Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning Off the car????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s no such thing as turning it on or off. That’s ICE thinking. If your heat is continuing to run until you come back, perhaps the pressure sensor in the driver’s seat is stuck and it thinks you’re still in the car.

To actually answer your question... :D You put it in Park, get out, close the door and walk away. When the doors lock and your phone loses contact, everything should shut down.

On an S or X with auto fold, the mirrors fold. On a 3 this also happens and the horn honks (if enabled) (wish the others did this!).

So, if things aren’t shutting down *then*, then it’s an issue.

Note that the sound system doesn’t have an off button. Mute it with the left scroll wheel.

This is the issue. It used about 18km (11miles) of power overnight.

It was cold outside 9C or 45F, but the car was still at 20C or 68F in the morning.

I was out of town for a week and I noticed that I lost about 3 miles of range every day.

I am planning a 60 days trip, and I wonder if there is a deep sleep mode where everithing get disconnected,
even the LTE remote access? If such sleep mode exists, what would be the way to do it and then to reactivate the car?

I was out of town for a week and I noticed that I lost about 3 miles of range every day.

I am planning a 60 days trip, and I wonder if there is a deep sleep mode where everithing get disconnected,
even the LTE remote access? If such sleep mode exists, what would be the way to do it and then to reactivate the car?
For long term storage it’s recommended you plug the car in and set the charge level at 50%.

Reactions: dendenyc
Neither do the Bolt or Ford Focus turn themselves off by just leaving the car....you actually have to press the POWER button.
Bolt will eventually turn off after two hours....it is a pain especially driving Tesla and Bolt daily.
One interesting thing on Bolt is that it shifts to Park if you leave the car (while leaving it in D/N/R) ...hard to pull it out of a ditch or mud unless you have two people)

Like many other EV owners and future owners, I don't currently have a plug to keep the car charged when I'm at home.
A regular 120V outlet will trickle charge your car if you use the supplied Universal Mobile Connector (UMC). It's about 3 or 4 miles per hour of charge. That should cover any kind of "phantom drain", unless you turn on cabin overheat protection.

Reactions: brkaus
A regular 120V outlet will trickle charge your car if you use the supplied Universal Mobile Connector (UMC). It's about 3 or 4 miles per hour of charge. That should cover any kind of "phantom drain", unless you turn on cabin overheat protection.
I don't have currently access to a 120 V outlet.
The question I had was if there was a deep sleep mode, that could be activated during a long absence.
At least to disconnect the cell connection, since the car is inside a garage without any wireless access.
And may be having a timer to automatically reactivate the normal mode at a given date and time?

Last edited:
I don't have currently access to a 120 V outlet.
The question I had was if there was a deep sleep mode, that could be activated during a long absence.
At least to disconnect the cell connection, since the car is inside a garage without any wireless access.
And may be having a timer to automatically reactivate the normal mode at a given date and time?
Your information is scanty. Why can't you get electric power access? Is there a friend that can let you plug in at their residence? You can't leave many ICE cars for 60 days now and expect them to start. You may be able to charge it to 100%, turn off remote access and leave it 60 days. "Phantom" drain has been reduced to a few miles a day. It's level of "sleep" is automatically controlled. There is a factory transport mode but that is currently not accessible by owners

The other day I had to pick up my son and had to sit in front for a few minutes until he came out. It was dark out so my lights, on auto, were on. How do you turn off the car if you're going to be sitting in it for a while but don't want the lights and climate running the whole time. Same thing would apply at say a drive in.

The other day I had to pick up my son and had to sit in front for a few minutes until he came out. It was dark out so my lights, on auto, were on. How do you turn off the car if you're going to be sitting in it for a while but don't want the lights and climate running the whole time. Same thing would apply at say a drive in.
You don’t turn off the car. You can turn off the lights and turn off the climate if you want to, but other than lights at a drive-in I can’t imagine why you would while you’re in the car. It’s not like you’re spewing exhaust by keeping them on. Both are controlled from the touchscreen. Lemme guess, you haven’t RTFM, have you?