Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uh, why did Tesla send me a check?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once Dyson refunded my visa card for a Robo Vacuum cleaner I purchased about a year before the refund. When I inquired about it they claimed I returned it, but it wasn't me.

I tried to argue with them, but they wouldn't take the money back. The problem with that is one of these days they'll suddenly want the money.

Not sure what's going on with Tesla. So the first thing I'd do is figure out what it's for by calling them.

I got a check today from Tesla for $1060 with no explanation attached. I don't mind getting the money but why? I have an AWD that I took delivery in mid November.

Any chance you were buying in that period where AWD option was jumping around by $1000 up and down? $1060 is a refund of $1000 plus 6% sales tax on $1000, math-wise.

I got a check today from Tesla for $1060 with no explanation attached. I don't mind getting the money but why? I have an AWD that I took delivery in mid November.

I received a $1,030 check a few weeks ago. (I ordered in August and took delivery Nov. 11th. )

These refunds were due to the AWD drop in price at that time, and they did tell me on delivery day that I would get the difference.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Tesla sent me a check for like $0.86 or something because I overpaid at delivery. They sent the check a couple of months later. Maybe that was it?

I also got a small check like this (I think it was for around $3) because of delivery over-pay. Not sure if this is the case for the OP or it was some kind of refund for a price change that occurred during some close-to-delivery window.

How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?
I got a black AWD with Aeros around that time. The week before I ordered it was $55K, the next week I ordered at $54K then the week after that it was $53K.
They adjusted the price for me prior to delivery so I only paid the $53K.
I’d guess it’s one of those price drops.
I did get a small check a few weeks after delivery for $30 or something like that.

If you took the $5k refund for a P3D, the check is for the sales tax portion that they initially said they weren’t going to refund. Then they realized the illegality of that decision.

It seems there are multiple possible reasons for getting a check from Tesla. It’s interesting to me that they don’t include some kind of note explanation the reason for the check.