Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning off Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner and have really not been able to get any worthwhile response from my sales person or delivery people about some basic questions, so I have what are likely simple questions.

1. I park my Tesla in garage and leave car, with phone in pocket. When I get out, screen turns dark. Does this mean auto is turned ‘off”? Mirrors are not turned in. I would assume machine is running since I am close by with phone. If I go in house but stay within ~30 feet or so, with phone, would it ever turn off? If I actually lock the vehicle with phone does this turn the machine off? Maybe I am overthinking but I am concerned if I am away from home but not too far from vehicle. How do I know all is off and locked?

2. My map when I leave home is showing many locations. I cannot find a way to clear the map of these locations like restaurants. Is this normal?

3. if I am listening to Sirius XM, is there a way to change loudness from auto rather having to use the phone to adjust volume?

Thanks for helping a newbie !
Barry

main thing to remember - your Tesla is never really "off" as a gas car would be.
Its always doing something.
Most of everything else is configurable, like not locking when you're home etc.
Don't worry about it not being "off" - its more like in standby mode.
If its not in a garage or secure, set it to lock regardless. I was glad when it allowed me to leave it unlocked in the garage, much less hassle, but YMMV

Don't worry - its a common question for new owners.
The car uses its downtime to do things like do updates etc, but it never stops looking after the battery or checking things

1. The car will go to sleep on its own, as long as your phone is not inside of it and you do not setup and install any third party applications. Any third party applications have the ability to interfere with the sleep pattern of your car. Some can be set so they interfere "minimally" but that sometimes takes extra steps.

You could select "power off" in the menu to make it shut down "faster" but its not necessary. Just dont access your car via the tesla phone app too often as each time you do that will wake it up. Basically leave it alone, and it will sleep as long as you either dont setup any third party apps or, ensure that they are all configured properly for it to sleep.

2. Normal... your map is simply showing points of interest, like a google map would.

3. Streaming music using bluetooth, you should still be able to turn up the volume via the scroll wheel. You might need to turn up the sound on your smartphone first, as if you have it low on the phone, that can set the "maximum" level the volume can turn up to, to whatever your phone is setup for. This is not a tesla thing (I experienced it with my BMW too). Basically the sound for the device and the volume of the car are not one single volume, but two (in most cases).

I forgot to answer the "how do I know" bit
Set walk away lock and confirmation sound. When you walk away from the car (with your phone in your possession! ) the car will lock and give a short beep of the horn. When you look back you'll see the mirrors turning in.
Watch out though - if you unlock with the keycard, the walk away lock doesn't know because you didn't unlock with the phone.
Best use your phone as the key :)

You can also check in the app, it will give you the lock status

I forgot to answer the "how do I know" bit
Set walk away lock and confirmation sound. When you walk away from the car (with your phone in your possession! ) the car will lock and give a short beep of the horn. When you look back you'll see the mirrors turning in.
Watch out though - if you unlock with the keycard, the walk away lock doesn't know because you didn't unlock with the phone.
Best use your phone as the key :)

You can also check in the app, it will give you the lock status

We just have to find where to set up all of that. I have another question for the newbies: What exactly can you store for 'memory' on an M3 LR? Just seat/steering-wheel/mirrors? Or also like HVAC settings, driving settings, etc? And for how many drivers? Thank you.

Oh, and if you're working on the car inside, can you leave doors open (on first 'click'), and car goes to sleep after 'x' amount of time, like an ICE car? Or you just can't do that? Curious about that. Thx.

main thing to remember - your Tesla is never really "off" as a gas car would be.
Its always doing something.
Most of everything else is configurable, like not locking when you're home etc.
Don't worry about it not being "off" - its more like in standby mode.
If its not in a garage or secure, set it to lock regardless. I was glad when it allowed me to leave it unlocked in the garage, much less hassle, but YMMV

Don't worry - its a common question for new owners.have
The car uses its downtime to do things like do updates etc, but it never stops looking after the battery or checking things

Heh, fewer and fewer gas cars shut off also, or are difficult to shut off. My previous car was a 2020 Supra (a BMW inside) and it had 3 power modes. You could manually sleep it (hold down the power button on the radio), or trust the settings and locked door to sleep it but things could keep it awake and drain the battery.

My friend’s F8 Tributo drains its battery in 4 days! He jokes he knows what it’s like to have an EV since it has to sit on a charger...

We just have to find where to set up all of that. I have another question for the newbies: What exactly can you store for 'memory' on an M3 LR? Just seat/steering-wheel/mirrors? Or also like HVAC settings, driving settings, etc? And for how many drivers? Thank you.

Oh, and if you're working on the car inside, can you leave doors open (on first 'click'), and car goes to sleep after 'x' amount of time, like an ICE car? Or you just can't do that? Curious about that. Thx.

I am fairly certain, but not 100% positive, that the car will never go fully to sleep with any door open. Its not that big a deal, because if you have the door open, you are doing something. Probably 1-2 miles range loss an hour, which would be no big deal for few hours you are likely doing that.

I dont remember exactly whats saved, but I do know it saves driver modes, seat, mirrors, etc. My wifes setting has the car in chill mode while my setting has the car its regular driving mode.

Settings are stored to a key, but I dont remember what the maximum number of keys are. I have 4 paired right now (2 phones, 2 keycards). I am fairly certain its in the manual somewhere, though.