Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: buying from Tesla used inventory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MY, that's the difference. Musk and his Marketeers can add your purchase to the numbers they brag about every quarter on twitter (or whatever it's called now).
Sure, there’s a difference. But the poster I replied to said that he was appalled the way that Tesla handles buyers these days. Buyers, not secondhand buyers. So I offered a counterpoint as a recent, and entirely happy, buyer.

Is the experience described in recent pages here typical of buying used cars from Tesla, or uniquely poor at the moment for a minority of buyers?

Is the experience described in recent pages here typical of buying used cars from Tesla, or uniquely poor at the moment for a minority of buyers?
It’s a tough one, obviously those having issues will always shout the loudest. But if you look on Facebook, Reddit and here I would say it’s ’poorer than usual for the majority of buyers’, especially those whose cars are at Corby.

Sadly I’m another of the disgruntled customers waiting for a car at Corby.

Ordered on 19th March. Been given numerous dates as to when it will be ready. But these never happen. Fresh excuses each time.

Most recently been told I’m waiting for a “cosmetic tyre repair” whatever that is.

Have been told all will be completed by 12th April, 18th April and currently 28th April. Online chat today can’t confirm anything and cut me off as they didn’t want to discuss the delays any further.

The level of service provided is absolutely appalling.

Would love to cancel the order, but sadly everything similar is now about £5000 more expensive on both Autotrader and Tesla.com

I will chime in, I’ve purchased a new Tesla 2 years ago and currently in the process of purchasing a second hand one and have shared my experience about this latest one previously. Ordered a m3p 2019 and coming up to 7 weeks now and Tesla never un promoted reached out to give an idea of what’s going on. or to say you haven’t been forgotten.

When I Purchased new 2 years ago it was such an exciting experience and won’t forget how buzzing we were on the day of collection.

I’m tinkering whether to cancel at this point out of principal. The experience has been endless reassurances of call backs and lack of knowledge over what’s going on.

They aren’t cheap and if I’d ordered fish and chips at £10 (London Prices people!) and it was delayed I’d no doubt get told. So why when £30,000 is spent do I not get a courtesy call saying congrats on the car, we are on it.

Reactions: Exy1
I'm happy to share my experience purchasing a used M3P directly from Tesla.
Thanks very much for posting that - it has heavily influenced my current position. I selected a 20 plate M3P with 33K at a price of £30,800, a lot later than some other folks here, on the 19th of March. I now anticipate that at that price, in addition to the repaired damage I know about, there will be other damage that isn't repaired, or is badly repaired. I am fairly confident that if I do go ahead, when I go to collect it, it will be a sinking feeling when I set eyes on it, not one of 'brilliant, what a bargain' and I will probably return it - EAP and an extended warranty are worth nothing on a car you look at every morning and regret buying.

Would love to cancel the order, but sadly everything similar is now about £5000 more expensive on both Autotrader and Tesla.com

The equivalents that are on my doorstep and I have physically inspected are one at £29K, but 60K miles, with the condition of the car I would describe as very good given its age and mileage. Just a few dings on the wheels and a couple of paint chips. A great deal, but the mileage is way higher than what I would normally be happy with and I would worry about the long term costs, but at least I can see it has been cared for.

The alternative is an absolutely immaculate one at £35K with 20,000 miles. When I say immaculate, it looks like it hasn't gone anywhere, there isn't a single mark on any alloy, the only things are some light scratching of the black gloss interior and the start of the inevitable delamination of the carbon fibre spoiler. The bodywork is absolutely unmarked. But it is missing EAP and obviously the extended warranty. So already expensive, but rightly so given the condition, but would need another £4-5K spending to be equivalent. Plus I can't actually afford it! 😂

At least with either of those, I would know exactly what I am getting when I hand my money over and am not going to have to sit for another however long waiting for my money back so I can buy something else. I have to admit, I very keen to hear what those collecting their cars tell us later today!!

New MY, that's the difference

Not just new ...

I've had 6 cars off Tesla. Last one they revised my trade in offer (upwards). I was surprised, My Tesla didn't reflect the email offer, I questioned it and I was told (in writing, repeatedly) that it was a system problem and they would honour the price (words like that - i.e. hard to wriggle out of ...). Of course I needed a final invoice that was accurate before I could pay ... and that, repeatedly, didn't happen. Eventually (day before collection) someone calls to tells me they are not going to honour the revised price and I can take it or leave it. They could have offered me, for example, a tow bar or some bunce. Nope.

Tesla have had loads of referrals off me (and I have the swag to prove it) ...

Business Model chooses not to have credence for any of that. I happen to like the cars, was surprised at the revised price for trade in anyway, so I decided to go ahead (and it then took then 3 goes to get the invoice right - a brand new car and a trade in and take into account a £100 deposit - get one wrong each time and you need 3 attempts (clearly manual, rather than automated, which in itself is astonishing) . so payment was at 16:59 the day before a 09:00 collection, and despite their "Payment will register in your account within minutes if you quote the RN on payment" that didn't happen either (and not for a further 3 days as it turned out) so was a whole other level of hassle to get confirmation payment was received with tight timeline to collection.

I'd like to think that this is the crux.

Company growing at phenomenal speed, "back office systems" are a challenge to put in place. We have the same thing in my company, and I am the IT guy, and I definitely know what I am doing. But we still have massive manual workarounds for things that we can't get into place fast enough (and we deliberately tolerate them, but they lead to errors, and generally speaking more time is spent sorting out any errors than actually getting the routine job done ... automation, once we have that built, does fix it). But we don't then have an approach that pisses off our customers on top of that!

I have no idea why Tesla is forecourting cars that have needed respray at 40K miles ... or "a bunch of replacement bits". I would have expected them to send those to auction ... maybe they have decided they don't want poor quality 2nd cars floating around the market and decide to do something about it ...

Either way, over the 7 years I've been a customer their back office systems have never kept up with growth. Musk (I presume) has pressured their DEV to rollout stuff that their competitors don't have. "Move the Customer Service to APP / human-free". That was rolled out long before either the market or their back office systems was ready for it! and was total chaos for a while - as in "Didn't work properly, but they had already removed the human component - "as per plan"

Musk (again, I presume it comes from the top) has pushed lots of things on timescales that are ambitious (and mostly not achieved, when originally expected). The appetite of early adopters to put up with that is different to Early and Late majority, let alone the Laggards!

The Captain needs to alter the Ship's course to accommodate that. Question is whether he will do it before the reputational damage is irreparable.

My history:

2015 bought my first MS. Delivery guy had the car parked in pride of place in the showroom and whipped a sheet off it, and then spent an hour going through everything with me - whilst it was plugged in and fully charged by the time I left.

Had a few snags, nothing was too much trouble. They came and picked the car up and dropped off a loaner each time. One time I took the car there, picked up a loaner and, like a complete idiot, I left my house keys in the car ... they sent someone to my house (2 hours drive) to drop them off ...

Bought one of the first M3's into the country, collected from Heathrow - they were shifting 100 cars a day - looked like the start of Le Mons!

Got a second M3 a year later - by then they had a PowerPoint Presentation to "everyone collecting at 10:00" - by then they were shifting 200 cars a day (for a few weeks of the quarter)

Replaced the MS and got the same PowerPoint presentation (i.e. only suitable for an M3) !! My MS was just parked in between the rows of M3s ... Made no difference to me, I was familiar and didn't need hand holding). But imagine a 1st time buyer of a £100K car ...

Replaced M3 with MY - Dartford. Two guys at a rickety wooden table in a multi storey car park. "Here's the keys off you go". PowerPoint was no more!

I counted well over 200 new cars ... turned out that they didn't only use that one level of the car park. All key-handover, as well as any questions anyone had, was "those two guys"

So why when £30,000 is spent do I not get a courtesy call saying congrats on the car, we are on it.

I think that's because their back office system don't accommodate it. Back Office system should know exactly where your car is, on what boat, when it will be in Southampton, when the car transporter will pick it up ... when it will arrive at Handover ... putting all that on your My Tesla would be cool (sorry Mr Miserable, the shipping thread would be out of business!)

Likewise with integration of the assessment of what is needed to be done to get a 2nd hand car ready, what bits are needed, and when they will be in stock. Deliveries are all "just in time" (or jolly well should be) so that data should all be known "down to the minute".

The only reason they aren't able to tell you that, and call you back, and all the rest, can only be because their back office systems don't, yet, do all that stuff. The cost of the manual workaround they are doing strikes me as bonkers. Each time they have to speak to you (or handle a request) is a "Big cost" (if it could otherwise be automated, or you were informed such that you didn't call at all). I'm surprised a manager isn't saying "Get that fixed".

I like the letter-headed Memo paper Churchill used to use for his hand written notes to people. Printed at the top was "Action this day" :)

Last edited:
Not just new ...

I've had 6 cars off Tesla. Last one they revised my trade in offer (upwards). I was surprised, My Tesla didn't reflect the email offer, I questioned it and I was told (in writing, repeatedly) that it was a system problem and they would honour the price (words like that - i.e. hard to wriggle out of ...). Of course I needed a final invoice that was accurate before I could pay ... and that, repeatedly, didn't happen. Eventually (day before collection) someone calls to tells me they are not going to honour the revised price and I can take it or leave it. They could have offered me, for example, a tow bar or some bunce. Nope.

Tesla have had loads of referrals off me (and I have the swag to prove it) ...

Business Model chooses not to have credence for any of that. I happen to like the cars, was surprised at the revised price for trade in anyway, so I decided to go ahead (and it then took then 3 goes to get the invoice right - a brand new car and a trade in and take into account a £100 deposit - get one wrong each time and you need 3 attempts (clearly manual, rather than automated, which in itself is astonishing) . so payment was at 16:59 the day before a 09:00 collection, and despite their "Payment will register in your account within minutes if you quote the RN on payment" that didn't happen either (and not for a further 3 days as it turned out) so was a whole other level of hassle to get confirmation payment was received with tight timeline to collection.

I'd like to think that this is the crux.

Company growing at phenomenal speed, "back office systems" are a challenge to put in place. We have the same thing in my company, and I am the IT guy, and I definitely know what I am doing. But we still have massive manual workarounds for things that we can't get into place fast enough (and we deliberately tolerate them, but they lead to errors, and generally speaking more time is spent sorting out any errors than actually getting the routine job done ... automation, once we have that built, does fix it). But we don't then have an approach that pisses off our customers on top of that!

I have no idea why Tesla is forecourting cars that have needed respray at 40K miles ... or "a bunch of replacement bits". I would have expected them to send those to auction ... maybe they have decided they don't want poor quality 2nd cars floating around the market and decide to do something about it ...

Either way, over the 7 years I've been a customer their back office systems have never kept up with growth. Musk (I presume) has pressured their DEV to rollout stuff that their competitors don't have. "Move the Customer Service to APP / human-free". That was rolled out long before eithger the market or their back office systems was ready for it! and was total chaos for a while - as in "Didn't work properly, but they had already removed the human component - "as per plan"

Musk (again, I presume it comes from the top) has pushed lots of things on timescales that are ambitious (and mostly not achieved, when originally expected). The appetite of early adopters to put up with that is different to Early and Late majority, let alone the Laggards!

The Captain needs to alter the Ship's course to accommodate that. Question is whether he will do it before the reputational damage is irreparable.

My history:

2015 bought my first MS. Delivery guy had the car parked in pride of place in the showroom and whipped a sheet off it, and then spent an hour going through everything with me - whilst it was plugged in and fully charged by the time I left.

Had a few snags, nothing was too much trouble. They came and picked the car up and dropped off a loaner each time. One time I took the car there, picked up a loaner and, like a complete idiot, I left my house keys in the car ... they sent someone to my house (2 hours drive) to drop them off ...

Bought one of the first M3's into the country, collected from Heathrow - they were shifting 100 cars a day - looked like the start of Le Mons!

Got a second M3 a year later - by then they had a PowerPoint Presentation to "everyone collecting at 10:00" - by then they were shifting 200 cars a day (for a few weeks of the quarter)

Replaced the MS and got the same PowerPoint presentation (i.e. only suitable for an M3) !! My MS was just parked in between the rows of M3s ... Made no difference to me, I was familiar and didn't need hand holding). But imagine a 1st time buyer of a £100K car ...

Replaced M3 with MY - Dartford. Two guys at a rickety wooden table in a multi storey car park. "Here's the keys off you go". PowerPoint was no more!

I counted well over 200 new cars ... turned out that they didn't only use that one level of the car park. All key0-handover was well as any questions anyone had was "those two guys"

I think that's because their back office system don't accommodate it. Back Office system should know exactly where your car is, on what boat, when it will be in Southampton, when the car transporter will pick it up ... when it will arrive at Handover ... putting all that on your My Tesla would be cool (sorry Mr Miserable, the shipping thread would be out of business!)

Likewise with integration of the assessment of what is needed to be done to get a 2nd hand car ready, what bits are needed, and when they will be in stock. Deliveries are all "just in time" (or jolly well should be) so that data should all be known "down to the minute".

The only reason they aren't able to tell you that, and call you back, and all the rest, can only be because their back office systems don't, yet, do all that stuff. The cost of the manual workaround they are doing strikes me as bonkers. Each time they have to speak to you (or handle a request) is a "Big cost" (if it could otherwise be automated, or you were informed such that you didn't call at all). I'm surprised a manager isn't saying "Get that fixed".

I like the letter-headed Memo paper Churchill used to use for his hand written notes to people. Printed at the top was "Action this day" :)
Wow 6 cars, that is testament to how fun they drive though eh!

I had forgot to include a previous new order where my 10/11 month wait on a new model 3 had dates yo-yo’d around three times which I’m the end saw the trade in value of my car decrease £12,000 which in turn made a trade up unviable.

It definitely isn’t just second hand cars agreed!

I've been quite blasé and unbothered, but I'm beginning to feel like my patience is wearing thin, finally.

The only thing is I know that cancelling won't be cathartic because Tesla couldn't care less whether I cancel or not.

I've just tried calling for an update, but the call back option seems to have vanished, and ten on hold was as much of the day I could devote to getting nothing done whilst listening to distortion and musak.

This is the most I've ever spend on a car, it *should* be an exciting process, but it's turning out to be eternally frustrating.

Knowing others are in the same boat helps, but I think we're being taken for fools.

Well I've just cancelled - bought the £28K M3P, collect it on Sunday. Took it for a drive and honestly it was exactly the same as the brand new Tesla demo car I drove, but faster. It is in really great condition and yes it is higher mileage than I would like, but it still feels like a great deal and it doesn't need anything doing. Point blank refusal from Tesla to get my £200 back, but honestly, it's worth it just to not have to deal with their nonsense any more. Even the guy who I cancelled with was spinning me nonsense about when it would be ready. It's actually a weight off my mind and knowing that I know exactly what I am collecting on Sunday and am already excited about it, not nervous, is a very pleasant change!

Tesla.jpeg

Well I've just cancelled - bought the £28K M3P, collect it on Sunday. Took it for a drive and honestly it was exactly the same as the brand new Tesla demo car I drove, but faster. It is in really great condition and yes it is higher mileage than I would like, but it still feels like a great deal and it doesn't need anything doing. Point blank refusal from Tesla to get my £200 back, but honestly, it's worth it just to not have to deal with their nonsense any more. Even the guy who I cancelled with was spinning me nonsense about when it would be ready. It's actually a weight off my mind and knowing that I know exactly what I am collecting on Sunday and am already excited about it, not nervous, is a very pleasant change!

View attachment 932604
@Matrel I’m pleased for you. That’s how it should be. Don’t take any nonsense about your deposit. You should be able to get it refunded. Many others have.

Reactions: Matrel
Out of curiosity: what would happen to a car that caused it to need a repaint? Its 3-4 years old, and only slightly above average mileage

(Given that someone decided that they a) wanted to take this car as a trade in and b) having done that, they weren't going to send it to auction)
So far, I have been told two reasons -

The delivery technical told me that the previous owner installed PPF Wrap on the car; removing PPF peeled the paint at several places, so as goodwill, they repainted the entire car.

Tesla support said the front bumper and bonnet had several stone chips, so they repainted all the panels.

Hearing different answers, I checked Vehicle history with a third party and Tesla, and no accident history is logged.

I don't know why there is so much disconnect within Telsa in the used car sales service org.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
How long do you have to return?
I spoke with Tesla support over the phone, informing them about my decision to exercise the right to return.
Return seems straightforward. I must inform them in writing and take the vehicle to the nearest Tesla location. They will deduct some money based on the miles I added to the odo and some deduction for cleaning the car.
I live in SW London, roughly 100 miles from Corby, and I did a few test runs with a technician adding 20-30 miles. I will get to know the exact number when I go there.

Refunds should take 14 to 21 days.

Reactions: Canonicals
It’s a tough one, obviously those having issues will always shout the loudest. But if you look on Facebook, Reddit and here I would say it’s ’poorer than usual for the majority of buyers’, especially those whose cars are at Corby.
I think bad user experience is isolated to used cars from Tesla.
I know many people from my work who bought new Y and 3, and they are full of praise. This points to the fact Telsa is focusing on new car sales to achieve their sales target, and used car turnover is managed on the side to keep trade-in vehicles moving.

Reactions: ringi
Those that are collecting today, super interested to understand how you got on!

I'm heading into the extended weekend rather frustrated. The work on my car was 'estimated' to be complete today however everyone I've spoken to has said they can't actually give me an estimate now. Feels like I'm back to square one.

Was promised a call back from someone in the service centre. Surprise surprise didn't happen. It's now been 44 days since ordering.

Those that are collecting today, super interested to understand how you got on!

I'm heading into the extended weekend rather frustrated. The work on my car was 'estimated' to be complete today however everyone I've spoken to has said they can't actually give me an estimate now. Feels like I'm back to square one.

Was promised a call back from someone in the service centre. Surprise surprise didn't happen. It's now been 44 days since ordering.
Exactly the same situation for me.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but the information in my app has changed slightly though. I now have a 'Manage' link under my VIN, which takes me to my account on the web and a new 'View' button that takes me to a new screen with a 'Start' button I can not press.

Does it mean anything, probably not.

Exactly the same situation for me.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but the information in my app has changed slightly though. I now have a 'Manage' link under my VIN, which takes me to my account on the web and a new 'View' button that takes me to a new screen with a 'Start' button I can not press.

Does it mean anything, probably not.
I was equally excited about this however like last time I think it was an app update! We seem to be on a very parallel journey here

• Funny
Reactions: redmamoth