Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two month wait for quarter panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my wife a M3 in July and told her, "Best car in the world but DO NOT wreck it!". Heard so many horror stories about repairs. Less than a month later a 73 year old lady forgets to brake at red light and rear ends my MS!

Was hoping the stories would not hold true, but I am on month 2 waiting for a quarter panel and nose cone. Certified dealer said it would be MARCH before they could fix it. Took it to a non-certified dealer, they ordered parts... still waiting. Every week it gets "escalated".

Love this company but this hurts the brand. Anyone else have success in speeding up ordered parts?

Similar thing happened to me. I got backed into by a ski resort van in February. Just finally got the car fixed in early September. I hope yours is still driveable while you wait. Driving a rental for a month was less than stellar.

Why do they have to order a nose cone if your wife got rear ended?

Tips from experience:
- Don't let a non-cert shop work on your Tesla even if you have to wait longer
- File a diminished value claim after the work is done. I'm getting $4000 for a damaged quarter panel from the other person's insurance company.
- Call, call, call the body shop. My body shop would sit on parts for weeks at a time because they "were too busy to work on my car"
- Again, call, call, call Tesla. Their body shop number will give you better updates than your own body shop.
Don't use Stuttgart in Denver (I know this is really specific but I just hate these guys although they do pretty good work)

Just picked up my S from a Tesla certified body shop, Flower Hill. They do work for Syosett Tesla Service Center and Certified repair shop for Aston Martin, Porsche, McLaren. They did a great job, loaded V9. 45 days turn around time.

Attachments

• F5EF75AD-041A-4B11-A507-C98EA807F0CD.jpeg
    F5EF75AD-041A-4B11-A507-C98EA807F0CD.jpeg
    674.2 KB · Views: 78
  • E8CCCD29-B499-44A5-9F4D-C9907C8679DA.jpeg
    E8CCCD29-B499-44A5-9F4D-C9907C8679DA.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 44
It took 3 months for me to get a rear quarter for my Model S. Got a dent in a parking lot and they replaced the panel. Car was down from late March to July. I actually trailered the car home and kept it plugged in while waiting for parts and took it back after the parts came in. That is the worst part of owning a Tesla, but looks like they are starting to become sensitive to the issue.

I had hood damage and broken windshield in early May 2018. While the windshield was replaced within a week. I am now scheduled for next week for the hood replacement. It would be almost 6 months to get it replaced. Thankfully the car is driveable.

by dealer you mean bodyshop? QP's take a long time yes, from certified body shops

a non certified tesla bodyshop is incapable of ordering a QP from tesla.
Yes, meant body shop, not dealer. Can't believe I said dealer! Non-certified body shop can (and did) order a QP from Tesla. They simply order through Tesla Service Center (using VIN), then pick it up. They ordered a variety of parts, all came in except QP and nose cone.

Similar thing happened to me. I got backed into by a ski resort van in February. Just finally got the car fixed in early September. I hope yours is still driveable while you wait. Driving a rental for a month was less than stellar.

Why do they have to order a nose cone if your wife got rear ended?
I got rear ended (Model S- not my wife's 3) and was pushed forward into another car and damaged the nose cone. Thought it was ironic that I told her not to wreck the 3, then I get hit a few weeks later.

I am able to drive my S during all this. I can't imagine how unbearable this would be if I could not drive it. I am thankful for that, at least. I will say I got hit HARD and thought there would be more damage than there was. My daughter was with me and she said the same thing. Still love the car but not this wait!

Got my wife a M3 in July and told her, "Best car in the world but DO NOT wreck it!". Heard so many horror stories about repairs. Less than a month later a 73 year old lady forgets to brake at red light and rear ends my MS!

Was hoping the stories would not hold true, but I am on month 2 waiting for a quarter panel and nose cone. Certified dealer said it would be MARCH before they could fix it. Took it to a non-certified dealer, they ordered parts... still waiting. Every week it gets "escalated".

Love this company but this hurts the brand. Anyone else have success in speeding up ordered parts?
Overall, seems to be the normal. This was prior to all the 3's hitting the market. Will be interesting to see what happens now.

Yes, meant body shop, not dealer. Can't believe I said dealer! Non-certified body shop can (and did) order a QP from Tesla. They simply order through Tesla Service Center (using VIN), then pick it up. They ordered a variety of parts, all came in except QP and nose cone.

I am totally surprised then. QP's is on the list of "we dont sell this to non certified shops". Unless this policy has changed, I think we'd hear more about it.

But if it gets the job done!

I got rear ended (Model S- not my wife's 3) and was pushed forward into another car and damaged the nose cone. Thought it was ironic that I told her not to wreck the 3, then I get hit a few weeks later.

I am able to drive my S during all this. I can't imagine how unbearable this would be if I could not drive it. I am thankful for that, at least. I will say I got hit HARD and thought there would be more damage than there was. My daughter was with me and she said the same thing. Still love the car but not this wait!

Wow, that was a reading comprehension brain fart on my part. My bad.
I'm glad you get to drive your car. I hated the rental they gave me for a month while my MS was in the shop. I couldn't get the insurance company to pay $225/day for a Tesla from Enterprise. Haha.

I would venture to guess that a certified shop will get higher parts priority than non.
Yes, I think the certified shops definitely get priority (as they should). But I could not wait until March (7 months wait at that time). But it may end up being that much of a wait anyway. This should not be the norm. But others have it worse by not being able to drive during the wait. There are only 2 certified shops in NC. Definitely need more as both have a huge backlog.