Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q3 collection and delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking mine to a detailer on Monday who will do paint correction, so I didn't check to the nth degree - but I did an inspection all around the car about three times and didn't pick up anything. Really bad to hear @mikeyg_ev 's experience though. I'd definitely recommend checking as much as you possibly can. I had another look when it was back on my drive way and I could see the sun reflections and couldn't pick up on any scratches, but fortunately for me the paint correction will sort out any of that.

Fingers crossed for the Deep Blue Metallic having more 'attention' given too it given its a premium paint colour, hope mine comes out like yours! 🤞

My week old car in to get ceramic coated

detailer says the paint is terrible for a car with 270 miles!

send me a report of the paint thickness all over the car, all within tolerance but so many variations

photos completed to follow
Tesla response

Good afternoon Bobby,

We hope you are well and thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry to hear you have experienced difficulties with regards to your paintwork. Of course we wish for all of our vehicles to be delivered in a perfect condition from shipment however, there are occasions where we experience defects. In order for us to correct delivery defects we do request that the damage or defect is reported to Tesla within the first 7 days or 100 miles (whichever is reached first) of ownership. Sadly as we have not been notified of the concerns in the timeframes outlined or made aware prior to the third party applying the ceramic coating we would be unable to accept liability or perform further investigation if it has now been corrected or altered by a third party company.

We are aware this is not the answer you sought from your concerns below however, please understand we have to ensure each customer receives a response in line with Tesla policies and guidelines and due this we are unable to cover any costs incurred that are not prior agreed by Tesla through investigation.

Should you require assistance in the future please do not hesitate to reach out to our team.

Kind regards
Emma
Customer Services

That's so annoying about the paintwork, is it something that would come up ok with a machine polish and wax?

I only ask as I'm paranoid already for my delivery on Wednesday, I've got a detailer coming to do the above 2 weeks after which I'm hoping will clear any such issues...
sure it would polish out, other people have told me they didn't see an issue with it so maybe it's just me wanting it perfect

Reactions: TesTed

Video of my steering issues - hope this is clear for everyone to see
Tesla response

Good afternoon Bobby,

We are sorry to hear you have experienced difficulties with regards to your paintwork. Of course we wish for all of our vehicles to be delivered in a perfect condition from shipment however, there are occasions where we experience defects. In order for us to correct delivery defects we do request that the damage or defect is reported to Tesla within the first 7 days or 100 miles (whichever is reached first) of ownership. Sadly as we have not been notified of the concerns in the timeframes outlined or made aware prior to the third party applying the ceramic coating we would be unable to accept liability or perform further investigation if it has now been corrected or altered by a third party company.

We are aware this is not the answer you sought from your concerns below however, please understand we have to ensure each customer receives a response in line with Tesla policies and guidelines and due this we are unable to cover any costs incurred that are not prior agreed by Tesla through investigation.

Should you require assistance in the future please do not hesitate to reach out to our team.

Kind regards
Emma
Customer Services
It is poor that they have these quality issues at present, but it is what it is, i.e. the only full EV brand worth considering due to being so many lightyears ahead with their battery and motor technology.

One day they will compete with the like of BMW and Audi, but for now we have to live with these defects if we want to sidestep paying through our noses for dead dinosaur juice to power our cars with. I can live with slightly dodgy paint etc. for those benefits.

Reactions: spdpsba and Matt125
I saw it straight away, as soon as you straightened the wheel, definitely escalate within Tesla and take the Glasgow service centre manager out for a drive, he'll see it right away!

Absolutely kick up a stink. No modern car, from a base model Dacia, to Bentley, should have a wonky steering wheel from day 1.

Steve

That’s bad. We use Kwik fit as a service provider at work (I work for a large vehicle mobility company), and they specifically tell us they are fully trained and capable to work on electric vehicles and those using ADAS systems.

That is super clear. If they don't/won't do anything about it, tweet it at Elon. Apparently his exec team monitors it.

Thanks for your messages guys. I have booked in for Kwik Fit tomorrow, so will update. I have told Tesla to send me their complaints procedure too. I’m really not happy.

the only thing is the guy at Kwik Fit says the “steering angle sensor” will need reset and they don’t have the ability to do that. The senior supervisor at Tesla reckoned over the phone the newer M3’s don’t need this done anymore.
I found another post on the forum here saying it can be reset by driving without autopilot and then letting the car sleep for a day or so. How do I put it into a ‘deep sleep’?

Thanks for your messages guys. I have booked in for Kwik Fit tomorrow, so will update. I have told Tesla to send me their complaints procedure too. I’m really not happy.

the only thing is the guy at Kwik Fit says the “steering angle sensor” will need reset and they don’t have the ability to do that. The senior supervisor at Tesla reckoned over the phone the newer M3’s don’t need this done anymore.
I found another post on the forum here saying it can be reset by driving without autopilot and then letting the car sleep for a day or so. How do I put it into a ‘deep sleep’?
I think by doing power off and that will send the car to deep sleep. But not sure that will correct the steering issue. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think it is important you tweet Elon. It is just unacceptable both in terms of quality control and service.

I think by doing power off and that will send the car to deep sleep. But not sure that will correct the steering issue. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think it is important you tweet Elon. It is just unacceptable both in terms of quality control and service.
I have tweeted Elon, I don’t think anything will come of it though. He must get thousands of tweets per day!

Tesla response

Good afternoon Bobby,

Kind regards
Emma
Customer Services
Hi, what’s the email address you have to send your complaint to them?

Collected yesterday from Southampton. Approx 35% but it was enough to get me home. car was dirty but neither of us could spot any paint or interior defects. Been working for the past couple of day so going to give it a thorough going over tomorrow In good light. In for a stage 1 + ceramic next week so we’ll see what they say about the paint. It’s white so maybe it’s just that any flaws are less easy to spot. Car drove perfectly on the way back so no complaints there. Not missing the 5l V8 at all.

Collected yesterday from Southampton. Approx 35% but it was enough to get me home. car was dirty but neither of us could spot any paint or interior defects. Been working for the past couple of day so going to give it a thorough going over tomorrow In good light. In for a stage 1 + ceramic next week so we’ll see what they say about the paint. It’s white so maybe it’s just that any flaws are less easy to spot. Car drove perfectly on the way back so no complaints there. Not missing the 5l V8 at all.

Once you go electric, you can’t go back to fossils! I’m getting mine coated with ceramic and having PPF on the front so I’m interested to hear what they say too.

Attachments

• 39D659C5-5B41-4DB4-8389-2C9C791DEA7E.jpeg
    39D659C5-5B41-4DB4-8389-2C9C791DEA7E.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 60
My updating right now had a message in the app 2021.32.21
Yes it is a new one but only for immersive sound etc., The one you need now is 2021.24.5. There is been some confusion in how Tesla updates the software. It used to be Year.week.version as the order. Not sure now as you’ve got the 32 weeks update before getting the 24 week update that has car wash mode and battery conversion etc.,Let us know if you get those features with the 32 week update

Reactions: moodel_tree