Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK charging network - too many options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

in anticipation of pick-up next week, I’m looking at rapid charging points near my frequented locations.

It appears there’s a selection of networks; polar, instavolt, geiniepoint, etc!

Question is; how do you prepare yourself for use at any of them? Do you need a separate card/RFID app for each? Or is it best to just use contactless payment each time you need one?

Instavolt are contactless so no card needed- Polar have an app if you don't want to subscribe called Polar Instant. Get yourself a plugsurfing RFID just in case you come across a charger you don't have a card for as it will work with most networks, you pay a little more but it's better than being stranded.

I've put together a spreadsheet on this thread.

3rd party chargers 2020

Using contactless will rarely be the cheapest option, but it may be your only option, at some chargers.

It's worth looking on zap map along the routes you generally drive, and go from there.

The monthly subscription can be recovered and still be good value, if you're going to charge using the same network frequently. The spreadsheet will give you the cheapest option, if you enter some basic info on your mileage and charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: DocA
Hi Luke I missed this in the other thread, thank you for taking the time to put this together.

Looks like a combo of SC and Polar Plus (assuming locations work/are available) is a pretty good mix, am gravitating towards the OVO Energy offer with the 2 years free Polar membership. Monthly mileage varies between 1500 and 2500.

Base don the spreadsheet, some options look exceptionally bad value, wonder how long they can last as “purely convenience” options ?

I wouldn’t worry. It’s just pre-EV nerves. Try and work out where you’ll need to charge most often (if you even NEED to) and find the nearest suitable charger.

if you can charge at home, this will be much cheaper and more practical (charge to have enough for next day).
Remember you don’t need to charge to full every time, just enough charge to make the journeys you need. If you can get free charging between that (ie shopping) then bonus.
Also worth noting that you don’t always need rapids. If you’re somewhere for a few hours, then slow 7kW charger will be better option.

If you can provide a bit more details to your usual mileage, might be to help. Eg how far to work and back? Can you charge at home? Charge at work? Where do you park most, away from home/work?

but I do agree... There are too many options. Also too many companies trying to have a single solution too, which is creating more issues.

Certainly don’t worry about third-party charging.

I’ve had my Model 3 since last August, and done 12k miles. 95% of my charging has been done at home. I’ve used Superchargers a few times. The only third-party chargers I’ve used were in Scotland last year, on the ChargePlace Scotland network.

I suggest you take a look a places you’re likely to visit on Zap-Map or PlugShare, and see which network(s) you’re likely to need. Then download the app or send for (free) cards. At this stage I wouldn’t pay for any cards, or subscribe to any monthly payments.

Enjoy your new car!

• Informative
Reactions: stonecoldrmw