Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the time has come to move from Bulb to Octopus - I am on the Smart Tariff, so my meter will support it so...

- Has anyone switched from Bulb to Octopus, and how long did it take the smart meter to 'work' again?
- Has someone got a referral code they can DM me (who's turn is it!)
I did dm you - but probably missed the boat again.

I’m here! I was driving...:)

I’ve not switched from Bulb to Octopus, but my situation was similar - I switched from OVO to Octopus with my OVO smart meters.

I went live with Octopus on a Friday, and I was on the GO tariff with my smart meters on the Monday.
I had my meter installed by/through Octopus (SMETS2) on 23/09. I'm still waiting to be put on the Go tariff over a month later, despite applying the same day (you can't start on the Go tariff apparently).

They are "waiting for meter details from the engineer" since then, apparently. Not great.

I had my meter installed by/through Octopus (SMETS2) on 23/09. I'm still waiting to be put on the Go tariff over a month later, despite applying the same day (you can't start on the Go tariff apparently).

They are "waiting for meter details from the engineer" since then, apparently. Not great.
That’s very odd when Octopus arranged the meter installation!

I wonder if you’re a victim of the SMETS2 communication problems they’ve been having?

That’s very odd when Octopus arranged the meter installation!

I wonder if you’re a victim of the SMETS2 communication problems they’ve been having?

They didn't even attempt the version 2 for me ... installed the older version1 type with a promise of a future software upgrade. Anyway, it works and when I didn't hear for a few weeks I sent an email and went onto "Go" the very next day. I think as soon as you have the meter you can, in theory, go online an sign up for the Go tariff. My own meter was in place but when I went into my online account it wasn't sending in details so there's obviously an activation of some sort needed.

I would be inclined to ask them to escalate the problem, there is no reason for it to take this long.

The front line staff can be a bit slow to get things done sometimes, but I've had great service once I get past them.

In your case do you have the 'go' progress bar on your account?

If so where has it reached?

Are the smart meter readings coming through on your account?

When I switched to octopus and then tried to move to the Go tariff by emailing customer support they told me that they would be 'unable to offer me that tariff', which it transpired actually meant they didn't know what the Go tariff was. I was able to successfully switch the next day via finding a link buried in one of the Go support webpages.

I would be inclined to ask them to escalate the problem, there is no reason for it to take this long.

The front line staff can be a bit slow to get things done sometimes, but I've had great service once I get past them.

In your case do you have the 'go' progress bar on your account?

If so where has it reached?
The Go progress bar in my account is on “Switch to Octopus” (that is ticked). Next one is “Smart matter install” - currently unticked.

It’s been sat on “Switch to Octopus” in the progress since the 23/09.

I’ve emailed a few times but got the same reply back - “waiting on engineer to give us smart meter details”.

I even sent them photos of the meter and it’s identifying markings to no avail.

No smart meter readings are coming through on my account that I can see. The meter isn’t connected to anything yet though, only an isolator switch. The little device they give you just reads 0.0kWh, although the budget figure is going up with the standing charge.

It really doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for a stop time as well as a start time.

Looks like they've done that in the latest update :)

It’s now easier to have your car comfortable and ready to drive with Scheduled Departure. For any location (e.g. Home), plug in your car and select a time for when you want your car to be ready to drive. Once your specified time is set, the car will schedule charging to complete before peak electricity rates begin to reduce energy costs and ensure consistent regenerative braking and performance. it also automatically starts climate control so the cabin is comfortable at the set departure time.

To enable Scheduled Departure for the current location, go to Charging > Schedule/ Then select DEPART AT and set the departure time, choose whether you’d like Scheduled Departure to apply ALL WEEK or only on WEEKDAYS. If ALL WEEK is selected, you have the option to “Precondition Cabin on Weekdays Only” by selecting the checkbox.

It’s now easier to have your car comfortable and ready to drive with Scheduled Departure. For any location (e.g. Home), plug in your car and select a time for when you want your car to be ready to drive. Once your specified time is set, the car will schedule charging to complete before peak electricity rates begin to reduce energy costs and ensure consistent regenerative braking and performance. it also automatically starts climate control so the cabin is comfortable at the set departure time.

To enable Scheduled Departure for the current location, go to Charging > Schedule/ Then select DEPART AT and set the departure time, choose whether you’d like Scheduled Departure to apply ALL WEEK or only on WEEKDAYS. If ALL WEEK is selected, you have the option to “Precondition Cabin on Weekdays Only” by selecting the checkbox.
That's why Tesla a winner :)

Reactions: WannabeOwner

That sounds good, but only if you can use the new Scheduled Departure option alongside the Scheduled Charging start time. If it’s one or the other it’ll be no good for me.