Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Model 3 Dual Motors compared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have two model 3 AWD Dual Motor cars. We went all in! Both configured the same except for color.

Both running Aero's.
Both running OEM primacy's.
Both running 42PSI.
Hers has had her tires rotated and the tires have about 2500 more miles on them.(hers 8500 miles, mine 6000 miles)
Same road as we only turn right or left out of our neighborhood as the comparison. Same speed.

Every time I get into my wife's car I am always amazed at how the road noise is several Db's less than mine.

The tire wear seems fine(not scientific but looks like i have 7/32 left with even wear with 6,000 miles.

My car after driving hers this morning she was getting under 200wh per mile on a drive I am always at about 220-240.

Makes me feel like I have a wheel bearing issue.

What am I missing here to help narrow this down and get help, if help is needed?

We have two model 3 AWD Dual Motor cars. We went all in! Both configured the same except for color.

Both running Aero's.
Both running 42PSI.
Hers has had her tires rotated and the tires have about 2500 more miles on them.(hers 8500 miles, mine 6000 miles)
Same road as we only turn right or left out of our neighborhood as the comparison. Same speed.

Every time I get into my wife's car I am always amazed at how the road noise is several Db's less than mine.

The tire wear seems fine(not scientific but looks like i have 7/32 left with even wear with 6,000 miles.

My car after driving hers this morning she was getting under 200wh per mile on a drive I am always at about 220-240.

What am I missing here to help narrow this down and get help, if help is needed?

Could be a bearing issue. Did you try contacting the local SC to see what they think?

Just made an appointment but it’s in Boston.. so hopefully they can mobile service this. At least to diagnose it.

If you used the app to schedule the service, there is a text field where you can communicate your desires and describe the issue. In that field, you could request mobile service. If no available, they will call you in a few days.

Both running Aero's.
Both running 42PSI.

Your alignment may have a little more toe.

Reactions: Big Earl
Maybe your wife broke hers in better. ;)

I doubt it’s a bearing. Could be alignment. Even if wearing even. Might not be enough mileage to tell by tire wear.

BTW someone did find a void allowing noise into cabin. They used an IR camera to find it. Tesla couldn’t find it but the owner did. Glaring assembly error.

Google for it. It was on this forum or the other popular forum.

Interesting issue though. Because there are a lot of discussion around people’s experiences. And folks that think there car is normal/ correct might not be.

Have an infrared thermometer? They are pretty cheap. Check the tire's temperatures after the same test and check the inside, outside, and middle temperature of each tire of each car. That might point to an alignment problem even though the visible wear is not indicating anything.

@mswlogo, I actually have a set of your aero wheels and did a deal a few months ago for a trade of my 19 inch sport wheels for them!

Just about to be rotated.

I’ll see about an infrared thermometer.

Probably will see about an alignment too. The car is smoother than anything I’ve ever driven(both) with no shakes at all.

My wife gets a lot better wh/mile ratio than me as well on all of our Teslas, I’m a much more aggressive driver

The additional road noise you get might be a manufacturing difference. Bjorn Nyland finds the Model 3 road noise to be excessive and he paid someone to noiseproof it for him (he made a video on it).

I drove all 3 of our model 3’s one day and noticed the power steering strained more in the LR RWD. I had a Tesla tech ride with me and he reported it normal - I just accepted this and counted on the car flashing a message if the power steering does go out (in which case I will bring to service).

My advice is to not worry about the perceived difference - you would likely be told the car is operating under normal parameters and all of the logistics to diagnose would be for naught.

Your alignment may have a little more toe.
I have had "wheel bearing noises" since delivery. Hunted and finally got an answer yesterday. Alignment issue. The front tires are cupped. Inside edge.
IMG_6847.JPG

Reactions: beachmiles
@mswlogo, I actually have a set of your aero wheels and did a deal a few months ago for a trade of my 19 inch sport wheels for them!

Just about to be rotated.

I’ll see about an infrared thermometer.

Probably will see about an alignment too. The car is smoother than anything I’ve ever driven(both) with no shakes at all.

My car drove incredibly smooth for 6000 miles, when I rotated the tires. Only then did I realize my front inner tread was feathered, on both fronts. Had it aligned, toe was 1 degree off on both fronts. Before, I was getting in the 220Wh range on my normal daily route. Since then, I'm getting in the 190Wh range. So, it could be your toe needs adjusting, but you did say the wear was even, so it's a little puzzling.

Just reporting back and confirming several other posters previous posts. I went to get an alignment today and indeed it was off. Here is my report on it. @KenC also tires rotated at 6200 miles. A bit of inside cup as well.

Have not had a full day of driving yet to see the true results wh/mi but the noise reduction is dramatic(installed door seals, roof gasket kit....)

The other model 3 is going to get an alignment next week.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 84
Just reporting back and confirming several other posters previous posts. I went to get an alignment today and indeed it was off. Here is my report on it. @KenC also tires rotated at 6200 miles. A bit of inside cup as well.

Have not had a full day of driving yet to see the true results wh/mi but the noise reduction is dramatic(installed door seals, roof gasket kit....)

The other model 3 is going to get an alignment next week.

Huh, the total toe didn't change much, but based on the bias, it looks like you car may have been crabbing down the road which would impact aerodynamics.