Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Milage Claims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, if anyone can help id be hugely grateful. I have recently picked up my model 3 (yay). It is my private car owned by me, and I do some business milage. Im the first at my company to have an EV and they dont no what to do.

I am aware i am entitled to 45p per mile but after discussion earlier, work seem only willing to pay 8p per mile (I think they are getting confused with the rate for company owned cars) - although they are also happy to pay supercharger costs with receipts if I deduct this milage from the rest of the claim.

I have a home charger and will always leave for trips on a full battery but when i go on a work trip, due to distance il need to supercharge on way down and up.

Is there a way of me being able to expense the supercharger costs immediately and then put in milage claims on the rest? Im thinking it would get quite complicated as Id be in effect receiving two rates.

Am I better just recording milage, accepting the 8p per mile rate from employer and claiming 37p back per mile from HMRC? I dont usually complete a tax return but it looks relatively simple if im not claiming above £2500.

I’d have them clarify why they will pay an owner of a gas vehicle 45p per mile, but you as an EV owner would only get 8p per mile. That rate doesn’t even cover fuel (Supercharger) rates any more.

When I drove my vehicle on a work trip, I just turned in 1,500 miles on the expense statement. No airline service of car rental expenses necessary. They never asked or cared what model vehicle I was driving. They would pay the same rate if I was driving a beater Toyota Prius or something less efficient (more costly) like a pickup or Corvette.

If they aren’t even going to cover your electricity costs, rent a car that gets terrible gas mileage and have them pay for all those expenses.

In the US anyway. Travel expense is a defined value that has no bearing on model, mpg, or region. The value is a full use for mileage, wear and tear and depreciation. The only time this would change is if They own the vehicle which in that case (say Tesla) I would assign the company charge card to that vehicle so charge costs are assigned to the company. For home charging, the app does define Supercharger vs home charge costs. You could snap a screen capture on that