Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have had about 3 third party referrals in the nearly 3 years I’ve been with Octopus. I just got lucky with timing of these two. I don’t think one a year is being too greedy! And not a single Tesla referral.

Happy to let others have a 5 minute head start to let you all safely park up and put your car on charge before replying ;)

Remember, don’t refer and drive even if you have AP on. Stay safe.

• Love
Reactions: Roy W.
I think I have had about 3 third party referrals in the nearly 3 years I’ve been with Octopus. I just got lucky with timing of these two. I don’t think one a year is being too greedy! And not a single Tesla referral.

Happy to let others have a 5 minute head start to let you all safely park up and put your car on charge before replying ;)

Remember, don’t refer and drive even if you have AP on. Stay safe.
I’m only kidding. Lucky you, I say :)

I’m not holding my breath for a Tesla referral, they seem to be mostly the domain of the vloggers on YouTube. I used a referral when I ordered in May - from a YouTube channel - but I don’t have the miles on my account, and Tesla are saying I didn’t apply the referral “correctly”. They’re “investigating”, but I’m not holding my breath for that either... :(

Reactions: MrBadger
FWIW my migration from Ovo to Octopus was very smooth. Once they'd established that the Secure smart meter (which Ovo had installed in March 2018) was compatible, everything happened exactly when they said it would, and I found their customer service to be very fast and helpful.

Reactions: drewpost
I’m only kidding. Lucky you, I say :)

I’m not holding my breath for a Tesla referral, they seem to be mostly the domain of the vloggers on YouTube. I used a referral when I ordered in May - from a YouTube channel - but I don’t have the miles on my account, and Tesla are saying I didn’t apply the referral “correctly”. They’re “investigating”, but I’m not holding my breath for that either... :(
I did the same - used a Youtube (i1 Tesla) referral code but i did get my 5k miles :), hope you do too and get it sorted!

@VanillaAir_UK will get his 2 free roadsters a Model Y and all powered by a life time supply of free electricity from octopus Energy at this rate!

• Love
FWIW my migration from Ovo to Octopus was very smooth. Once they'd established that the Secure smart meter (which Ovo had installed in March 2018) was compatible, everything happened exactly when they said it would, and I found their customer service to be very fast and helpful.

Good to hear, I have a meter installed by First Utility (now Shell Energy) which is secure branded and therefore I think compatible so I'm hoping the switch to be quick and easy :)

Now to get the mrs to use the dishwasher and washing machine at night too...

Update on my quest for a smart meter... :)

I cancelled the migration out from Octopus after a much more informative exchange of emails with 2nd tier customer support.

It was suggested that I should receive an invite to book an appointment by the end of October, not guaranteed of course, but I've always been willing to be reasonable as long as there was some information flowing.

I actually got the invite today and my appointment is booked for October 7th.

We have good mobile reception at the meter cupboard on the outside of the house so I'm hopeful that there will be no issues with a SMETS2 install.

I'll update again after October 7th ...

Reactions: Jellus and Roy W.
After my number crunching earlier in this thread I decided to make the switch to Octopus. Not just because the numbers work out but also because they seem very focused on renewables and carbon neutral - all of their electricity is supplied via renewable sources and the SuperGreen tariff I selected for gas is carbon neutral via their carbon offset program.

So currently what companies are the best contenders? Ovo. Bulb and octupus? I'm on eon and getting away with 50 quid a month gas and electric 14p a unit and 23 I think a day.
I went with Octopus. Their GO tariff gives you leccy at 5p a unit for 4 hours - 0030-0430 every day. Suggest you compare their unit cost & standing charge to your current provider. For me they were cheaper on all three, gas, leccy and standing.

You do need a smart meter, either from them or a Secure branded one will work if you already have that.

Octopus also do a referral scheme, we both get £50 credit when you sign up. DM me if you want my code.

I went with Octopus. Their GO tariff gives you leccy at 5p a unit for 4 hours - 0030-0430 every day. Suggest you compare their unit cost & standing charge to your current provider. For me they were cheaper on all three, gas, leccy and standing.

You do need a smart meter, either from them or a Secure branded one will work if you already have that.

Octopus also do a referral scheme, we both get £50 credit when you sign up. DM me if you want my code.
Will do
but that's only going to cover my exit charges.. thankfully! so you win haha