Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal stalk sometimes does not seem to do anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been driving my new 2021 Performance for a few weeks now and love it so far, but I've had this issue happen probably 2 or 3 times now. It seems to happen right after I make a turn (which disengages the turn signal) and I immediately follow it up with another turn signal to switch lanes. The stalk doesn't seem to work again during this period for a few seconds, requiring me to push it up (or down) multiple times until I hear my turn signals come in. Anyone run into this too?

Reactions: 4est
Been driving my new 2021 Performance for a few weeks now and love it so far, but I've had this issue happen probably 2 or 3 times now. It seems to happen right after I make a turn (which disengages the turn signal) and I immediately follow it up with another turn signal to switch lanes. The stalk doesn't seem to work again during this period for a few seconds, requiring me to push it up (or down) multiple times until I hear my turn signals come in. Anyone run into this too?

i have the same issue... it doesnt seem to go on sometimes and i have to click it on to get it to work... maybe i need a service

Yep, had this on my '18 LR and now on my '21 P. Haven't found the cause yet.

Try to note the times it happens so that service can look back at any recent, available data. No guarantees you'll find anything, but might help.
Service (via chat) got back to me asking just that, dates and times, so they could check logs. Hard to remember the exact times though so I just gave them a rough timestamp of what I remembered. Hopefully they do find something

When I go to a certain parking lot, I turn right into the parking lot and then left right away into a row of parking spaces. If I try to signal left before the steering wheel has centered, I actually just cancel the turn right signal and do not active the turn left. I either have to wait until my steering wheel is centered, or push the stick twice, first push cancels the turn right signal and the second one activates the turn left signal.

Reactions: rpiotro
I had an issue where sometimes my turn signal would just not engage about ~50% of the time, unless I pressed down multiple times. Tesla replaced the stalk and it seemed to improve before it started to happen again, so it was replaced again.

I was talking to the mobile service tech and he said they had to replace a fair amount of these due to the issue. I asked him if they've updated the stalks to fix the issue and he said they hadn't. Sure enough, my invoice showed an 'A' revision part number so it's never been updated. Interesting because Tesla tends to constantly revise and improve their parts over time based on service and engineering data. You'd think this would be one of them if it happens as frequently as I'm lead to believe.

Yep, frequently. We live on a corner lot. So we enter the neighborhood on one street, and then turn right onto the street our house fronts on. We are the first house on the left. So we go from a right turn immediately into a left turn. It's possible that I flip the stalk left before the car has even turned off the right indicator. Anyway, the rapid sequence seems to be the source of the issue.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Support could not replicate the issue so they advised me to just report it again when it happens.

I'm not entirely sure now if it's related to the quick sequence of turning then engaging the turn signal stalk again. I had issues again indicating a left turn signal to change lanes in a freeway to get out of the way of a merging lane to the right, but there was also a vehicle in the lane I wanted to switch to. The turn signal would not engage until that vehicle to my left was ahead of me. Not sure if that's an intended feature though, or just coincidence

So I've had what OP described where it only seems to happen _immediately_ after a different signal. Say a right into a parking lot, then immediate left into a cross-alley, and then immediate right into a row of parking spaces.

What I realized was there's actually a third turn signal activation mode.
1. Half press: 3 flashes
2. Full press: Continuous
3. Sustained half press: Keeps flashing as long as held.

It's this third mode that I accidentally trigger. If you're a little too lethargic activating one of the signals, or you try to cancel and don't release fully before activating the next signal, you'll start in this mode, and it'll start flashing, but immediately stop once you take your hand off the stalk. From my perspective, it seemed to cancel for no reason, but really it was this secret only-one-flash mode I discovered.

So I've had what OP described where it only seems to happen _immediately_ after a different signal. Say a right into a parking lot, then immediate left into a cross-alley, and then immediate right into a row of parking spaces.

What I realized was there's actually a third turn signal activation mode.
1. Half press: 3 flashes
2. Full press: Continuous
3. Sustained half press: Keeps flashing as long as held.

It's this third mode that I accidentally trigger. If you're a little too lethargic activating one of the signals, or you try to cancel and don't release fully before activating the next signal, you'll start in this mode, and it'll start flashing, but immediately stop once you take your hand off the stalk. From my perspective, it seemed to cancel for no reason, but really it was this secret only-one-flash mode I discovered.

That 'third' activation mode is mentioned in the manual. What you don't seem to be aware of, is with TACC enabled, if you're going slower than your set speed, it will also accelerate your car to the set speed for as long as hold the stick there. Useful for passing cars.

That 'third' activation mode is mentioned in the manual. What you don't seem to be aware of, is with TACC enabled, if you're going slower than your set speed, it will also accelerate your car to the set speed for as long as hold the stick there. Useful for passing cars.
It's mentioned in the Autopilot section, not the turn-signals section, so it's easy to miss. It also doesn't explain how it immediately stops blinking when withdrawing the stalk, whereas you might expect it to continue on to a 3-blink pattern.

Okay so this was eating at me. I think I know what it is:

If you do a full press in one direction, then you can cancel it by half-pressing in either direction.
HOWEVER
If you half-press in the opposite direction as the blinker, then there is a timeout that prevents you from activating that turn signal again after, even after you release the stalk fully. Probably there's a blockout to prevent double-presses in the same direction.

So to do quick indicator changes changing direction, you need to make sure you cancel using the half-press in the direction currently being indicated, then throw it over to engage the indicator in the other direction.

Okay so this was eating at me. I think I know what it is:

If you do a full press in one direction, then you can cancel it by half-pressing in either direction.
HOWEVER
If you half-press in the opposite direction as the blinker, then there is a timeout that prevents you from activating that turn signal again after, even after you release the stalk fully. Probably there's a blockout to prevent double-presses in the same direction.

So to do quick indicator changes changing direction, you need to make sure you cancel using the half-press in the direction currently being indicated, then throw it over to engage the indicator in the other direction.
The thing is, this happens without me cancelling anything. I just want to do a another turn signal after the current one disengages (after a completed turn) and sometimes, it just won't work.

The timeout though you are describing from doing a half-press cancel on the opposite direction would be really weird and frustrating I guess. Will have to check if my car does that too.