Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uberturbine Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the uberturbines for the 18" rims are marginally more efficient than the stock covers. A happy accident from china.... Maybe 1% more so?

I would think that 1% is within the margin of error. I am not aware enough controlled-testing data to conclusively say that it is in fact more efficient. It's more about the look. If one wants the look, they will also likely accept a 1% reduction (if true).

I would think that 1% is within the margin of error. I am not aware enough controlled-testing data to conclusively say that it is in fact more efficient. It's more about the look. If one wants the look, they will also likely accept a 1% reduction (if true).
Yep, I agree. I haven't noticed any variation in consumption in day-to-day driving. And I am happy with it, because for me it's about the look.

Looks 🔥 Which brand is this? I am looking for some 18" ones, ideally with better efficiency improvement. I get worried they will fall off on freeway and have to deal with insurance if it hits another car.
We have several designs of Model 3 18-inch wheel covers for your option; they are all slightly larger than the OEM and cover the wheel rims and efficiency improvements. and fast shipment from USA warehouses.

Finally received my wheel covers last night. Mine actually came with the foam strips already installed on them which was nice. My Tesla “T” center piece shipped separately and two were slightly bent. Can’t really tell once installed. Overall looks very clean.
I have a blue model 3 as well and was wondering were the covers in your pic the matte black or gunmetal/grey ones?

Anyone else feel free to answer as well, thinking about picking these up on amazon

TL;DR - stock 18" Aero covers and uberturbine-style covers, symmetric or not, all performed identically within a margin of error. I'm keeping the Kavanic covers on because they're no worse efficiency-wise, help protect from curb rash and especially painted, I prefer the look.

A couple of my first set of UT-style covers broke a couple hub grab clips the first time I removed them. That seller is no longer active on Amazon. After I asked, they did give me a 50% refund. I kept the remaining two good ones for spares and bought a set of symmetric Kavanics when on sale earlier this week: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJPYFR2R

I painted the Kavanics and the spares with this - one $7 can for each two covers: Krylon K02782007 Krylon Fusion All-In-One Black Hammered 12 oz Spray Paint, Multi-Surface, (1 Piece, 1 Pack) - Walmart.com Very happy with the result. It has a subtle iridescent "off black," glossy and hammered look in the sun.

Assuming the paint itself doesn't affect efficiency, I then proceeded to carefully test the symmetric covers first as labeled (L and R sides), reversed left to right, and the stock Aeros. As others have mentioned, the way the "turbine" blades are shaped, it appears reversing them L-R would reduce air resistance, because installed as labeled a more blocked edge is forward with rotation. Controlled variables: ~9.3 mi loop course around KTIX airport, speeds 35-55 mph, 63-67 deg F, light wind, tires 44-45 psi, climate control off, starting SoC 38-49% with ~5 min L2 charging "break" between runs. Firmware 2023.38.6 (night) and .38.9 (this morning). Traffic was light and I was able to drive each one almost identically. Autosteer was enabled everywhere possible and over the same segments. I chose this course because it's representative of 90% of the driving the car sees.

The car's indicated wH/mi for each drive is different from what Teslamate recorded. I trust the car's numbers more than Teslamate because they vary less and there's no apparent rounding going on. Last, attached is Teslamate detail of each drive and a pic of one painted cover - albeit on a cloudy day.

Run/Drive #DescriptionwH/mi from car (this drive)wH/mi from Teslamate per drive
1Uberturbine covers as labeled LR - night181183
2Uberturbine covers reversed RL - night179199
3Stock Aeros first run (tire warm-up) - morning188197
4Stock Aeros second run - morning183183
5Uberturbine covers reversed RL - morning182199

Attachments

• PXL_MWP_20231123_075750630-956x720.jpg
    PXL_MWP_20231123_075750630-956x720.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 231123-run1.pdf
    346.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 231123-run2.pdf
    376.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 231124-run3.pdf
    353.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 231124-run4.pdf
    340.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 231124-run5.pdf
    335 KB · Views: 42
My friend was telling me about aftermarket hub caps the other day and I found a vendor on Amazon selling a set for $100 with a 50% coupon. I was almost tempted to buy another set for backup. :) Unfortunately that was the last set that the seller sold.

The wheel caps were spray painted with Rustoleum Metallic Aged Metal and since I had some automotive polyurethane clear coat sitting around, I put on two coats to make them easier to clean. Though I think the matte finish by itself already looked great.

IMG_6120.jpg

I kept a keen eye on energy consumption and found very little change.

Attachments

• IMG_6110.jpg
    IMG_6110.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 41
My friend was telling me about aftermarket hub caps the other day and I found a vendor on Amazon selling a set for $100 with a 50% coupon. I was almost tempted to buy another set for backup. :) Unfortunately that was the last set that the seller sold.

The wheel caps were spray painted with Rustoleum Metallic Aged Metal and since I had some automotive polyurethane clear coat sitting around, I put on two coats to make them easier to clean. Though I think the matte finish by itself already looked great.

View attachment 997088

I kept a keen eye on energy consumption and found very little change.

very cool, can you post some more pictures?

ever since the plebs have murdered out 3s everyone is proud of their chrome trim haha.
Here in Australia you never seen chrome trim - was only used for I think a year. And the vast amount of models 3s were sold since... 2021 or 2022...
When I bought my chrome trim car earlier this year and showed it to people at work, one of the very first things they said was "I like the chrome around the windows". These are people who know nothing about cars and have no idea that some Teslas have black trim.

I'm obviously biased but I think the chrome looks much better. Especially on the side indicators where it's a black camera with a chrome shroud compared to the update cars where the entire thing is just one solid colour.

When I bought my chrome trim car earlier this year and showed it to people at work, one of the very first things they said was "I like the chrome around the windows". These are people who know nothing about cars and have no idea that some Teslas have black trim.

I'm obviously biased but I think the chrome looks much better. Especially on the side indicators where it's a black camera with a chrome shroud compared to the update cars where the entire thing is just one solid colour.
I prefer chrome trim on the darker colours. The only reason I bought a white car was because I didn't like the lack of trim accent around the windows on the darker coloured cars, especially the blue.