Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Wheels Off Ground with Scissors Jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am retired aerospace engineer, repair process design technician and a machinist and one of my hobbies for the past 10 years or more is to design jacking adapters for cars like BMW-Mercedes, Lexus-Toyotas, and for the last 5 years. Teslas.

The most important issue with any jacking device, especially with a Tesla, is securing the top of the jacking device to prevent the car from slipping off which can result in the top of the jack or stand penetrating the battery or even damaging the lower rockers, door of a body panel.

A scissors jack can be used to rotate tires and can raise one side of the car to facilitate exchanging the tires form front to back and vice versa, but a rolling floor jack would be much better.

A flat top aluminum racing jack like the ones sold by Harbor Freight when used with an inexpensive jacking puck which fits into the jacking socket still would not be ideal. There is still a chance of the puck sliding off the top of the jack kept sliding off only by friction from sliding off before the assembly moves to compensate by the movement of the jack's wheels.

I recently solved these issues with the lowly $33 Walmart Hyper Tough trolley jack manufactured by Torin Big Red and sold under many other labels.

I designed and fabricated a special purpose built adapter that replaces the center cup on the jack and locks onto the center of the head.

The clearance of the jacking socket on my Model 3 is about six inches from the payment. The adapter attached to the jack provides a 1/4 inch clearance under the jacking socket.

When fully raised the jack goes up enough to get both tires on one side off the pavement securely compensated by the assembly rolling on the jack's wheels and snt slipping off of the top of the jack.

This apparently would be the least expensive way to rotate the tires on a Tesla. I would, however, not gen under the car and work on it supported by the jack alone.

I am retired aerospace engineer, repair process design technician and a machinist and one of my hobbies for the past 10 years or more is to design jacking adapters for cars like BMW-Mercedes, Lexus-Toyotas, and for the last 5 years. Teslas.

The most important issue with any jacking device, especially with a Tesla, is securing the top of the jacking device to prevent the car from slipping off which can result in the top of the jack or stand penetrating the battery or even damaging the lower rockers, door of a body panel.

A scissors jack can be used to rotate tires and can raise one side of the car to facilitate exchanging the tires form front to back and vice versa, but a rolling floor jack would be much better.

A flat top aluminum racing jack like the ones sold by Harbor Freight when used with an inexpensive jacking puck which fits into the jacking socket still would not be ideal. There is still a chance of the puck sliding off the top of the jack kept sliding off only by friction from sliding off before the assembly moves to compensate by the movement of the jack's wheels.

I recently solved these issues with the lowly $33 Walmart Hyper Tough trolley jack manufactured by Torin Big Red and sold under many other labels.

I designed and fabricated a special purpose built adapter that replaces the center cup on the jack and locks onto the center of the head.

The clearance of the jacking socket on my Model 3 is about six inches from the payment. The adapter attached to the jack provides a 1/4 inch clearance under the jacking socket.

When fully raised the jack goes up enough to get both tires on one side off the pavement securely compensated by the assembly rolling on the jack's wheels and snt slipping off of the top of the jack.

This apparently would be the least expensive way to rotate the tires on a Tesla. I would, however, not gen under the car and work on it supported by the jack alone.
Actually a good floor jack with wheels / casters on a smooth level floor is more stable than a scissor jack because the wheels /casters on the jack roll to stay under the weight. I’ve seen scissors jacks leaning when up way more often than any floor jack. Especially if your jacking from the body needs quite a bit of lift.

Floor Jack also has much wider stance which also reduces chances of problems.

Also unless I’m working on suspension (which is rare for me) I prefer lift the car under the suspension (both front and back). Way safer. Far from the battery, don’t have to lift it so crazy high. Usually 2” is enough to get tire to clear. You can’t even tell the car is jacked up. Less lift is less risk.

Unfortunately I can’t lift the rear of the Model S under the susoension. But it worked great on Model 3 and X. I use two floor jacks on the body of the Model S with two pucks. Never comes close to sliding off jacks. I only use the scissors jack for emergencies. I’ve yet to need it on the road in the last 5 years.

Actually a good floor jack with wheels / casters on a smooth level floor is more stable than a scissor jack because the wheels /casters on the jack roll to stay under the weight. I’ve seen scissors jacks leaning when up way more often than any floor jack. Especially if your jacking from the body needs quite a bit of lift.

Floor Jack also has much wider stance which also reduces chances of problems.

Also unless I’m working on suspension (which is rare for me) I prefer lift the car under the suspension (both front and back). Way safer. Far from the battery, don’t have to lift it so crazy high. Usually 2” is enough to get tire to clear. You can’t even tell the car is jacked up. Less lift is less risk.

Unfortunately I can’t lift the rear of the Model S under the susoension. But it worked great on Model 3 and X. I use two floor jacks on the body of the Model S with two pucks. Never comes close to sliding off jacks. I only use the scissors jack for emergencies. I’ve yet to need it on the road in the last 5 years.
Over the past five years, I have made numerous versions of jacking adapters for scissors jacks, jack stands, Bogert Safe jacks Rennstands, Bent Pak Quick Jacks, steel ratcheting jack stands, Big Red aluminum jack stands and floor jacks to cite a few. I have even adapted a lightweight aluminum Audi A6 jack.

One of my latest creations is for an inexpensive two ton trolley jack that sells for $33 at Walmart under the Hyper Tough label.

As a new member, I might be restricted to postosting photos, but I will try.

Attachments

• IMG_2801.JPG
    IMG_2801.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2805.JPG
    IMG_2805.JPG
    502.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2814.JPG
    IMG_2814.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2813.JPG
    IMG_2813.JPG