Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: buying from Tesla used inventory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the road tax info for the car.. it has been off the road since January so a good part of 3-4months with Tesla doing nothing with it until someone buy the car! Apparently I am not the only one waiting this long.. they have more that been waiting similar time in the backlog of madness.

How can they be selling cars that is not ready.. and then get the customer to wait it out.

If I knew that buying a used Tesla would be this long then wouldn’t of bought from Tesla.. at the time there were many options for me to buy.

All my previous experience of buying used bmw normally they turn it around in days.. or a reasonable amount of time.. and I assumed Tesla be something similar!

How can they be selling cars that is not ready.. and then get the customer to wait it out.

The explanation given is that someone listed them, or sent out email, when they weren't ready.

Maybe.

If that happened in my organisation we'd apologise to customers, tell them it wasn't ready, and refund their deposit / whatever (or they could sit tight if they wanted to)

Tesla hasn't done that ...

My personal view is that they wanted to expand into 2nd hand market, and "got on with it" planning to sort out the chaos as they went along. I think this 'coz its what they have done, repeatedly, in the past.

Fell out with MobileEye on AP, released their own. Sold cars with "Tesla AP coming soon", it was at least a year before that happened.

Removed USS from cars "Software replacement coming in a month or two", that was a good 6 months (and probably isn't "as good" yet, although there may be some areas where it is better, which I doubt the people who are lumbered with it are evangelising about!)

Service. Moved from the conventional "Phone your local service centre and book the car in" to "Do it on the APP". Nothing was ready, it was chaos.

Vast majority of people are happy with their cars, when they get them, and they may then have short memories about the hassle. Tesla with have fixed the "2nd hand purchase delay" by the time you are ready to buy your next one, but they will very likely throw you a brand new curved ball that you weren't expecting.

Sorry.

Reactions: MattJ M
For sure they have made it clear.. we are the current batch they are refining the process against.. it is already getting better but at the cost of our bad experience.

They have put in a team at corby to work through the back log and apparently are getting more people in as the current 3 man team are getting over whelmed which is expected with the number of issues they have to deal and manage through.
Also was mentioned they will look into better communication and updates to customers as they have identified the short comings in that aspect for now.

Not sure if its gonna change anything.. as do not get any sense of proper direction from senior management.

it is already getting better but at the cost of our bad experience.

But, Tesla have behaved like this time and again. They will refine THIS process, to become slick ... but, based on numerous examples of past experience, next time they do some business-expansion they'll treat the next bunch of punters just as badly.

They have put in a team at corby

There's a guy working out of the back of a Model-X doing handover ... and hundreds, thousands?, of cars that have been parked for months

Management could have put in place a tooled-up solution - but they have specifically chosen to put the cart in front of the horse - same as previously.

Also was mentioned they will look into better communication and updates to customers as they have identified the short comings in that aspect for now

Sorry, but the same platitude has been given to thousands of people before you. Their call centre people just make stuff up. I have no idea why they don't say "dunno" (or actually find out and call you back), but there are so many historical examples where they have talked bull, made promises that they couldn't keep, said they would call back when they had no intention of doing any such thing ... so a reasonable place to start is to assume everything they tell you is made up on the spot, and filter from that what might actually be valid information.

However, I do expect that you will be very happy with the car - it would be a surprise if, at the end of all this, you are disappointed - but in a few instances that does happen (same for any other Vendor, and I don't think its any worse, in that regard)

Reactions: Durzel and MrBadger
Just got an email reply with no indication as to a delivery date. But confirmation that even though 2 + months minimum have disappeared off the warranty this will not be added on.

I’m a bit surprised I’m even buying this thing out of principal.
Yeah - I asked as well. Same outcome

Same disbelief in myself that I’m still prepared to wait (although did lose out on a nearly new private sale in NI which would have seen me cancel). As it is I’ve just been given a date for the second time.

I’ll only believe it when I’m driving the car away.

I'm coming up to 8 weeks. I've not chased for a fortnight as it doesn't appear to make much difference.

Still getting the "still drafting message." This would be more honest:

Screenshot 2023-05-08 091332.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Durzel and Matrel
If 2nd hard car dealer would buy Tesla's cars at auction for a reasonable amount compared to what they list them for on Autotrader then maybe Tesla would have put a lot more in auction.

It needs a way for Tesla to sell Modified cars "as seen", because many people would be happy to buy them with the modifications.

Amazing 💪got there in the end! I have my fingers crossed for next week
I
But, Tesla have behaved like this time and again. They will refine THIS process, to become slick ... but, based on numerous examples of past experience, next time they do some business-expansion they'll treat the next bunch of punters just as badly.

There's a guy working out of the back of a Model-X doing handover ... and hundreds, thousands?, of cars that have been parked for months

Management could have put in place a tooled-up solution - but they have specifically chosen to put the cart in front of the horse - same as previously.

Sorry, but the same platitude has been given to thousands of people before you. Their call centre people just make stuff up. I have no idea why they don't say "dunno" (or actually find out and call you back), but there are so many historical examples where they have talked bull, made promises that they couldn't keep, said they would call back when they had no intention of doing any such thing ... so a reasonable place to start is to assume everything they tell you is made up on the spot, and filter from that what might actually be valid information.

However, I do expect that you will be very happy with the car - it would be a surprise if, at the end of all this, you are disappointed - but in a few instances that does happen (same for any other Vendor, and I don't think its any worse, in that regard)

Good luck @redmamoth today! Let us know how you get on 🤞
Afternoon all. I just got back from picking my car up from Corby. Not the easiest place to get to via rail, I just went to Peterborough and got a £60 Uber from there. As others have mentioned, it's just carpark with 2 guys in a Model X.

Everything looks fine with my car, all alloys in in great condition with no curbing, no major marks on the paintwork that I was able to see in the conditions. Although, now I've got it home to Sunny Leeds, I can see some odd reflections on the black paint. I'm no paint expert so I don't know if this just Tesla's paint, or the way it's been polished, or if it's had a complete respray! I'll try capture a photo but it's pretty filthy after 150miles on the A1.

Inside, the car is immaculate, other than a few marks that easily wiped off. It had been cleaned inside, but clearly not recently. It had 70% charge on collection. I did have some error about the tire pressure monitoring system on the on the way home, which says it might clear after the next trip. We'll see.

Overall I'm happy with the car, it's nice to drive etc, i'm sure i'll enjoy it more once I get used to the software and give it a thorough clean myself.

I will not be changing my avatar in solidarity with the group, I hope you all get your cars soon!

Afternoon all. I just got back from picking my car up from Corby. Not the easiest place to get to via rail, I just went to Peterborough and got a £60 Uber from there. As others have mentioned, it's just carpark with 2 guys in a Model X.

Everything looks fine with my car, all alloys in in great condition with no curbing, no major marks on the paintwork that I was able to see in the conditions. Although, now I've got it home to Sunny Leeds, I can see some odd reflections on the black paint. I'm no paint expert so I don't know if this just Tesla's paint, or the way it's been polished, or if it's had a complete respray! I'll try capture a photo but it's pretty filthy after 150miles on the A1.

Inside, the car is immaculate, other than a few marks that easily wiped off. It had been cleaned inside, but clearly not recently. It had 70% charge on collection. I did have some error about the tire pressure monitoring system on the on the way home, which says it might clear after the next trip. We'll see.

Overall I'm happy with the car, it's nice to drive etc, i'm sure i'll enjoy it more once I get used to the software and give it a thorough clean myself.

I will not be changing my avatar in solidarity with the group, I hope you all get your cars soon!
I too have ordered a used Tesla; 2020 M3 26,000 miles for £26,490. I ordered on the 18th April and have watched similar cars rise in price on the website.
As I found out, the personnel at Tesla have little or no sway over delivery times. It’s all process driven as is the pricing.
I have joined this site to gauge the experience of others who have placed orders. Despite living in Leeds and there being a Tesla centre in the city, I still have to travel to Corby to take delivery of the car. When? It’s anyone’s guess. You can ask but don’t expect a cogent reply.
I have learnt two thing from you guys:
The first is patience and the second is to take the train to Peterborough from Leeds and then take a taxi to Corby.
My one offering is that “Bolt” is a £20 cheaper taxi ride than “Uber”

Reactions: Matrel

Wahey! Was it worth the wait??

Wahey! Was it worth the wait??
I'm undecided yet, however you look at it, 2 months is a hell of a long time to wait for a used vehicle!

It's interesting, they haven't formatted the USB memory stick so I've got a load of dashcam/sentry footage from the previous owner, including when they traded it in on...... 10th Dec 2022!!!!!! Then I've got a load of footage of the car getting loaded onto a transporter and making it's way to Corby with some other Tesla friends on a very rainy evening. I can see the whole life this car has had before it got to me! Currently searching for footage of any bumps or scrapes :D. Then I'll send the footage to Spielberg for "Cars 4".

I was told the 9th was the forecast day that mine was expected to leave the bodyshop, so I requested a callback for the first time in a couple of weeks earlier.

I friendly chap asked if I'd mind being on hold for a couple of mins whilst he found out what he could. About 10 mins later he was back with no information whatsoever. He just said "you have been assigned an advisor, and she'll call you back later today."

Guess what? She didn't.

Eight weeks tomorrow, and I still don't know where it is.

I'm undecided yet, however you look at it, 2 months is a hell of a long time to wait for a used vehicle!

It's interesting, they haven't formatted the USB memory stick so I've got a load of dashcam/sentry footage from the previous owner, including when they traded it in on...... 10th Dec 2022!!!!!! Then I've got a load of footage of the car getting loaded onto a transporter and making it's way to Corby with some other Tesla friends on a very rainy evening. I can see the whole life this car has had before it got to me! Currently searching for footage of any bumps or scrapes :D. Then I'll send the footage to Spielberg for "Cars 4".
Same here … Last recorded events show that car has been sold back to Tesla around Dec 10 2022. No footage after that date, but I cannot believe they forgot to format the drive. Previous owner (only one from new) was golf enthusiast, shopping in Waitrose …

Extracted video files contain JSON data with super precise geolocation.

If you ever plan to sell your Tesla in the future, unplug USB drive and perform full wipe with zeros not a simple quick format via car’s OS or PC.

Reactions: AndyFov
Thats exactly what I am so annoyed about.. cars gonna be with them for months in preparation but the actually of quality of service very questionable.. if they missed certain checks then what else did they possibly gloss over!

How can they sell car with previous owner footage still on car!

Update from my side.

The tire pressure monitoring system warning is not going away and after cleaning the car properly I've found an area where it looks like they have let a toddler perform a respray (photo attached, there are actual finger marks!). I've tried buffing it out with no luck, I'm no paint expert so don't know if this simply needs polishing out with the correct tools or needs another re-spray.

Either way, I'm booked in for my first appointment at Leeds on Monday for both issues.

IMG_0993.jpeg

Update from my side.

The tire pressure monitoring system warning is not going away and after cleaning the car properly I've found an area where it looks like they have let a toddler perform a respray (photo attached, there are actual finger marks!). I've tried buffing it out with no luck, I'm no paint expert so don't know if this simply needs polishing out with the correct tools or needs another re-spray.

Either way, I'm booked in for my first appointment at Leeds on Monday for both issues.

View attachment 936429
I wonder what the Tesla approach will be on rectifying these “features”.