Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The good thing about the Tesla unit is it is hardwired into your board on its own circuit. Then it is set up to take the max your board can give it with its own breaker and RCD. Very safe and efficient.

If you are wanting a large charge you need a power plan with a big window of off peak rates. You can figure your charging rate as the available power less 15%.

See what your fellow UK'ers get for 'watts' per mile and convert to kWh per distance by dividing by 1000.

Milage is very use case dependent. Motorway speed sucks more power than round town. A/C and heat. Roofrack kills efficiency. There's quite a lot to it.

Relatively slow but especially steady wins big compared to stop start speed up slow down.

Hello,

Does anyone have a recomened charger to be fit at home alongside the best provider and tariff?

thanks!

Will

A good place to start

Thread 'UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations'
UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

As for charger recommendations, it depends on what you want it to do. Options also likely covered in above thread. For basic charging the installer is likely to have their preference.

Reactions: init6
I have a tethered PodPoint and Intelligent Octopus Go. Together they’re a winning combination in my book.

It works seamlessly with my MYLR and my wife’s Mini EV.

Have a read of the Octopus thread but be warned it’s rather long 🫣

I went for a tethered unit as experience of a non tethered unit we bought year’s previously was that the wet and dirty cables are a pain to store and lug about.
Tesla Frunk eliminates some of this but I still prefer the tethered one.
Plus the cable is much thinner and easier to use than the Type 2 you get with the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just switched from EOn to Octopus Energy but in order to sign up to the intelligen go tariff, i need a smart meter fit. Do most wall chargers work Octopus as a provider or are you limited to the brands they offer?