Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two flats in two weeks - and no TPM warning on one of them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not fun:
Episode 1 - Picked up a nail in the rear passenger near the outer tread two weeks ago. Long story short, TPM warned me and pressure dropped quickly. Safely pulled over and Tesla emergency service dispatched a third party towing company with a loaner wheel. Had my tire replaced a week later at Tesla Cherry Hill (tire couldn't be patched since the puncture was too close to the outer tread).

Episode 2 - Less than a week after having my rear passenger replaced, I got into my car which was parked in an underground garage - started to make my way towards the exit of the garage and heard some odd rubbing noise coming from the back of the car. Got out and the driver side rear tire is completely flat. I pull up the TPM and "---" reading on all four tires. The TPM warning never came on. I'm guessing it's another nail, etc. - I didn't go over any pot holes. I called Tesla Emergency roadside and they tell me that they can't locate any loaner wheels and since the service center is closed, they would have to tow me - but they can't get a tow truck into this garage. So, unless I want to pull my car up to the street level with 0 psi (and risk damaging the rim), I need to stay put until 8 am tomorrow when someone can get to me with a jack and a loaner wheel (and change out the tire inside the garage).
Here's where it's interesting/(possibly) worth posting: If I damaged my rim while driving at very low speed on a rim that had a completely flat tire and the TPM warning did not come on when I got into the car, I am going to refuse to pay for it. I had Tesla document/confirm that the TPM warning did not come on. Had the light come on, I wouldn't have pulled out of the parking spot in the first place. Since I documented it, I refuse to try to drive the car out of the garage - assuming the risk that I could damage the rim if I did that. So, we'll see what they find when they get the tire off the car (praying it can be patched this time and also praying for no damage to the rim). Either way, it's annoying and it sucks.

Interesting - and I think I have seen other cars require some driving before it calibrates (but BMWs tell you at start up if you have low tire pressure - often a bit too sensitive in cold weather). That said, you would think that on a car this advanced that they'd develop a sensor that would be able to tell you if a tire was completely flat at start up and shouldn't be driven on at all (vs. something that would be calibrated to show a sudden loss while driving or a slow leak).

Not fun:
Episode 1 - Picked up a nail in the rear passenger near the outer tread two weeks ago. Long story short, TPM warned me and pressure dropped quickly. Safely pulled over and Tesla emergency service dispatched a third party towing company with a loaner wheel. Had my tire replaced a week later at Tesla Cherry Hill (tire couldn't be patched since the puncture was too close to the outer tread).

Episode 2 - Less than a week after having my rear passenger replaced, I got into my car which was parked in an underground garage - started to make my way towards the exit of the garage and heard some odd rubbing noise coming from the back of the car. Got out and the driver side rear tire is completely flat. I pull up the TPM and "---" reading on all four tires. The TPM warning never came on. I'm guessing it's another nail, etc. - I didn't go over any pot holes. I called Tesla Emergency roadside and they tell me that they can't locate any loaner wheels and since the service center is closed, they would have to tow me - but they can't get a tow truck into this garage. So, unless I want to pull my car up to the street level with 0 psi (and risk damaging the rim), I need to stay put until 8 am tomorrow when someone can get to me with a jack and a loaner wheel (and change out the tire inside the garage).
Here's where it's interesting/(possibly) worth posting: If I damaged my rim while driving at very low speed on a rim that had a completely flat tire and the TPM warning did not come on when I got into the car, I am going to refuse to pay for it. I had Tesla document/confirm that the TPM warning did not come on. Had the light come on, I wouldn't have pulled out of the parking spot in the first place. Since I documented it, I refuse to try to drive the car out of the garage - assuming the risk that I could damage the rim if I did that. So, we'll see what they find when they get the tire off the car (praying it can be patched this time and also praying for no damage to the rim). Either way, it's annoying and it sucks.

If a flat tire results in wheel or tire damage, Tesla is NOT liable for that. Your comprehensive insurance would likely cover the damage though. As mentioned earlier, TMPS requires time to calibrate if it was an initial flat tire. I generally inspect the car before I get in it so if you do that, you will see if there is an initial flat.

If it is a slow leak, you might want to consider keeping a small compressor in the car. It might help you at least get the car somewhere safe or accessible.

If a flat tire results in wheel or tire damage, Tesla is NOT liable for that. Your comprehensive insurance would likely cover the damage though. As mentioned earlier, TMPS requires time to calibrate if it was an initial flat tire. I generally inspect the car before I get in it so if you do that, you will see if there is an initial flat.

If it is a slow leak, you might want to consider keeping a small compressor in the car. It might help you at least get the car somewhere safe or accessible.
I get it - but other car manufacturers seem to warn of low tire pressure at start up. I don't need a full accounting of the psi in each wheel, but for such a smart car, this seems like something that should be standard (it is standard in my mom's Altima). Separately, I can't imagine walking around my car to look for flat tires every time I am about to go somewhere - maybe if the car has been sitting for a few days, but after one night, prob not.