Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody considered doing Uber not for profit, but more for EV evangelism? I’ve given rides to several Tesla-naive (and EV-naive) friends who were shocked at how awesome, fast, high tech the car is. Might be a good way to spread awareness in your free time?

I do it. I don't try to make more than 100 bucks or so a week, and exclusively do airport pickups on my way home from work basically. (My employer is near the airport and I live near enough to the city center, so that most of my rides get me close to home). It is almost like free money.

I get to show off the car, people get excited to ride in a Tesla, and usually have an interesting conversation on the ride home.

you still need to tell your insurer that you drive for a rideshare company and use your car commercially. The uber insurance requires that you carry valid personal insurance. Your personal car insurance policy was written and quoted (in most cases) that you don't use your vehicle commercially....

Agreed I see insurance companies are now on top of this to.
I do not drive Uber or use the car commercially but

I had a policy renewing and was mailed paperwork they wanted me to fill asking me specifically any vehicles on the policy were used for ridesharing, renting like Turo or similar services. Was the only purpose of the form sent to me.

That policy I cancelled and switched to another insurer ; everything was online but the question of ride sharing type services was similarly a separate area of the online form.

I do it. I don't try to make more than 100 bucks or so a week, and exclusively do airport pickups on my way home from work basically. (My employer is near the airport and I live near enough to the city center, so that most of my rides get me close to home). It is almost like free money.

I get to show off the car, people get excited to ride in a Tesla, and usually have an interesting conversation on the ride home.

Does Uber provide any assistance with tax remittance? Other than the assumed admin work this is awesome

i'm a software developer so i don't need a gig to pay for my p3d-. but i was having so much fun driving i decided to start doing some part time uber and doordash. it's pretty fun and i've done better than expected about $200 - $250 per week.

geico kicked me off our policy because they don't allow rideshare. even their commercial side refused to cover a tesla for rideshare. so i ended up getting sharesmart by esurance.

i have the white/black interior but i haven't had any issues keeping it clean. i do think the car helps get more tips but maybe some people think ah he doesn't need it.

geico kicked me off our policy because they don't allow rideshare. even their commercial side refused to cover a tesla for rideshare. so i ended up getting sharesmart by esurance.
Did you report your ride share activities to your insurance? Or did they just find out somehow? If I do some Uber driving, I would only do it a few times per month and would probably try to keep it on the downlow. Yeah, I know I know

If you just want to "Uber" once or twice a day, the Waze app has CarPool option that pays you to drive riders to work on your commute route. I signed up for it just to take a look and I could make $8 to $18 a day by driving 1 person to their work and home. I haven't done it as I really don't want to add to my commute time even if it is just 10/15 minutes. And and the money you get is tax free as they are just mileage reimbursement instead of "wages".

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Is this true? Sounds questionable to me. Any money earned still needs to be accounted for even if you can write it off. I assume Uber would still send you tax documents for the money you earned so you cannot just ignore them when doing your taxes?

This is not "Uber". I use "Uber" as an expression of giving ride to other people and get some money in return. This is part of Waze app. Officially it is really a Carpool tool where you are carpooling with other commuters. And the riders will reimburse the driver for mileage. From what I read, mileage reimbursement is not taxable, but consult your tax advisor! I learnt about this Waze Carpool thing from a forum member posted here.

This is not "Uber". I use "Uber" as an expression of giving ride to other people and get some money in return. This is part of Waze app. Officially it is really a Carpool tool where you are carpooling with other commuters. And the riders will reimburse the driver for mileage. From what I read, mileage reimbursement is not taxable, but consult your tax advisor! I learnt about this Waze Carpool thing from a forum member posted here.

Interesting.
So you get paid privately/directly from the rider and not through Waze?
or does the rider pay Waze and then you get paid by Waze?

Interesting.
So you get paid privately/directly from the rider and not through Waze?
or does the rider pay Waze and then you get paid by Waze?

You get paid by Waze thru Google Pay (Google owns Waze). Riders pay for the rides with credit cards. I think you get paid purely by distance like $0.54 per mile which is not bad when you don't have to report tax. And Waze was giving out a lot of incentives as bonus to get people started. A lot of rides I saw on my request list were probably from people who got some free money from Waze so they just want to get a free ride or something. But it is for carpool so you could only give 2 rides (going to work and going back home) per day, so it is not like you could make a living even if your ride is really long.

• Informative
Reactions: mreynolds767
Did you report your ride share activities to your insurance? Or did they just find out somehow? If I do some Uber driving, I would only do it a few times per month and would probably try to keep it on the downlow. Yeah, I know I know

super dangerous. you get into an accident, your insurer finds out you did rideshare, your insurer cancels your insurance because you didnt disclose that to them, uber insurance won;t pay s**t because they only kick in if you have a VALID primary car insurance to begin with... have fun....

Uber's coverage can vary based on the state in which you drive. The coverage can be only after you have accepted a trip, while the passenger is in your car, and/or while online. There is no Uber coverage in California if you are online but have not accepted a trip. So Uber will not cover you and your insurance won't cover you if you are logged in and driving (like driving home).