Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn’t the ryzen an APU so would have some lower powered GPU built in? Could still play some steam games like a steam deck would? Worth giving the option at least - not everyone wants to play only cyberpunk
Ryzen does have an APU, otherwise where would the screen output come from, but it's not possible to be used for Steam due to the architecture of how Tesla built the system. Steam and the games it downloads runs inside a virtual machine, very sensible as otherwise you are running third party code on a critical driving control, the discrete graphics card on the S and X is then given exclusively to that VM.

No discrete graphics, no VM, no Steam.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Had quite a frank conversation with a Tesla sales guy yesterday, who phoned me proactively to ask if I would be interested in getting a new M3P.

To my surprise he said a few things I wouldn't have expected a Tesla rep to say, namely:
  • Confirming a widely held belief that Shanghai cars are generally better quality than Fremont ones, i.e. spectrum in build quality issues is much smaller. I chatted to him about "chrome trim alignment" which was a commonly reported issue back in the day, and is now pretty much never heard of, etc.

• He thought that Highland might result in more things being stripped out that are marmite (he said he thought stalks would go). The implication was that as time goes on Tesla strips more and more things out to improve their margin, and test how far they can go before customers stop buying in meaningful numbers (e.g. passenger lumbar, USB data, various scratchy plastics replacing softer ones, etc).

This I thought was an interesting point - because I'm pessimistic at this point so I can well believe that the principal benefits of Highland will be in Tesla's favour, in terms of parts consolidation/reduction, rather than it being a significant bump in featureset (e.g. HUD etc is not going to happen).

• 0% finance now only available on Performance (probably explains the phone call).
On the one hand since the purpose of the phone call was to try and get me into a new M3P, I can understand why he might say that Fremont cars are crap and Highland might not be so hot, but it was refreshing to talk to someone who was prepared to confront reality as far as issues, etc go.

Been a while since I've posted anything on here but I came across this thread.
I have a 2020 (just) LR AWD M3 and I have recently seen the 0% APR offer (it is now only available on LR RWD and M3P)

My current M3 is on PCP with less than a year left until the balloon payment and the trade in offer I have received direct from Tesla is £1k less than the balloon which is feasible to pay in my opinion to take advantage of the 0% APR.
3rd party car purchasers are offering the same or less than the Tesla trade in offer.

My monthly payment would go down if I were to get the LR RWD and I would have another 4 years warranty which is what is tempting me most given that I have had a couple of problems which would have been very costly out of warranty.
I don't care about the drop in acceleration as I've had my fun.

The offer is clearly designed to clear inventory prior to the Highland announcement. Although we won't see Highland in the UK for quite some time, no doubt it will have an impact on the price of the new and used current M3s.

So really, it boils down to the question; Do I take the £1k hit and get 4 years more warranty on a new car, or wait and risk my current car falling into more negative equity and hope Tesla drops the prices of the "Legacy" inventory and offer 0% APR again.

One huge factor is that I bought my M3 very early into UK deployment (when we all still waved at each other) and finance companies were reluctant to give a Guaranteed Future Value and take the risk on themselves. So my finance product isn't technically a PCP, it is similar but I don't have the option of giving the car back, meaning I take on all the risk of the potential rapid depreciation.

I think I have to go for the new car, right? Would appreciate your opinions.

Reactions: Spacemanwho
you need to compare to the settlement figure not the balloon. Settlement will be more than the balloon as it includes the next 12 months payments.

You should also check the voluntary termination date as that may be sooner and if you make payments through to that point you can just walk away.

edit: hold on you said it was a pcp but then said it isn't a PCP? what is it? Regardless its cost to change and if thats £1k I'd be tempted to switch especially if lower monthlies are useful to you

In a similar boat, I bought a RWD M3 at the end of 2021 but unfortunately I had a car accident last month where someone wrote my car off. Trying to decide if it's worth taking advantage of this 0% APR and jump straight into a new M3 or wait it out for Highland. These LR RWD models are a very tempting price!

I'm assuming we're not expecting right hand drive Highlands for another quarter or two?

Sorry, I meant settlement figure is £1k difference.
It was called a Breeze product at the time where it is essentially a PCP but the only difference being that I don't have the option to give the car back because no finance company was apparently comfortable taking on the future value risk at the time I bought the car because not enough was known about M3.

Good point about the voluntary termination, I will check that out.

Don't think we will see Highland here until at least Q2 2024 personally

Reactions: Mrklaw
Been a while since I've posted anything on here but I came across this thread.
I have a 2020 (just) LR AWD M3 and I have recently seen the 0% APR offer (it is now only available on LR RWD and M3P)

My current M3 is on PCP with less than a year left until the balloon payment and the trade in offer I have received direct from Tesla is £1k less than the balloon which is feasible to pay in my opinion to take advantage of the 0% APR.
3rd party car purchasers are offering the same or less than the Tesla trade in offer.

My monthly payment would go down if I were to get the LR RWD and I would have another 4 years warranty which is what is tempting me most given that I have had a couple of problems which would have been very costly out of warranty.

The offer is clearly designed to clear inventory prior to the Highland announcement. Although we won't see Highland in the UK for quite some time, no doubt it will have an impact on the price of the new and used current M3s.

So really, it boils down to the question; Do I take the £1k hit and get 4 years more warranty on a new car, or wait and risk my current car falling into more negative equity and hope Tesla drops the prices of the "Legacy" inventory and offer 0% APR again.

One huge factor is that I bought my M3 very early into UK deployment (when we all still waved at each other) and finance companies were reluctant to give a Guaranteed Future Value and take the risk on themselves. So my finance product isn't technically a PCP, it is similar but I don't have the option of giving the car back, meaning I take on all the risk of the potential rapid depreciation.

I think I have to go for the new car, right? Would appreciate your opinions.

Say goodbye to parking sensors, but other than that it doesn't seem a bad deal. Lower monthly, new warranty, plus you'll be getting into a facelift with the better interior (best M3 interior of all time if leaked details of Highland interior are true!), dechrome, power trunk, Ryzen, heated rear seats and steering wheel, double glazing, etc, so it'll feel somewhat of an upgrade compared to your '20. Oh and control stalks!! They are brilliant!

Say goodbye to parking sensors, but other than that it doesn't seem a bad deal. Lower monthly, new warranty, plus you'll be getting into a facelift with the better interior (best M3 interior of all time if leaked details of Highland interior are true!), dechrome, power trunk, Ryzen, heated rear seats and steering wheel, double glazing, etc, so it'll feel somewhat of an upgrade compared to your '20. Oh and control stalks!! They are brilliant!
^^^ What they said...

My 2020 M3P company lease goes back early next year, so we just bought an M3RWD at 0% as a replacement for that time (we'll have both a while). Hopefully a long term purchase so 'latest greatest' not so much of an issue as the 'bargain' of 0% (my money is earning good interest!). Although the new car doesn't have the acceleration 'punch', all those nice things listed above make it a much nicer car IMO, and 4 years warranty and new (cheaper) tyres too!

FWIW, it's only been two weeks, but I've had no trouble *yet* with having no USS - I park it just like I do my M3P and it feels very much the same. Actually, the new car spots low kerbs better when parking. I know I'll regret saying that 😁.

BEWARE!

First MS I had was Performance. After giving all my mucky mates a demo ride, and the brutal acceleration being very uncomfortable for regular passengers (unless they were paying attention ...) I replaced it with the bog-standard cooking version.

Back then the MS Performance 0-60 was low 3s. The cooking version I have now is a paltry 3.5s :) (but it isn't able to put the power down anything like as well as Performance can)

But ... I have now decided I MUST HAVE the Plaid ... :)

So you may find that RWD will just be a "cooling off period" :)

we won't see Highland in the UK for quite some time

Not sure if they will want to keep making RHD "old model" in the same factory as LHD ??

no doubt it will have an impact on the price of the new and used current M3s

I think price is going to fall anyway (Highland will be one such blip) - each time Tesla opens / expands a factor and increases production, and they then choose to erode margin as a demand-lever to increase sales

I suspect Plaid RHD will return once steer-by-wire approved.

Interesting ...

I can't figure out why they wouldn't do RHD - it must have been designed-in. Maybe parts-availability was a problem, but they are having difficult flogging the LHDs and so producing some of the as RHD would increase their ability to shift them ...

But I'd like to think that there is an "improvement" coming soon which would make it more feasible / easier for them, and that is the reason for not doing it at present.

I disagree that we’ll have to wait a long time to get Model 3 Highland for RHD countries. I know Model 3 doesn’t shift as much as Model Y but it’s not the same as pulling S and X. It’ll reduce their UK sales volume quite a bit.

Also you can still order the Model 3 on SR and LR which are now back to a high APR. I’m assuming that means that anyone ordering one of those now is going to get a Highland model, the delivery times are still pretty quick on those.

If we get highland sprinkled into q3 deliveries it’ll just be a random timing thing based on when Shanghai switched over production. Those boats are pretty much already on their way or about to load so I doubt it. Would be interesting to see though

If Q4 then realistically that’s November so a while off

I’m assuming that means that anyone ordering one of those now is going to get a Highland model, the delivery times are still pretty quick on those.
I think that is reading too much into it. I imagine the removal of the offer is because they now back on track to sell the quarter's UK production target and so won't leave them with excess inventory. That would be the case whether next quarter sees the current or newer facelift.

If we get highland sprinkled into q3 deliveries it’ll just be a random timing thing based on when Shanghai switched over production. Those boats are pretty much already on their way or about to load so I doubt it. Would be interesting to see though

If Q4 then realistically that’s November so a while off
Yeah maybe so though November isn't that far off when it comes to ordering a car from most makes, you'd normally have to wait much longer. Tesla have basically caught up and removed their backlog but most haven't yet. Once they do I suspect discounts to come back on those other makes.

I buckled. I ordered a LR RWD yesterday. A blue one with a tow bar. I don't especially need a tow bar, but I figured I'll be keeping this car for an eternity and want to be prepared for an imaginary trailer tent which I presently have no intention of ever buying.

My rationale is I can realise the best part of 10k selling the car I've already got, and there's potential to reduce next year's tax bill as it's a business asset. In the medium term it's not actually going to cost me all that much.

It hasn't got quite the performance of the twin-motored AWD LR, but tbh I never really wanted that. The extra range is a plus, but tbh had it not been for the 0%apr rug being pulled on the McRegular M3 I'd likely have gone for one of those.

Have I made a terrible mistake? I dunno, time will tell. If it transpires that I have within the next 3wks or so I guess it'll only cost me the deposit if I bail and run.