Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turo Doesn't Follow their Agreement with Hosts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus $350 for the wheel PLUS whatever amount of time you put in for small claim.
I've been through a few small claims and I'd always added my time (I told them my time is worth $500/hr) to the claim.
In the end, it'd cost Turo a lot more NOT to accommodate you to begin with.

This is a good idea about adding your time that I've never thought of. I think OP should consider small claims, and make sure to add in his time to the bill. It would not surprise me if you get a call from Turo the moment they see the court summons to offer you your money.

OP how disheartening to hear about the damage and the issue you are having with Turo. I was also going to suggest small claims, which if you can't get anywhere with the company would be an appropriate venue for relief. BTW best of luck on the job front.

Reactions: Deslah
You have to be careful with Turo even if you are a renter. They used to sell a rather pricey insurance package but only after you read the fine print (not easy to find) do you find out that even if you purchase the most expensive car insurance option they used to sell that it is considered SECONDARY insurance. So god forbid you have an accident, they will just go through your own insurance so what you paid them could be worthless.

When you are involved with these rental programs, always ask for and read the fine print.

We instead opted for GetAround as their insurance is PRIMARY and therefore will be "first in line" god forbid you need it.

You have to be careful with Turo even if you are a renter. They used to sell a rather pricey insurance package but only after you read the fine print (not easy to find) do you find out that even if you purchase the most expensive car insurance option they used to sell that it is considered SECONDARY insurance. So god forbid you have an accident, they will just go through your own insurance so what you paid them could be worthless.

When you are involved with these rental programs, always ask for and read the fine print.

We instead opted for GetAround as their insurance is PRIMARY and therefore will be "first in line" god forbid you need it.
Check with your credit cards. I have two that offer free PRIMARY insurance when renting - and yes, having it as primary is a huge deal.

I think these startups like uber/lyft/turo/etc provide a cool service, at the expensive of ignoring the evils of humanity, and thus don't provide protection against "the worst", assuming everyone will be "the best".

Not trying to stereotype here, but you started it ;). The reality is that these startups stem from a small part of the country where the prevailing demographic believes in a utopian world where everybody loves one another, is fundamentally good, has everybody else's best interests at heart, and everybody who is a large earner should willingly and forcefully share their wealth with lesser fortunate people. It's a happy utopia! So in their view, why would anyone want to hurt your car? Why would anyone who actually does hurt your car not want to pay to fix it?

I have rented my Model S on Turo several dozen times, have a 5 star review, and have dealt with their insurance, as well. My insurance experience was not great, but they did stand behind it (after a fight). In my opinion, the big mistake you made was taking it in before filing the claim. Or, taking it in before they acknowledged the claim. There are back-line numbers you can call to speak with someone better than their front line customer service... I did that and got somewhere a little further.

My experiences with Turo have been steadily declining from when I first started doing it 2.5 years ago. They were fantastic in the beginning, but now it's gotten pretty bad. The last few rentals have been nightmares. My last renter effectively "stole" my car and I had to go repossess it after Turo shrugged their shoulders and told me to call the cops. The one before that the guy was late, I assessed the late fee, the guy calls Turo and complains, then Turo calls me to try to talk me out of assessing it... he was 4 hours late and I had to stay up late to get my car. I've also had the no charge return issue - Turo did indeed pay for the tow to a Supercharger... but they did not reimburse me for the 3-4 hours of time that I lost in the process.

Lately I've priced my car way high so that I don't get rentals anymore. But, I will also say this, you definitely sign up for the trouble. People are people, and you can't honestly tell me that you've not driven your Tesla up to 100mph at any time? These renters have usually never driven a Tesla, so they want to experience it. That part does not bother me. So please temper your expectations about dents, dings, scratches, fast driving, etc. That part comes with the territory.

The reality is that these startups stem from a small part of the country where the prevailing demographic believes in a utopian world where everybody loves one another, is fundamentally good, has everybody else's best interests at heart, and everybody who is a large earner should willingly and forcefully share their wealth with lesser fortunate people.

Can confirm. I live in this small part of the country and work for a startup that believes that no one will have our robotaxi arrive to pick them up and find puke/food/other messes in the car left by the last rider. (We don't really believe that but do believe there's a technological solution to detect it. I'm not sure if I agree.)

Check with your credit cards. I have two that offer free PRIMARY insurance when renting - and yes, having it as primary is a huge deal.

Even with your credit cards, be super careful and read the fine print. Many have maximum values where if a car is above that maximum stated value, their coverage is essentially zero. Some only provide insurance for cars worth $50K, 60K, 75K, etc., Some exclude cars they call "exotic." A Tesla could easily fall through the cracks in the fine print for various exclusions.

And realize credit card insurance stipulations and fine print can change at any time.

I have a couple of high end credit cards, including Chase Sapphire Reserve, but honestly never felt comfortable counting on them knowing they can all have various exclusions and can change their programs whenever they want even if you look it up. I prefer renting from a company that provides PRIMARY insurance coverage on their own so god forbid something happens they can deal with it themselves as I've bought the insurance coverage directly from them.

When we travel, for peace of mind, we always get primary insurance from the rental company and the last time we looked into Turo, we decided not to use them because in the fine print it said their policy is SECONDARY.

Can confirm. I live in this small part of the country and work for a startup that believes that no one will have our robotaxi arrive to pick them up and find puke/food/other messes in the car left by the last rider. (We don't really believe that but do believe there's a technological solution to detect it. I'm not sure if I agree.)

There is already a technological solution.

Just call it "beta" and problem solved. :p

Even with your credit cards, be super careful and read the fine print. Many have maximum values where if a car is above that maximum stated value, their coverage is essentially zero. Some only provide insurance for cars worth $50K, 60K, 75K, etc., Some exclude cars they call "exotic." A Tesla could easily fall through the cracks in the fine print for various exclusions.

And realize credit card insurance stipulations and fine print can change at any time.

I have a couple of high end credit cards, including Chase Sapphire Reserve, but honestly never felt comfortable counting on them knowing they can all have various exclusions and can change their programs whenever they want even if you look it up. I prefer renting from a company that provides PRIMARY insurance coverage on their own so god forbid something happens they can deal with it themselves as I've bought the insurance coverage directly from them.

When we travel, for peace of mind, we always get primary insurance from the rental company and the last time we looked into Turo, we decided not to use them because in the fine print it said their policy is SECONDARY.
The Sapphire Reserve only covers up to 75k, the other one I have isn't available to new cardholders but it has absolutely zero restrictions or fine print (and I do check frequently to make sure it hasn't changed)

have you tried talking with the renter, half the time, ive had pretty good luck dealing with it outside of turo insurance.

another tip is to escalate through email to have a manager look at the issue, often times the lower tiers dont have power to do anything. ive never called them. email is best.

my last advice to anyone on here looking to put their tesla on turo is that if you care about your car then dont put it on turo.

Kevin, wait...what? You’re renting your beautiful Sig P85 on Turo - 57 times!! - and surely you must care about your limited edition Tesla, no? And you’re charging less than $100 per day, so you have me totally worried about my first Turo rental of my Volt tomorrow. :eek: (And it’s just a Volt!!) I also advertise other vehicles on Turo, and I’ve rented my Slingshot for up to $249 per day (less about 30% to Turo) with zero problems.

I even tried to cancel my Turo rental for tomorrow when the renter seemed extra sketchy (name came through as Mr Z, not close to his real name...and he wanted me to deliver my Volt and leave the keys with his minor son for $60 extra...then wanted to extend for a few extra hours yet didn’t want to pay for 2nd day). Not to mention the ice/snow storm and -30F temps being forecast! Many red flags, while I was in Cancun on vacation, and he’s texting me past midnight. Yet it was impossible to easily cancel on Turo without my 5-star rating to suffer, plus possibly a Turo “fine” and a note that I was the bad guy canceling due to him breaking Turo’s policies. So I’m still delivering my Volt tomorrow and praying I don’t watch it leave town forever on the MyChevy tracking app as he pawns it to a Chicago chop shop, and the Chicago police laugh at my request to do something. :( or :mad: ...not sure which emotion I now have.

I may have a story posted on Sunday that is far worse than OP’s; let’s hope not!

The Sapphire Reserve only covers up to 75k, the other one I have isn't available to new cardholders but it has absolutely zero restrictions or fine print (and I do check frequently to make sure it hasn't changed)

Keep checking :rolleyes: They all usually have fine print when it comes to car insurance coverage... Even if you check their policies can change at any time. I prefer getting a policy ON PAPER from the renter...

Also realize even if your credit card covers the damage to the car. The renter cal bill you for loss of use at $200 per day or whatever they come up with. With the long repair times, the loss of use fee could easily exceed the damage bill. Another reason why it is better to get the insurance directly from the renting company as they can;t then come after you for anything else.

He only drove 100 mph? What a 'rolling roadblock' he must have been... ;)

Just kidding! Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I rented a Model S in Hawaii a few years ago through Turo. It was almost new and very wonderful. But the owner was a bit nervous about it, so I reassured them that I treat cars with great respect. Still, I charged it to 90% to make it around the island, and I did test out the acceleration - why not? Otherwise, I treated it like the apple of my eye...

Hope Turo compensates you, and you find a new job soon.

I honestly don't understand the desire to make money off the car versus the potential for asshat driver damage....or even worse, some low-life actually smoking in the car! This does not compute! I'd rather sell a kidney or at the very least some plasma versus renting my car!

Reactions: SO16
I decided to rent my 2017 Model S on Turo in San Francisco. First renter was last weekend. I purchased the "total coverage" most expenses TURO HOST insurance. ZERO OUT OF POCKET!. It cost 35% of the rental revenue. So I paid over $100 as the HOST for a 3 day rental for the "pease of mind". The renter drove my car to LA at speeds approaching 100 MPH (I was watching in horror on the Tesla app). On day three he returned the car to the TURO valet lot with a 7 % charge. (It could not be driven to the nearest supercharger). In the process of rushing to turn the car in the renter hit a curb with the right rear tire hard enough to bend the rim! I took my beautiful 2017 Model S to the San Rafael Tesla service center for repair. (expecting TURO would follow their contract with me). The replacement wheel was $350. Tesla said the impact damaged the alignment and strongly recommended a re-alignment..another $200. TURO called the damage "curb rash" and refused to pay!!!!!! TURO does not answer their phone or return calls. You are 100% on your own. If you are considering using TURO as a HOST I would suggest caution.

UPDATE: TURO "will" pay for the alignment "if" the Tesla Service Center will state the curb strike caused the alignment problem. Even though the Tesla Service Advisor told me that was the reason for the $200 alignment (i did not authorize..but would have if they call me) Tesla will "NOT" put that in writing to TURO!