Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre pressure for 20" aftermarket wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I have 19" stock rims now. I'm interested in some black 20" aftermarket wheels for summer.

Does anyone know what tyre pressure I should be running with 245/40-20 tyres? Should I just go with whatever is printed on the side of the tyre, I mean, the tyre doesn't know which car it's mounted on, but maybe that doesn't matter....?

Bonus question regarding TPMS: In settings, I believe one can select either 19" or 21", that setting has impact on the "low tyre pressure warning"-threshold, right? Does anyone know what the treshold is, for either 19" or 21"? Again, I would like to know which setting to use, when driving with 20".

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I have 19" stock rims now. I'm interested in some black 20" aftermarket wheels for summer.

Does anyone know what tyre pressure I should be running with 245/40-20 tyres? Should I just go with whatever is printed on the side of the tyre, I mean, the tyre doesn't know which car it's mounted on, but maybe that doesn't matter....?

Bonus question regarding TPMS: In settings, I believe one can select either 19" or 21", that setting has impact on the "low tyre pressure warning"-threshold, right? Does anyone know what the treshold is, for either 19" or 21"? Again, I would like to know which setting to use, when driving with 20".

Thanks.

I was told by Tesla to use what's stated in the door jamb - mine says 42 psi. Of course, that's the recommended psi and you can adjust depending on if you want more efficiency or better traction, etc. as long as you don't exceed the max psi stated on the tire. Also, Tesla told me to choose 21" on the TPMS setting. Honestly, I think you would be fine either way. I haven't received any tire pressure warnings and it registers just fine on the dash.

Thanks benjiejr. Are you rocking 20" wheels as well?

According to people on the internet, 42 psi is Tesla default for 21" and 45psi is for 19". So with 20", I guess 43-44 psi will be acceptable.

I wonder at what threshold the tyre warning system will trigger, for 19" and 21" setting.

Thanks benjiejr. Are you rocking 20" wheels as well?

Yes sir! HRE RS102Ms, staggered, 245 front, 285 rear

HRE RS102M.jpg
IMG_2717.JPG

Hey guys I'm pulling this one out from the past, any luck with getting TPMS sensors to work properly? I just threw on some 20s with 245/40-20 tires and getting check TPMS, I've tried setting sensor to 19 and 21 and continue to get the message. The sensors came from TireRack (programmed by them)

Any suggestions?

Hey guys I'm pulling this one out from the past, any luck with getting TPMS sensors to work properly? I just threw on some 20s with 245/40-20 tires and getting check TPMS, I've tried setting sensor to 19 and 21 and continue to get the message. The sensors came from TireRack (programmed by them)

Any suggestions?
Are you sure they sent the right sensors, there are two versions an older and a newer. For a '13 you should have the older versions

I didn't get mine from Tire Rack, I got them here ShopTPMS - We are the largest supplier of OE TPMS sensors service packs and diagnostic tools. Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is an important safety feature and we are dedicated to selling the best products on the market. Wholesale and retail customers welcome. for two different sets and they worked.

The tire rack listing for the older version is here (prior to late 2014 ~VIN50900)
https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/resul...toModel=Model+S&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=P85
The newer version is this:
https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/resul...toModel=Model+S&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=85D

I think most people who dont reuse their old wheel just take the ones off the old wheels and use them.

@[email protected] Just following up to let you know I'm TPMS error free! I sent Tire Rack a picture of what I had on my old wheels and they had sent out the wrong ones, not their fault because they went by my vehicle year I think, my vin is 50446 so just shy of that change point. Thanks for you and everyone else for the help, also went with 19" when it got detected.

@[email protected] Just following up to let you know I'm TPMS error free! I sent Tire Rack a picture of what I had on my old wheels and they had sent out the wrong ones, not their fault because they went by my vehicle year I think, my vin is 50446 so just shy of that change point. Thanks for you and everyone else for the help, also went with 19" when it got detected.
Glad you got it worked out, unfortunately the VIN cutoff is not as cut and dried as Tesla makes it to be. I have seen a couple of other cars with lower VIN #'s that have the new TPMS.