Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two questions about the Summon feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I have two questions about the Summon feature - from a 'classic' MS owner. I have not seen this addressed in the v7.1 thread, but maybe I missed it.

1. What size object(s) can the car detect (and not detect) when driving itself into or out of a parking space? What type/size of objects will the car detect and stop for, and will it 'not see' and run over?

2. Could the car potentially close the garage door onto itself? In other words, how does the car know that it is fully inside the garage? Let's say you set it to Un-Summon (aka park itself in your garage). It opens the door, drives itself into your garage. Then assume someone left an object near the back of the garage that prevents the car from pulling all the way into the garage, and a few inches of the front of the car remain in the downward path of the garage door. I realize there is a setting for the Stop distance, but let's say something is in the way at the back of the garage. What will happen?

Thanks all!!

I don't know if there are any absolute answers to your questions.

In my experience,
1. the vehicle moves very slowly while entering into or backing out of the garage. Me stepping behind the car was enough to make it slow down and stop, but I don't know if a smaller object, such as a pet or small child would give you the same result.
2. I don't think the car will close the garage door on itself.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I got home tonight. I only have 1.5" from the nose to the door, when considering the hinges. If I don't pull in just right, I have had the hinge put a small gash in my nose cone. Buffed out, fortunately. So I always check before closing.

I don't have 7.1 yet. But I am hoping that I can set it up to only automatically open the door when I get home. I won't use summons in my driveway or garage.

Hi all,
I have two questions about the Summon feature - from a 'classic' MS owner. I have not seen this addressed in the v7.1 thread, but maybe I missed it.

1. What size object(s) can the car detect (and not detect) when driving itself into or out of a parking space? What type/size of objects will the car detect and stop for, and will it 'not see' and run over?

2. Could the car potentially close the garage door onto itself? In other words, how does the car know that it is fully inside the garage? Let's say you set it to Un-Summon (aka park itself in your garage). It opens the door, drives itself into your garage. Then assume someone left an object near the back of the garage that prevents the car from pulling all the way into the garage, and a few inches of the front of the car remain in the downward path of the garage door. I realize there is a setting for the Stop distance, but let's say something is in the way at the back of the garage. What will happen?

Thanks all!!

For number 2, there was a guy in the main 7.1 thread that said his car aborted half way into the garage, then tried to close the garage door on itself as the car was straddling the garage laser sensor.