Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i wonder if it is worth calling them asking when delivery gonna happen? probably answer will be "check you account - we will contact you"?
Yeah that's my fear. When you call in it's very robotic. When you're there in person, suddenly it's very human and I have had some lengthy philosophical and life chats! Heck last time I was there we ended up talking about investment hints and stocks on watch list (I work in investment management), so as exchange of advice, got some really great chats going about inside Tesla etc. I get calls are recorded so it's many a case of brick walls. In person... now we're talking :)

no risk of not getting the 60kwh battery though right? Thats already ‘standard’? likewise heated steering wheel and rear seats? the question marks are around heated wipers, new cpu and rear laminated windows
Yeah the LFP is pretty much a given now from what I understand. I'm curious if new 3 LR ones have the 82kwh battery in the UK. This change doesn't necessarily bother me too much, but I have read that the 82kwh battery doesn't support the performance boost 🙄

Yeah the LFP is pretty much a given now from what I understand. I'm curious if new 3 LR ones have the 82kwh battery in the UK. This change doesn't necessarily bother me too much, but I have read that the 82kwh battery doesn't support the performance boost 🙄
heh. bmw 330e on sport mode felt super fast and responsive.. and it is 290 bhp and 0-60 in 5.9s.

I have a suspicion that 4.2 to 60 will be more than enough :D

• Funny
Reactions: Snowy77
no risk of not getting the 60kwh battery though right? Thats already ‘standard’? likewise heated steering wheel and rear seats? the question marks are around heated wipers, new cpu and rear laminated windows
No risk. The range that comes with the new 60 kWh battery is the spec on the website that you would order against, the same for heated rear seats and steering wheel.

Reactions: Mrklaw
The LFP battery has been standard now for 13 months on UK vehicles. I think you meant the new 60 kWh LFP battery, not the previous 55 kWh LFP battery.

The new LR battery (79 kWh, not 82 kWh), has started to be seen in the UK. Many of the LRs delivered late December came with them, but Tesla hasn't updated the website with the new range this battery provides so there is probably still a period of time where old and new batteries will be seen.

Acceleration Boost hasn't been validated for the new battery yet so no you cannot purchase it on those vehicles. I'd expect this to be temporary, it is expected that the M3P will start to use the same battery, and if the battery can handle that then it shouldn't have any issue with AB.

it would be great to get some clarity from Tesla

I mean logic (which not necessary applies to Tesla all the time) would suggest that if I ordered car for delivery on March 2022 and there is new internal communication on what 2022 spec (ryzen, all laminated windows, etc.) is "from now on (start of 2022), then it should be that what is ordered for 2022 delivery is that.

the thing is - tesla do not state that there are ANY laminated windows at all.

Yeah, and it's something I have relayed to Tesla a few times. I even told them I'm not Osborn'ing out on them, I'm just going on what they have said will be 2022 updated. I'm not delaying for something that will never arrive, I'm ordering a 2022 spec car, and will accept a 2022 spec car when a 2022 spec car arrives and ticks all the currently published check boxes. What happens 3 or 6 months now is something to worry about when I eventually trade in for a new 2025 / 2026 car :) :)

VIN numbers should be able to identify cars though, so if they can see from a delivery manifest that these first batches don't meet the criteria, will have to decide if it's worth hanging out a little longer. I don't want to be too picky though. Might have to look at the possible outcomes, and decide if I can live with older spec if new ones are due in any time now... It's horrible for a tech savvy OCD gimboid like me! (Red Dwarf)

Last edited:
I think for me, though I'm tempted to wait as long as I have to in order to get the AMD Ryzen (the other potential upgrades aren't such big deals to me), I'm just not going to have the patience to wait longer than March. I won't have a car at all until my Tesla arrives, and even though I can do the basics (get to work, order grocery deliveries) without one, I'm already feeling stir crazy and my current car hasn't even gone yet (it goes tomorrow) :)

I'm already getting friends invite me to things in Feb and me thinking "ugh... I want to go to that. But they live in the middle of nowhere. How am I going to get there? I guess I'll have to rent a car... ugh" so by the time we get to March I am going to be going out of my mind 🤣

If it was delaying to April that would be one thing, but who knows if you miss the March deliveries whether it will end up being April, May or June that you have to wait until?

@AutomaticMan would you wait until April if you got an AMD AND new 79kwh battery if you knew they were already made and waiting in Shanghai for shipping to the UK?

o_O
Maybe if I knew for certain,
  • My March one definitely wouldn't have AMD.
  • The April one definitely would have AMD.
  • The April one definitely would be April and not actually May/June in reality.
It sounds like I won't know any of those things at the point I'd have to make a decision. My guess is what we'll see when the Feb cars arrive on these shores is that some have AMD and some have Intel and it's luck of the draw which you get. For all we know now, this may also be true of the April/May/June cars... we could be the last market to get all cars rolled over to AMD.

With all that uncertainty, my feeling cooped up and stir crazy is going to lead to me grabbing with both hands the first Tesla I'm matched with I think!

Reactions: Snowy77
With all that uncertainty, my feeling cooped up and stir crazy is going to lead to me grabbing with both hands the first Tesla I'm matched with I think!
Blessed with the knowledge that you're still driving one of the most advanced vehicles on the road has got to help :)

Questions about mapping VINs to shipments of car specs I need to discover myself as well. Everything is also going around in my mind, and it's the not knowing or uncertainty about ordering a 50k car not knowing even it's spec is disconcerting. Regardless of what WE'RE told, they know! They absolutely know ;-) but probably under some guideline to ensure first come are first served, but with or without earlier stock or not is unclear. Hoping specific requests are accommodated.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
Blessed with the knowledge that you're still driving one of the most advanced vehicles on the road has got to help :)

Questions about mapping VINs to shipments of car specs I need to discover myself as well. Everything is also going around in my mind, and it's the not knowing or uncertainty about ordering a 50k car not knowing even it's spec is disconcerting. Regardless of what WE'RE told, they know! They absolutely know ;-) but probably under some guideline to ensure first come are first served, but with or without earlier stock or not is unclear. Hoping specific requests are accommodated.
I’m sure someone knows, but whether any Tesla salesperson that mere mortals like you and I could speak to knows anything is debatable. I suspect that your salesperson won’t know what processor is in it until he’s sitting in it with you on collection day and you both read it off the screen.

Only question then is, if it is an Intel processor will he let you reject it for that reason on the day? As I believe someone said further up this thread, they will already have your money and have registered it for you by this point, so they’re not going to be keen to let you reject it. The ordering pages for the car make no mention of what processor the car has, so I doubt you’ll get away with saying it isn’t as advertised.

Sadly, I think we just have to accept that we’re in luck of the draw territory here.

its an interesting situation where you (as the paying customer) might argue it should be first come, bit later served. You being earlier in the queue could mean you are a higher priority and get to choose. But you can see how that would be a right PITA for Tesla. Maybe they could do it on a boat by boat basis though. Once its under way, they should know the list of all types and what they have, as they match them to customers. So they should have the info to say 'if you don't take this, we can match to the same colour on the same boat but it has XX feature that you wanted'. or 'if you don't take this you'll miss the boat and be waiting a couple of weeks for the next one'

Only question then is, if it is an Intel processor will he let you reject it for that reason on the day? As I believe someone said further up this thread, they will already have your money and have registered it for you by this point, so they’re not going to be keen to let you reject it. The ordering pages for the car make no mention of what processor the car has, so I doubt you’ll get away with saying it isn’t as advertised.
Might be able to meet them half way.. Depends how far down the line the car is when they call and offer it. I'm in a position I can leave my house and stand next to them by the time they end the call. IF the car is in prep and ready to hand over, it MUST be on location somewhere, which means IF no one has a scooby doo what's in it, I could swing by, and look at the car myself within 10 minutes of the call to see if I am happy to accept it. If it meets prerequisites I can accept there and then, or decline without wasting any Tesla time / man power arranging pick up day etc. Which is ludicrous put like that, but someone has got to eyeball the car at some point, it doesn't just unfold in the collection car park, someone must inspect the cars when they arrive, surely someone can go to the about page and see if it says AMD, and eyeball the rear window to see if it's double-paned.

If Tesla literally cannot identify their own cars, and can't interpret the spec from the VIN I am prepared to go to Q2 and see what the consensus is filtering down on the Q1 March specs.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
Might be able to meet them half way.. Depends how far down the line the car is when they call and offer it. I'm in a position I can leave my house and stand next to them by the time they end the call. IF the car is in prep and ready to hand over, it MUST be on location somewhere, which means IF no one has a scooby doo what's in it, I could swing by, and look at the car myself within 10 minutes of the call to see if I am happy to accept it. If it meets prerequisites I can accept there and then, or decline without wasting any Tesla time / man power arranging pick up day etc. Which is ludicrous put like that, but someone has got to eyeball the car at some point, it doesn't just unfold in the collection car park, someone must inspect the cars when they arrive, surely someone can go to the about page and see if it says AMD, and eyeball the rear window to see if it's double-paned.

If Tesla literally cannot identify their own cars, and can't interpret the spec from the VIN I am prepared to go to Q2 and see what the consensus is filtering down on the Q1 March specs.

That sounds fair enough to me... I think the key will be making the decision before they register it. On the VIN though, how do we know whether we can tell if it has AMD from the VIN? I've read lots of things on here about parts like new rear lights coming and going at different times. Like, earlier VIN cars having the new rear lights, then later VIN cars not having them for a while, then even later VIN cars getting them again. From reading posts here, it seems like you get the parts they happen to be using on any given day in the factory at random. One day they may have opened a container of new parts, the next day they may find a container of the older parts to use up is how it sounds to me. That's why I'm resigned to not being able to know which processor my car has until someone fires up the infotainment system and reads it on the screen.

I'm quite sure that there is a 'digital twin' of every car, including hardware, firmware and software versions of everything installed in a database against which Tesla employees can run queries. How else could they push out OTA updates to compatible vehicles, or store all the telematics data. The question is then, what data can your SA access, given a primary key such as VIN?