Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are are leasing as a private buyers in the current market and lets say are placing a factory order. The amount that you will pay per month just for the car alone(without insurance/services/maintenance/roadside assistance etc) will most likely be more than the net monthly that you will pay on salary sacrifice. Plus you get to save the deposit.
I was going to just max out the PCP down payment with part of my bonus, then just pay some £470 per month, then after 4 years just blow the rest of the balloon. So down payment / balloon covered, just paying the £470 per month. I had done the napkin math at some point, and it's easily doable, but, being a tight ass if I can dodge some of the tax with salary sacrifice I'm curious how the whole thing works. I just had a chat with HR / benefitadmin, and they couldn't tell me squat yet. Meanies.

How does it work for you guys?

I was going to just max out the PCP down payment with part of my bonus, then just pay some £470 per month, then after 4 years just blow the rest of the balloon. So down payment / balloon covered, just paying the £470 per month. I had done the napkin math at some point, and it's easily doable, but, being a tight ass if I can dodge some of the tax with salary sacrifice I'm curious how the whole thing works. I just had a chat with HR / benefitadmin, and they couldn't tell me squat yet. Meanies.

How does it work for you guys?
A gross amount is calculated which includes the car payment insurances and everything. That Gets deducted from your pre tax monthly income
On payslip so the net amount or impact
On your current salary is the actual cost to you and as the monthly car benefit amount goes out from your pre tax income, It saves you money on your NI and tax as your income is reduced

Reactions: Snowy77
Must admit the thought of everything ALL in for a monthly salary sacrificial fee does sound tormentingly tempting.
If you have to sacrifice via a salary sacrifice scheme to be honest it didn't seem much different to PCH to me - they raise the prices on the salary sacrifice scheme cars to bring net cost almost up to a PCH cost.

I reduced my salary and took on a business lease, after 40% tax saving and employer NI saving added back into lease I'm leasing a model Y for £317/month net on a 35+1 lease which is an absolute steal I think.

Reactions: tr!x and Snowy77
sometimes the savings aren’t massive, depending how much insurance woudl likely cost you. Also if you were planning to buy the car via PCP then you have an asset you can use later too - so total cost of ownership migth not be much different (you lease with SS so no car at the end which may or may not be a big deal for you)

If you have to sacrifice via a salary sacrifice scheme to be honest it didn't seem much different to PCH to me - they raise the prices on the salary sacrifice scheme cars to bring net cost almost up to a PCH cost.

I reduced my salary and took on a business lease, after 40% tax saving and employer NI saving added back into lease I'm leasing a model Y for £317/month net on a 35+1 lease which is an absolute steal I think.
Perks of having your own business haha.

Just had some interesting news... maybe Tesla did me a favor delaying my order. Our company just introduced a salary sacrifice scheme for EVs.. Including Tesla. Now just scrambling to see just exactly what it means (or could mean). Has anyone here got their car through salary sacrifice? Even just being able to dodge some of that tax makes it a well worthwhile prop!

If you are a higher rate tax payer you are going to save about 40% and pay only 2% BIK

but has some pension/mortgage issues as it is a salary sacrifice so depends where you are with those

After a "difficult" chat with Craig on a collection date for next week I have conceded and am now driving from Glasgow to Bluewater to collect on Tuesday :p. He was pretty rigid in allowing any flexibility to collect the following week and essentially said the car would be allocated elsewhere.

It's largely my doing as I could have refused the Bluewater allocation but I hoped to combine with a work trip. 7.5 hours there and 7.5 hours back. At least the return journey will be full of smiles!!

Now, does anyone know how I get details are the car/reg/VIN etc given its a week away from collection?

sometimes the savings aren’t massive, depending how much insurance woudl likely cost you. Also if you were planning to buy the car via PCP then you have an asset you can use later too - so total cost of ownership migth not be much different (you lease with SS so no car at the end which may or may not be a big deal for you)
I did think this. There's a couple of considerations I did have. I assume a model 3 will probably change a bit, maybe significantly in the next 3 years.. depending on those changes (crystal ball) I wonder if leasing now via salary sacrifice would take away the stress of full ownership if say Tesla do one and introduce 4680s or structural battery pack / suddenly reduce the M3 price by 30% (not likely but you never know) etc.... Leasing would let you walk away, whereas if you purchase, you'd have to absorb the difference.

It's all hypothetical, and didn't even occur to me before today and this silly scheme was introduced... Now I can't stop thinking about it lol.

It's the total cost of ownership I'm toying about the numbers with. Not having to fork out the 15k will help.... but then will never own the car... argh

Reactions: Spottytiger
If you are a higher rate tax payer you are going to save about 40% and pay only 2% BIK

but has some pension/mortgage issues as it is a salary sacrifice so depends where you are with those
Which I am unfortunately, it's why I think possibly the tax dodge would make it quite an attractive opportunity. The company isn't helping though, they say they're 'working on it' and can't give details on anything yet. Might give it until end of March for them to get me some info.. if not I'll just probably accept my MAY delivery. RN should be transferrable though. Problem is i know absolutely nothing at this time lol ... oh dear!

Super helpful guys thanks for the input from you all. Will keep on top of it, and see just what the offer is. My dilemma is holding holding holding, miss my opportunity to get a car in May, and miss a delicious salary sacrifice opportunity, or, possibly throw away a May delivery for a chance for the sacrifice scheme to be pap and go back to end of queue!

GAH. we'll see.

Just had some interesting news... maybe Tesla did me a favor delaying my order. Our company just introduced a salary sacrifice scheme for EVs.. Including Tesla. Now just scrambling to see just exactly what it means (or could mean). Has anyone here got their car through salary sacrifice? Even just being able to dodge some of that tax makes it a well worthwhile prop!
I fount out my company will be looking at this but no timeline so I've stuck with the lease