastidip it black to make it even less visible), and it’s easily removable in case you have a different passenger that wants airflow.

Sika 3/4 in. Closed Cell Backer Rod-108130 - The Home Depot

(*I’m 99% sure it was the 3/4” size that worked best. The other 1% is 5/8”.)

First, I'll note that I discovered in another thread that you can purchase the 3D-printed vent cover for $20 + $5.80 shipping here: Vent Cover for Tesla Model 3 by Ludicrous Tesla on Tindie

BUT... I still think my aforementioned solution using foam backer rod is better in pretty much every way. :) (It's definitely cheaper and stealthier, and I'm guessing more effective at blocking airflow too).

It is indeed the 3/4" size that works well, and the proper length should be about 14" long. Installation just involves pushing it all the way back into the vent opening. It can be easily removed at any time.

I used black PlastiDip to spray paint it black since that was all I had on hand, but I suspect regular black matte spray paint would work even better.

Here are some photos...

3/4" foam backer rod packaging:
upload_2020-6-30_23-52-47.png

Unpainted backer rod 14-inch-long piece:
upload_2020-6-30_23-54-7.png

Painted (black) backer rod piece:
upload_2020-6-30_23-55-9.png

Painted piece installed, with flash photo (barely visible):
upload_2020-6-30_23-55-47.png

Painted piece installed, without flash (practically invisible):
upload_2020-6-30_23-56-49.png

Unpainted piece installed, with flash photo:
upload_2020-6-30_23-57-47.png

Unpainted piece installed, without flash:
upload_2020-6-30_23-59-42.png

Last edited:
I believe one could use sausage. Sausage is an American industry that needs our support in our time of re-opening. A section of sausage can be used much like that grey inert backer rod. How about some finger-lickin' luscious cabin scents when taking the little woman out on the town? A sausage slot filler offers fashionable looks and suggestive flavors, like Hot Linkus, Linguisa Reddy and Smoky Hickey.

On my model Y
from the climate menu
you can swipe to move it off her and over to the driver,
but
you can tap the air flowing out to turn off.
Tap again to turn back on.
Does this actually work for one side? I tried it on my newly delivered M3P and it didn't seem to work though I could turn both sides off. Looks really cool but doesn't work very well seems to be a bit of a trend.

My M3 shuts the passenger side off when there's not a passenger in the car.
I discovered this when I was driving for the first time in 90 degree weather (alone). I thought something was wrong with my AC bc the cabin wasn't getting nearly cold enough, but it got plenty cold when I activated the passenger vents also. Haven't tried this with a passenger in the seat, though.

Reactions: tstolze