Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q2 collection and delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked mine up a few hours ago at NEC. It was a right bitch to find as they've blocked off a lot of the routes inside for cleaning, ready for when everything opens up again. It shepherded you outside and had to make my way through car parks and loading bays to find it. I got lost at one point and had to ask a security bloke where it was. Soon found it after that though.

I spent nearly 2 hours there checking everything over then messing about with the screen/driving settings, then accessories (aeros off, centre caps and lug covers on).

Panel gaps were all ok. Some tiny differences but nothing bad. Sunroof is slightly out with the windscreen on one side but I can live with that.

Found one or two serviceable issues though. First the plastic door trim behind the drivers wing mirror had some minor damage, and also found a paint chip on the front passenger door. Already booked them both in next Thursday morning at Birmingham.

Because I sat there for a good while in the car with the AC on there was some water dripping and running out from under the middle of the car just behind the front wheels. He assured me that was the AC condensation and said they all did that if it's parked while AC is on.

Biggest thing I spotted was the rear left light which sits quite proud of the light fixed to the boot lid when it's shut. I'll put a pic below. Don't know if it's worth mentioning or getting fixed really. The other side is perfect though.

One key was warped so they're gonna send me another pair out FOC in the post. He reckoned they didn't have them where they were.

Just sitting updating the software to 2021. 4.18.2. There's some clunking going on with the AC clicking off and back on again seemingly from behind me. Hope that's normal!

Trim damage and rear light cluster:
The clunking from behind you during an update are the contactors in the penthouse, the AC is at the front......

Reactions: Nick77
Oh and I can't believe how good the car drives. My first time even sitting in one never mind driving one. Chose comfort steering as I'm used to soft power steering in my old Audi.

Wasn't prepared for that acceleration though. First time it made my stomach go like I was on a rollercoaster! Bloody rocket ships they are. Doubt I'll buy the Acceleration Boost as it really doesn't need it.

Autopilot is amazingly good too, and really clever. Even the adaptive cruise control is great. Struggles a bit on slower A roads with parked cars but to be expected.

Very happy camper tonight.

So, how do you actually tax the vehicle? Checked online and it says UNTAXED.

It was a demo with 300 miles on it and was showing as taxed before collection. Obviously that needs transferring but I don't have any documentation to actually do it online.

Will I have to wait for the V5 to come in the post to do it, or will Tesla have taken care of it with the transfer of registration on handover?

As mentioned in earlier posts, Tax does not transfer. Its your responsibility to tax. You should have been given a new keeper slip from the previous V5. Takes 5 minutes online. If you don't have it, check again tomorrow to see if Tesla did it for you, but its not their responsibility so they are just being helpful. It doesn't matter to tax the car twice, you just need to ignore any 'this car is already taxed' messages.

Oh and I asked them about the blue UMC commando adaptor and all three of them at the check in desk assured me they don't come with them any more, just on the older cars they said. One guy said he didn't have one in his own car either.

I did have the 3 pin adapter and charging cable in the zip bag.

Oh and I asked them about the blue UMC commando adaptor and all three of them at the check in desk assured me they don't come with them any more, just on the older cars they said. One guy said he didn't have one in his own car either.

I did have the 3 pin adapter and charging cable in the zip bag.

The commando adapters are £43 each (either 16amp or 32 amp) from the online Tesla shop. The 16amp used to be supplied free but not for a while now.

Picked mine up a few hours ago at NEC. It was a right bitch to find as they've blocked off a lot of the routes inside for cleaning, ready for when everything opens up again. It shepherded you outside and had to make my way through car parks and loading bays to find it. I got lost at one point and had to ask a security bloke where it was. Soon found it after that though.

I spent nearly 2 hours there checking everything over then messing about with the screen/driving settings, then accessories (aeros off, centre caps and lug covers on).

Panel gaps were all ok. Some tiny differences but nothing bad. Sunroof is slightly out with the windscreen on one side but I can live with that.

Found one or two serviceable issues though. First the plastic door trim behind the drivers wing mirror had some minor damage, and also found a paint chip on the front passenger door. Already booked them both in next Thursday morning at Birmingham.

Because I sat there for a good while in the car with the AC on there was some water dripping and running out from under the middle of the car just behind the front wheels. He assured me that was the AC condensation and said they all did that if it's parked while AC is on.

Biggest thing I spotted was the rear left light which sits quite proud of the light fixed to the boot lid when it's shut. I'll put a pic below. Don't know if it's worth mentioning or getting fixed really. The other side is perfect though.

One key was warped so they're gonna send me another pair out FOC in the post. He reckoned they didn't have them where they were.

Just sitting updating the software to 2021. 4.18.2. There's some clunking going on with the AC clicking off and back on again seemingly from behind me. Hope that's normal!

Trim damage and rear light cluster:
Push on that rear light cluster, it probably just needs clicking into place.

Moderator comment - can we please keep this on topic for collection and delivery experiences. Additional questions should be posted in existing threads (where you may already find the answer), or a new thread to discuss the one topic.

Posts that continue to go OT may be moved to more appropriate threads or deleted.

Reactions: Durzel and Nick77
So. We picked up our M3 LR from Bristol today. It was one of those days when pretty much everything seemed to go right (for a change?). The train wasn't full of covidiots. The prebooked car was waiting outside Temple Meads and dropped us at Cribbs Causeway with plenty of time to spare. (We had a bite to eat and did a little shopping.) At the Tesla shop, we forgot to 'sign in' with the QR code on arrival (we mistook it for the NHS app thing) and then forgot to mention to the guy that we are leasing the thing. Both led to a tiny delay, but really we have no complaints. Our only other issue was that the keycards were warped and we didn't mention it while the guy was there because we were just too excited and wanted him to go away so that WE COULD SIT IN OUR CAR FOR A BIT AND PLAY. (All while charging at Tesla's expense. ;-) )

I took a checklist with me and got partway through and couldn't find a problem and so we kind of gave up AND HIT THE MOTORWAY. The M5 was clogged and slow, and we were still sorting out things as we drove, but, crumbs, what a car! We pulled into services halfway home so I could have a go too. I got the best part of the drive (i.e. non-motorway) and nearly broke my wife's neck when I didn't warn her I was about to floor it. I say again, what a car! (I'm a tofu-knitting 'Let's save the planet' kind of person, but if you can have fun along the way, where's the harm?)

Got back, plugged it into my new 3-pin socket (see my other posts passim), and have been packing for holiday ever since (thus this late posting). But I so wanted just to sit in the car and listen to music (I used to sell hifi and, let me tell you, I've heard worse...) and play the games. It's the first car we've ever had (and we've had a ratty old Porsche and a BMW and a Volvo and a couple of Mercs - and some absolute rubbish - and a couple of new Leafs) that's almost as exciting just to sit in as it is to drive.

(And did I already say? It drives like a charm.)

I had another look at the car earlier and I suppose if I'm being really picky, the rear light clusters are very slightly inconsistently proud of the bodywork, but overall the build quality seems excellent. (TBF, I'm no expert - I'd barely heard the phrase 'panel gaps' before getting this Tesla...) Paint looks fine, everything seems to work. (No pictures because it's just a bog-standard LR in white, but I do question my use of the word 'just' there. Even the standard wheels look a bit better in the flesh.)

We've had a few ups and downs to get to this point - thanks to various peeps on this forum who've commented on my posts - but even our first impressions have made it all worthwhile! We take it to Devon and Cornwall for a fortnight tomorrow, then we'll be pootling around at home for a few months before I get to grips with some serious weekly commuting (assuming the universities stay open...).

I can't wait.
Just while I think of it, and apropos of nothing at all, a couple of tiny comments on the staff at Bristol, as part of our collection day experience. Our initial email contact was lovely and helpful, and then (soon after the order was placed!) stopped answering. (That's salespeople for you, I suppose.) She - and the chap who in the end performed the handover - were both very dismissive of the Nissan Leaf, which is maybe fair enough - believe in your own product - but also a little bit insulting, as we've been driving Leafs for 8 1/2 years (and our keeping one as 'town car') and still have a bit of affection for them. As I've heard that Tesla peeps occasionally read this forum (ha!), I'd respectfully suggest that if you want to sell your cars in a different way, maybe a bit of humility, and acknowledging that other EVs are often the 'gateway drug' to the Tesla, might really help. (That, and actually replying to emails.)

(We had two chat conversations. One chap was useless. A week later, another chap - from Scotland - was, after a bit of a nudge, excellent.)

She - and the chap who in the end performed the handover - were both very dismissive of the Nissan Leaf, which is maybe fair enough - believe in your own product - but also a little bit insulting, as we've been driving Leafs for 8 1/2 years (and our keeping one as 'town car') and still have a bit of affection for them.
Unforgivable in my book. There’s no justification for that attitude. Leafs have been the mainstay for many years and deserve some respect. I should think Tesla could learn a thing or two about build quality for a start…

Those who picked theirs up with the warped key cards - have you managed to get these replaced by Tesla yet? I reported mine in the app (along with the rear heated seats not working) and I’ve received an estimate from my local SC with a cost to replace both of them. It clearly states ‘customer pay’ on there which seems odd.

I’ve not approved anything yet and will give them a call in the morning to check but surely this should be done under warranty?

Those who picked theirs up with the warped key cards - have you managed to get these replaced by Tesla yet? I reported mine in the app (along with the rear heated seats not working) and I’ve received an estimate from my local SC with a cost to replace both of them. It clearly states ‘customer pay’ on there which seems odd.

I’ve not approved anything yet and will give them a call in the morning to check but surely this should be done under warranty?

Yes ... they do some odd billing sometimes but it should indeed be under warranty despite the wording. Very good idea to follow up as you are planning to do.

Reactions: TomH0927

Logged it on the app; ranger coming a few days after we return from holidays. No hint of a payment yet, but the visitor's over a week away.

Reactions: TomH0927