Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: buying from Tesla used inventory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been out looking at equivalent models at local dealers this morning. I am so tempted to cancel. Chased Tesla and got the following...

Looking into the status. There has been progression made. Refurb work is to be completed for next week. The delivery team will reach out once this has been completed to schedule you in to collect your model 3

So although absolutely nothing has been done to the car, progression has been made apparently. That's the third week on the run that the refurb has supposed to have been done - ignoring the fact I was told it would be ready for collection on the 14th of April, but the logistics of getting it to the NEC supposedly stopped that happening.

I would just rather give my money to somebody else at this stage - it's just the EAP and the extended warranty that's stopping me.
If I had not paid in full, I would have cancelled by now, even though I have not yet seen anything even close to the deal I got. The reason I paid in full because at the start they told me it would be 4 weeks maximum, so I didn't want to delay things with financing from my side. I've now entered the 7th week since my order, the 7th week!... my first finance payment comes out next week! The only reason I'm waiting it out is because I know it will likely take another 7+ weeks to get my money back.

But yeah, it really is shocking that they have taken all these orders for cars and likely hundreds of thousands of pounds from people, then literally done nothing to get the cars ready. I can't understand how that's even legal? They should not be selling used cars if they don't have the capacity for it, they should just auction trade-in's on as is.

Reactions: Matrel
If I had not paid in full, I would have cancelled by now, even though I have not yet seen anything even close to the deal I got. The reason I paid in full because at the start they told me it would be 4 weeks maximum, so I didn't want to delay things with financing from my side. I've now entered the 7th week since my order, the 7th week!... my first finance payment comes out next week! The only reason I'm waiting it out is because I know it will likely take another 7+ weeks to get my money back.

But yeah, it really is shocking that they have taken all these orders for cars and likely hundreds of thousands of pounds from people, then literally done nothing to get the cars ready. I can't understand how that's even legal? They should not be selling used cars if they don't have the capacity for it, they should just auction trade-in's on as is.
How were you able to pay? Until I have a confirmed collection date, which was cancelled before, my invoice/contract is still being drafted up..

That’s cheeky. I haven’t been asked to pay yet either

I've seen this a few times (for brand new cars). Very occasionally a customer is sent a final invoice long before the car arrives on UK shores and they pay it ...
Customer Service are apologetic and say "That never happens", but more than one person has reported it on the forum over the years ...

So might be "Tesla chaos". Or just that they (and their systems) thought the car was going to be ready, because someone had (wrongly) done an earlier step e.g. "Email the hopefuls" - and that then allowed the billing-step to proceed.

A week has passed since they told me I'd hear back from them later that day.
That's what has finally got me looking elsewhere, it's the lack of courtesy and the hollow promises - I have this text conversation on my phone where the various different Tesla contacts have started conversations, always with a 'if you have any questions please ask', followed by a series of my unanswered questions.

I only followed up with Tesla today to prove to myself that nothing would have changed and that it would be another case of not delivering on last week's tall tales.

My worry now is that having looked at a series of equivalent models, none of them needed to have interior components replaced. So what the heck am I going to get from Tesla if they've had to replace 3 interior panels (1 x seat back, 2 x door cards) - doesn't strike me as having been somebody's pride and joy. Whilst the new bits will obviously look great, what about the rest of the car that I can't see, or the bits that aren't that bad they need replacing?

My worry now is that having looked at a series of equivalent models, none of them needed to have interior components replaced. So what the heck am I going to get from Tesla if they've had to replace 3 interior panels (1 x seat back, 2 x door cards) - doesn't strike me as having been somebody's pride and joy. Whilst the new bits will obviously look great, what about the rest of the car that I can't see, or the bits that aren't that bad they need replacing?

"Our access to the full history and service records of each vehicle allow us to select the used vehicles best suited to be sold."

Surely they wouldn't lie, I mean there are no other lies on that page.

"Your delivery timeframe depends on a variety of factors including preparation time and transportation time, and may take around two to four weeks."
"We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service in the industry."

Oh....

• Funny
Reactions: AndyFov and Matrel
Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 16.45.56.png

allow us to select the used vehicles best suited to be sold.
The ones that came in so w@nkered we were able to charge their previous lease holder a fortune in damage and mileage fees on an already outrageously profitable lease agreement, that we can then bang out the door, after a few attempts at remediating said damage, on some poor unsuspecting idiot who is forced to buy blind from a representative image that bears (or bares in Tesla customer service world) a purely theoretical similarity to the actual vehicle.

I'm happy to share my experience purchasing a used M3P directly from Tesla.

- Order placed on 15th March
- Followed up after one week of placing the order - told to wait as it takes 2 to 4 in refurbishment
- followed up after four weeks of placing the order - told were waiting for parts to arrive, missed transport etc.
- then told collection site has been changed to Corby as no used deliveries are taking place from the previously stated centre
- Finally collected the vehicle from Corby centre this week

Collection experience -
- There is no dedicated Tesla centre in Corby. A guy was sitting in a Tesla Model X with a laptop, Ipad, a bucket of cleaning spray etc
- You can judge how important you are to them

Vehicle Condition -
- I found sections of overspray in the front and rear bumper
- Several spots of paint bubble
- Tesla delivery technician confirmed that the vehicle was refurbished by 3rd party and not by Tesla directly
- The technician checked the repair history and confirmed the vehicle had been repainted. The delivery technician confirmed no other work had been carried out (meaning waiting for the parts quoted initially was a lie)
- I have found several other issues in the vehicle, primarily cosmetic. It will undoubtedly degrade the value of the car.

Delivery Agent -
- An arrogant/rude agent with an attitude of it is what it is, take it or leave it
- I have bought used cars in the past from other online dealers but never faced this type of behaviour
- When I followed up with the agent to highlight the issue, I was told that the price reflects the wear and tear. Remember, this is not my first purchase of a used car.

I'm disappointed and feel disrespected by how Telsa treated me. £ 30K is not a small amount.

We have decided to return the vehicle.

the vehicle had been repainted

End of 2019 model
42k miles

Out of curiosity: what would happen to a car that caused it to need a repaint? Its 3-4 years old, and only slightly above average mileage

(Given that someone decided that they a) wanted to take this car as a trade in and b) having done that, they weren't going to send it to auction)

I’ve dipped into this thread from time to time and I’m appalled at the way Tesla handles buyers these days.

I bought new in 2020 following a test drive in Norwich and organised by Tesla Cambridge. Times were clearly different then.
The car was available 2 months earlier than planned. Cambridge pulled out all the stops to get it delivered to my home on day one of the first lockdown.
Despite being a Fremont car, it had nothing that needed putting right.

I‘ve bought plenty of my cars second hand, both privately and through dealers. In all those tears the attitude of just one private seller caused me to walk away and every dealer I ever dealt with went to great lengths to ensure their car was at it best for me.

Tesla seem to be so busy, they just don’t give a toss any more. It’s almost an “if you don’t buy it, someone else will” attitude.

Times are changing. There is a lot of competition heading their way.

I hope you get you all get your cars in good time and good order.

I’ve dipped into this thread from time to time and I’m appalled at the way Tesla handles buyers these days.

I bought new in 2020 following a test drive in Norwich and organised by Tesla Cambridge. Times were clearly different then.
The car was available 2 months earlier than planned. Cambridge pulled out all the stops to get it delivered to my home on day one of the first lockdown.
Despite being a Fremont car, it had nothing that needed putting right.

I‘ve bought plenty of my cars second hand, both privately and through dealers. In all those tears the attitude of just one private seller caused me to walk away and every dealer I ever dealt with went to great lengths to ensure their car was at it best for me.

Tesla seem to be so busy, they just don’t give a toss any more. It’s almost an “if you don’t buy it, someone else will” attitude.

Times are changing. There is a lot of competition heading their way.

I hope you get you all get your cars in good time and good order.
I bought a new MY last month. Should have been 4 weeks from order to collection, but turned out to by 3 weeks and the price was reduced by £3,200 at the last minute. Whole purchasing process was just about perfect as far as I was concerned, and I’ve been very happy with the car since I’ve had it. I think you’re right to say that times change, don’t they always? Competition is good, let’s hope Tesla respond appropriately, but I’d be disappointed if they became just like some of the legacy manufacturers who I’ve never been impressed by when buying from.

While my purchasing experience was spot on I’m not saying that’s the same for everyone else in all circumstances. Clearly the experience for some people in this thread has fallen far below what anyone would like to have.

Reactions: Exy1
I bought a new MY last month. Should have been 4 weeks from order to collection, but turned out to by 3 weeks and the price was reduced by £3,200 at the last minute. Whole purchasing process was just about perfect as far as I was concerned, and I’ve been very happy with the car since I’ve had it. I think you’re right to say that times change, don’t they always? Competition is good, let’s hope Tesla respond appropriately, but I’d be disappointed if they became just like some of the legacy manufacturers who I’ve never been impressed by when buying from.

While my purchasing experience was spot on I’m not saying that’s the same for everyone else in all circumstances. Clearly the experience for some people in this thread has fallen far below what anyone would like to have.
New MY, that's the difference. Musk and his Marketeers can add your purchase to the numbers they brag about every quarter on twitter (or whatever it's called now).