Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI_a112 - USB device malfunction - I/O Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have seen a few posts from years back about this error, nothing recent. Ive been using the same SSD on my Model Y for 2 years now, when I check it in PC it works fine, tried different USB drive, car doesnt recognize it at all. My setup is 100% OEM. The OEM wireless charging pad still provides power, but the dashcam port wont recognize any USB drive and gives:

"UI_a112 - USB device malfunction - I/O Error"

Anyone else experience this?

Ok so, I rebooted my car and it didnt fix anything. Then I read some more... and tried unplugging the charge pad from USB-C slot (OEM charge pad that comes with the car). And unplugging the USB drive. Basically nothing is plugged into any USB ports. And then did a reboot (Break Pedal + both wheels until screen turns off). And that fixed the problem.

Now I am wondering if this is beginnings of a fault that will need repair or some fluke thing. Im leaving the car on in sentry mode overnight to test it to see if it throws the error again.

Will be curious to hear if anyone else seeing this lately. It seems like in the past it was tied to a software update breaking it?

I have a lot of experience with usb devices on Linux. For many years I worked on a Linux system that was designed to run from usb. I/O errors almost always indicate a failing drive (or some other hardware problem).

OTOH, many of us are experiencing a recent problem with usb devices in the center console not showing up.

Same here. Glovebox usb works but center console usb stops working when the car sleeps. I imagine this problem slipped through the cracks because most of the vehicles they were testing on didn't have center console data ports.

The error came back today (3 days later). whats strange is that it triggered in the middle of the night, when car was parked and off, and sentry was OFF. Car should have been sleeping. Especially since it wasnt plugged in to charge.

Reading through this German forum it seems like since 2024.2.7 update a lot of people started getting this error... (you can have your browser translate the page to English) - Meldung: UI_a112 Störung des USB-Geräts - E/A Fehler

But as per posts there 2024.8.4 does not fix the problem either...

Last edited:
Welp, had my appoitment. Of course Tesla could not reproduce the issue. And I know why. They tested charger (seeing if USB port has power) as they said "with multiple chargers". Yeah it was never a power issue it was a data issue. I explained it in the issue notes, and in person... lol /facepalm!

BUT, luckily they noticed some other issue with Autopilot and dissapearing lines, which prompted an MCU replacement. Seeing how everyone had the USB issue fixed via MCU replacement I think that took care of that as well. Time will tell.

Wasnt very encouraging to find a screw in my cup holder after picking up the car. I hope its from the old MCU, and not one they forgot to screw back in.

Same here, about a month ago, started getting UI_a112 "USB device malfunction - I/O Error" alerts. Two mobile services and earlier this week, Service Center visit. Here's what the SC said: "Unfortunately, with firmware bugs/issues, there is not much we are able to do at the Service Center level. It is not necessarily whether the team decides to fix it, as I can assure you that the team is currently working on it. Firmware improvements and fixes for USB/Dashcam operation for model 3 coming in 2024.12+ version firmware. We recommend to perform scroll wheel resets in interim until firmware version 2024.12+ is reached, and monitor for normal operation following. If normal operation does not return following update to 2024.12+ version firmware, please return to service for further diagnostics."

Welp, had my appoitment. Of course Tesla could not reproduce the issue. And I know why. They tested charger (seeing if USB port has power) as they said "with multiple chargers". Yeah it was never a power issue it was a data issue. I explained it in the issue notes, and in person... lol /facepalm!

BUT, luckily they noticed some other issue with Autopilot and dissapearing lines, which prompted an MCU replacement. Seeing how everyone had the USB issue fixed via MCU replacement I think that took care of that as well. Time will tell.

Wasnt very encouraging to find a screw in my cup holder after picking up the car. I hope its from the old MCU, and not one they forgot to screw back in.
By the way issue came back about a day later. Seems like a lot more people are starting to get it. Seems to be related to car going into deep sleep, upon wake up USB fail.

I just purchased a used M3 2019 and am also getting this error with multiple usb drives. All i want is to use the dashcam function but that wont work. Hope this isn’t a MCU problem as the car is out of warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone getting the UI_a112 message using a 128GB flash drive?
Yes, I got it with 128GB flash drive (non Tesla branded one) and my SSD also happens to be 128GB (you can see me post stats on how much car wrote to it in 2 years here For anyone curious, here is how much read/writes my Model Y put on my SSD). And both have the issue.
I just purchased a used M3 2019 and am also getting this error with multiple usb drives. All i want is to use the dashcam function but that wont work. Hope this isn’t a MCU problem as the car is out of warranty. Any help would be appreciated.
I had my MCU and hub replaced, issue persists, so I am pretty convinced its software bug. What version is your car on? someone posted that issue went away with 2024.8.7. I am still on 2024.3.10 and have the issue.
Youn probbaly did this but run the format in the safety menu if you haven't.
For this issue it does not matter. Issue comes back after car goes into deep sleep (I park the car with sentry off and come back in 30 min and issue is there).

• Informative
Reactions: Flybyglass
Yes, I got it with 128GB flash drive (non Tesla branded one) and my SSD also happens to be 128GB (you can see me post stats on how much car wrote to it in 2 years here For anyone curious, here is how much read/writes my Model Y put on my SSD). And both have the issue.

I had my MCU and hub replaced, issue persists, so I am pretty convinced its software bug. What version is your car on? someone posted that issue went away with 2024.8.7. I am still on 2024.3.10 and have the issue.

For this issue it does not matter. Issue comes back after car goes into deep sleep (I park the car with sentry off and come back in 30 min and issue is there).
It appeared with 2024.3.10 so it must be software related.

Anyone getting the UI_a112 message using a 128GB flash drive?
Yes. For me my central usb-c ports don’t detect devices unless I reboot every so often. My glovebox usb is working fine. Happens with my Tesla OEM 128GB USB flash stick (I used a data capable adapter to plug in to usb-c) which is really a Samsung Bar Plus. Also happens with my 256GB Samsung mini usb-c music stick (my car has usb-c ports in center storage area). My game controllers are not recognized but they use to be. It’s software. Just too many people having same issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Flybyglass
I requested service on this issue and a mobile tech switched out the USB module. The module for the earlier 2020 MY has, I think, both the left C USB and the right A USB port. Did not resolve the USB-gone-on-deep-sleep-only-to-be-revived-on-reboot. Frustrating!! Worked pretty well for until recently. I think I have been through 3 software updates since it started and the updates haven't fixed it. Using a Samsung T5 SSD. (I had the SSD set as two partitions: one for cam footage and one for music. But in trying to resolve the issue, I just the car format the whole thing for Cam. That provided no improvement.)

I requested service on this issue and a mobile tech switched out the USB module. The module for the earlier 2020 MY has, I think, both the left C USB and the right A USB port. Did not resolve the USB-gone-on-deep-sleep-only-to-be-revived-on-reboot. Frustrating!! Worked pretty well for until recently. I think I have been through 3 software updates since it started and the updates haven't fixed it. Using a Samsung T5 SSD. (I had the SSD set as two partitions: one for cam footage and one for music. But in trying to resolve the issue, I just the car format the whole thing for Cam. That provided no improvement.)
I'm having same issue on a 2020 M3. Tried switching from 256gb to 128gb. Tried format in car and on MAC no change. Tried different splitter still to change. Another post said fro Tesla it would be corrected with software version 2024.12.x. In the early days of FSD Beta, you could not format bigger than 128 but it could read larger if formatted from other source. That was finally corrected on future versions but appears since version 12 where software was combined the issue happening now surfaced. We shall see