Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60k for a car that Tesla describe as "legacy"? Seems a bit of a rubbish deal

Any other Tesla wouldn't have even being able to start out road trip with 6 people let alone do it as well as any combustion car. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the older S/X cars.

I ended up chatting to a new Swiss X owner yesterday. Expensive but you can see where the money has gone, honestly despite what I have said before, a LHD X may be an option to replace our RHD X when the time comes.

If I can survive fine with RHD on tiny Italian mountain passes, LHD in the UK will be fine. But a new X will have to wait till the house get done, luckily our current X will be going for a while yet. 70k in, and a it essentially drives 'as new'.

Our current X may even last till our daughter hits teenage yes........LHD Roadster might be out by than?? :)

Last edited:
Any other Tesla wouldn't have even being able to start out road trip with 6 people let alone do it as well as any combustion car. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the older S/X cars.
If I needed a car to do that I'd be looking at a new Kia EV9 rather than a legacy Model X

If anyone is seriously considering a LHD car then I'm afraid you're beyond help

Indefinitely for the bits that count.

Sorry to hear that. Would be interested to hear more. Which DU was it?
Front DU. Made a clonk, clonk noise which increased in frequency with speed. Left turns, noise went away completely. Right turns, noise got much worse, to the point that nearing full lock it sounded like someone striking high tensile wire with an iron spar.

I think initially the workshop guys thought I was imagining it all, having taken the car on a brief test run which included hoofing it in a straight line. It was only on their return leg, looping back to the SC via roundabout, that the problem became very apparent.

Nothing wrong with the driveshafts which was my biggest fear (in that if the driveshafts go again it'll honestly be sold inside a week - I cannot keep doing that). But no, a dyno run told them the drive unit was buggered.

Awaiting loan car to be reminded just how incredibly boring and appliance-like the Model 3 is in comparison.

Serious question: would this encourage you to keep or move on..?

If I can survive fine with RHD on tiny Italian mountain passes, LHD in the UK will be fine.

I'm tending to that thought too.

will have to wait till the house get done,

Ermm ... you've been saying that a while. My advice, from advancing years, is for anyone doing a house project - do it sooner/younger than you planned to, and hurry up with getting it done ... so you have more years to enjoy it. That advice is worth what you paid for it!!

Serious question: would this encourage you keep or move on?

I reckon you've been unlucky ... but so you might again - whether this brand or another. Sorry, not much comfort.

Front DU. Made a clonk, clonk noise which increased in frequency with speed. Left turns, noise went away completely. Right turns, noise got much worse, to the point that nearing full lock it sounded like someone striking high tensile wire with an iron spar.

I think initially the workshop guys thought I was imagining it all, having taken the car on a brief test run which included hoofing it in a straight line. It was only on their return leg, looping back to the SC via roundabout, that the problem became very apparent.

Nothing wrong with the driveshafts which was my biggest fear (in that if the driveshafts go again it'll honestly be sold inside a week - I cannot keep doing that). But no, a dyno run told them the drive unit was buggered.

Awaiting loan car to be reminded just how incredibly boring and appliance-like the Model 3 is in comparison.

Serious question: would this encourage you to keep or move on..?
Well interestingly that’s the mass market (3/Y) permanent magnet one - so hopefully really a rare occurrence. It’s my rear DU unique to the Raven performance that I would be more worried about.

Reactions: Leytonstone
IMG_0254.jpeg

Got my tearjerkingly dull Model 3 LR and a long look over this handsome fellow. Was offered a test drive but honestly, cba.

Really nice looking thing though. Kind of like looking at my car six months into a strict morning gym routine. Would have jumped eagerly at an RHD one and then immediately regretted it, going by all the problems that owners are reporting. Ugh.

Ermm ... you've been saying that a while. My advice, from advancing years, is for anyone doing a house project - do it sooner/younger than you planned to, and hurry up with getting it done ... so you have more years to enjoy it. That advice is worth what you paid for it!!.

Sadly I have the building skills of a sloth, but the builder tells me we'll have a roof over our heads by the end of August. A Plaid Model X could have been paid for outright already but there is much more to be done (at least 3 Plaid Xs I suspect once all done!).

Luckily there's absolutely nothing wrong with our 'legacy' X, in the last 48hrs it's taken us over the 2nd highest moutain pass in Europe, and literally/above the heavens at the Rhone Glacier/Furka pass.....swap our X for a Kia EV9, not unless he'll freezes over:).

53025368084_d38406773e_c_d.jpg

53067702797_713f6588b6_c_d.jpg

53067698222_2105f6c112_c_d.jpg

is there a house still in there somewhere @gangzoom ? :p

looks like it'll be mega when its done. Also assume 'roof over your head' means literally roof - don't expect windows or any internals :D

Would love to get something done like that and we're just starting to get a head of steam on savings, but we're so obsessed now with clearing down the mortgage and being mortgage free, we'd have to push that out to extend.

I'm tending to that thought too.

Ermm ... you've been saying that a while. My advice, from advancing years, is for anyone doing a house project - do it sooner/younger than you planned to, and hurry up with getting it done ... so you have more years to enjoy it. That advice is worth what you paid for it!!

I reckon you've been unlucky ... but so you might again - whether this brand or another. Sorry, not much comfort.
what? you are not using barriers or drive through in those italian mountains :D