Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI keeps turming off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve always used KCO when I’m getting out of the car for a quick errand while someone is waiting in the car, unless the person wants to use the infotainment, in which case I’d use camp mode.

I’ve never felt the need to have sentry mode on while I’m in the car. If something happens outside I could just hit the dashcam button to record the last 10 minutes of video footage. Is there a particular reason you must have sentry and camp mode on at the same time?

Reactions: dhrivnak
I’ve always used KCO when I’m getting out of the car for a quick errand while someone is waiting in the car, unless the person wants to use the infotainment, in which case I’d use camp mode.

I’ve never felt the need to have sentry mode on while I’m in the car. If something happens outside I could just hit the dashcam button to record the last 10 minutes of video footage. Is there a particular reason you must have sentry and camp mode on at the same time?
Yes.

So what is your reason for needing sentry mode and camp mode on at the same time exactly?

I'm not doubting that it doesn't work for you and it appears that you should sell your Tesla ASAP, but I've always found the climate-on options to work as I'd like it to.

And the software gets stupider by the day.

Whoever wrote this ui power down code really did not think the use cases thru at all.

Its a reason not to buy a tesla.
Sure, but can you name some examples of superior power down UI from other cars that we should check out?

My need security, climate, and entertainment is because when car camping or driving long hours i often find a need to nap in strange and unsecure locations. Id like intrusion detection, peeping tom detersion, and comfort.

Too much to ask of the nanny car?

Its fairly insulting to be interogated regarding the specifics of my need. It is not that hard to fathom.

It really feels like the car resents people most of the time.

When they put an AI assistant in the software will it insult the occupants directly or will it be passive agressivem

and why do you need an exanple to copy?

If there is someone in the car, dont turn things off.

Its pretty simple.

if the battery is over 20%, let the customer use the damn car and its features.

My need security, climate, and entertainment is because when car camping or driving long hours i often find a need to nap in strange and unsecure locations. Id like intrusion detection, peeping tom detersion, and comfort.

Its fairly insulting to be interogated regarding the specifics of my need. It is not that hard to fathom.

When they put an AI assistant in the software will it insult the occupants directly or will it be passive agressivem

Its pretty simple.

Like if the phone key is in the car, assume the person is as well.

Pop quiz: If the car has been parked after driving but no doors have opened is there someone in the car?

Also, switching between or enabling KCO or Camp Mode both switch the climate system to Auto, undoing and manual settings and forcing more work because the UI feels the need to be a dick. If i want Auto mode, ill activate it with the button.

You won't get an argument from me that the car is a dick. And, in particular, it is designed to be passively aggressive towards the passengers. Some examples:

* the rear seat belts are stored extremely far back for passengers to just reach and pull them forward and then the receptors for the plugs are below the level of the seat, meaning most adult passengers sitting behind the driver have to shift diagonally in their seat to the left to pull out the shoulder belt and then shift diagonally to right in the seat in order to find the receptor to buckle up. At that point, since they often pull the belt out fully in order to have slack for the contortions required, when the belt retracts, it locks in place, pinning them to the back of the seat.

* the same receptor being flush design makes it almost impossible for older children to use a substantial booster seat, and impossible if there is a car seat in neighbouring seat (turning a 5 seater into a 4 seater vehicle.)

* the rear passengers get seat heaters, but they have to ask the driver to manage the settings for them.

* for front passengers, there used to be a button on the home screen that activated voice command. That was taken away and now the front passenger has to ask the driver to either do the task themselves, or at least, press the scroll button to activate the voice command system. YET if I am sitting at home, I can honk the horn or change the radio station via the APP. But allowing me to open the glove box without taking the NAV screen away from the driver is verboten.

However when people ask for your specific need they aren't insulting you. If they understand what it is you are missing, they might have a workaround for you.

I agree, workarounds are a friggin pain in the neck and there is no guarantee the next UI update won't take them away from you, but people are not trying to be insult you by interrogating you. They are trying to be helpful.

Just because tesla engineers are friggin dicks doesn't mean all owners are.

Its pretty simple.

I don't think I was interrogating you. I simply wanted to know why you needed the car to do what you want because I do not share your issues with how the climate features work. You did not explain why you wanted what you wanted, so I asked for clarification.

Now that I know, I guess this car is simply not for you. I also don't know which car on the market provides what you want, which is why I asked for an example if you knew of one. From my own experience with other EVs, which consists of an Audi etron and Volvo C40, neither car has something similar to sentry mode, or any real infotainment to be kept on while in the car to speak of, so those two would be off your list too.

If you're looking for a car that keeps the climate and infotainment on indefinitely while being locked and have something similar to sentry mode on when you are parked, I don't know of a car that does this. Maybe Rivian?

Personally speaking, I stay in my car in camp mode for 1~2 hours routinely as I wait for kids doing various practice/lessons. I've never felt the need to have sentry mode on while I'm in the car. I would lock the car in camp mode if I felt the the need, but as long as I'm not taking a nap, I feel like sentry mode is redundant. If you're taking a nap, just throw KCO or Dog Mode on since you're not using the infotainment while sleeping anyway. Also, it's not like sentry mode has any real deterrent for outside people other than some lights gently flashing. If bad people are coming after you in the car, I'm pretty sure sentry mode isn't stopping them.