Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Kinds of Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found there are two kinds of driving that I enjoy. I categorize them loosely as "zooming" and "cruising".

Zooming is what real sports cars are made for. I love getting out on the narrow, lightly travelled, farm-to-market roads and zooming around. There are corners, there are hills. It's a highly interactive experience, as I am constantly steering, shifting, and manipulating the throttle and brakes. My Lotus Esprit V8 is perfect for this kind of driving. It has great road-holding ability, great feedback through the steering and suspension, and the turbocharged engine is always ready and eager. It's fun!

Cruising is my catch-all term for relaxed, low-speed driving. That could be driving around town, or it could be on those same country roads. It's about seeing the sights, smelling the fresh air, and chilling out. I find the Esprit is a poor choice for this. It doesn't have a cruise control, and it's hard to keep the speed from creeping higher. It's not happy at low speeds, as the truck-like motor and transmission noise in low gears constantly nag at me. The side windows are small, which impedes sightseeing. The moon roof, on the few times I've opened it, actually draws smells from the engine compartment into the cabin. And of course, all the gear shifting becomes simply a nuisance in town.

One of the reasons why I personally want a Tesla Roadster is because I can see it really excelling in both of these situations. I reckon it should prove just as fun as the Esprit when zooming around those country roads. When taking them slower, I can imagine rolling along with the top off, no funny smells, minimal engine noise, and the cruise control set on 40 or 50 MPH -- while I check out the bluebonnets, the longhorns grazing, and the fiery sunsets.

I think our highway system is one of the great, under-appreciated wonders of the modern world. I'm fortunate enough to live in a small town, out in the country away from big city traffic and freeways; I can easily hop in my car and take a spin around the back roads anytime. There's very little traffic on those roads, and I don't remember seeing any highway patrol on them in the many years I've lived here. Basically nobody cares whether I drive 90 MPH or 45 MPH out there, and with the Tesla Roadster I could enjoy doing either one, as the mood strikes me.

That's my vision anyhow, and that's why I'm saving my pennies and eagerly waiting for Tesla to bring the cars into production and bring Texas into their service area.

I live in LA, need I say more and i drive a stick, a six speed low torque car, perfect for having to constantly shift.
I'm thinking the tesla will be perfect for LA because of its gear box. When traffic, it'll be a pleasure and when not it will be awsome
handling of a lotus elise

I think the Roadster is more of a "zoomer" than "cruiser".
For cruising you would probably like something a bit bigger, possibly even with back seats to take some friends along.

Regarding the 2 kinds of driving ...

I agree about the Cruising and Zooming. The range will vary based upon how you drive. We all know that. It is interesting to note that the EPA numbers for Prius have been dropped from the 51/60 to mid to upper 40s. This is because real drivers are zooming rather than cruising. In my Prius I am getting upper 50s ...although I was getting upper 40s on the first tank. The Prius lets you learn to drive for mileage (range) with the MPG bar charts on the screen. I consider having a Prius to be very good training for how to cruise in my Tesla.
If I am out on a drive and discover that I am marginal on range, I will change habits and extend it... On the Prius, I can actually extend to the 70 MPG range
by driving carefully. I believe that this self training will allow me to extend the Tesla to over 300 mile range. Folks behind will probably not mind looking at the rear of a sexy TESLA going carefully down the road. When I have done it with the Prius they have not minded ... they were looking at the license plate (Plug In)
and I would love to know the conversations. However, they were polite to me:smile:.

Didn't you say that you sold to big oil for your Tesla?

(Not that there's anything wrong with that. I would do it too!)

It's natural gas, not oil. I think I have one dinky little oil well somewhere that barely produces anything, and all the rest is gas.

Yeah, I got lucky last year. We signed a drilling lease for our ranch property that will pay for the Roadster with some to spare. And if the drillers actually strike gas, then there will be royalties.