Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Plaid against my better judgment.

I regret doing so!

The car was awesome from power, interior quality (not sure why people bash it so much), comfort/noise but on the noise front I was expecting more road noise suppression, interior space and that massive boot. It also looked awesome, sleek, and I prefer the look over that of a CT Taycan, the other car I am considering.

In terms of handling, I had little chance to throw it around.

It had the yoke and found it easy but I’d prefer a wheel as you don’t get the same control/connection with the car.

Driving LHD wasn’t a problem on the Tesla chosen route and it felt natural to me but there were no stress conditions (overtaking, winding B-roads, etc), but looking across the passenger to navigate a roundabout seemed “wrong”.

Can I live with it, I’d say “yes”.

Do I want to live with it? On the fence. They are definitely selling and every time I see one in stock I hover over the “buy” button, so I am genuinely torn as I said “no f-ing way” when they first announced the RHD cancellation.
I would buy one but it would have to be on 0% or decent finance over a long period with a Very good gfv just in case they brought a RHD one out. With that in mind, this will probably be the second vehicle in over 60 that I will go and see/test drive and not bought!

Not in my case. I’ll resist as just don’t think I can deal with LHD. Just want to drive one as it’s effectively a hyper car in terms of performance. Driven some fast cars but nothing that’s going to be close to this.

It had incredible acceleration. Tesla set the limiter to 80-ish MPH which I ‘accidentally’ hit in zero time (it felt like that, just remember feeling the wheels spinning throughout).

For the money, nothing beats it. It is a beast!

Would love to see Rivian come to the UK with RHD. Seeing as Tesla has abandoned us with the higher end models now. In fact lots of new and interesting EV’s that we are missing out on due to RHD which is disappointing.
I wouldn't say the RHD high end Teslas are gone permanently. It's not just the UK that drives on the left. Japan, India, South Africa, Australia and Indonesia among others also do so and that's a hefty chunk of population. Although manufacturing a limited edition RHD car disrupts how LHD assembly lines operate, one additional confounding factor is the present shortage of batteries and battery materials. For every 6 Tesla Model S and X battery packs you could make roughly10 Model 3 RWD battery packs. It's not a great savings, but it is something.

it would have to be on 0% or decent finance over a long period with a Very good gfv just in case they brought a RHD one out

My thought was to go for short finance in expectation of RHD so I could chop it in ... and if RHD never came then buy it out of finance at the end / whatever.

Normally I would pay cash for a depreciating asset like car, but I assume that resale value of LHD will be low (or need to export to continent), so I'd prefer that is finance company's problem ...

... also possible that all this prevaricating will stretch until the RHD model appears :)

I've been looking forwards to MS Plaid ... my current MS is 3 years old - its fine, no need to change, except that I've been looking forward to Plaid ...

Reactions: Js1977
I wouldn't say the RHD high end Teslas are gone permanently. It's not just the UK that drives on the left. Japan, India, South Africa, Australia and Indonesia among others also do so and that's a hefty chunk of population. Although manufacturing a limited edition RHD car disrupts how LHD assembly lines operate, one additional confounding factor is the present shortage of batteries and battery materials. For every 6 Tesla Model S and X battery packs you could make roughly10 Model 3 RWD battery packs. It's not a great savings, but it is something.
Maybe not but it's been about 3 years they've not sold a RHD model and now they are shifting LHD in the UK so feels like it won't be anytime soon.

I actually think it won't come at all in the current Model S generation. Maybe after the next big refresh like they did and the Model 3 is getting soon with Highland. Or maybe never if they cannot improve the amount of them they are selling.

My gut feeling is RHD won't come at least until they do the next Model S refresh or they really fix demand for the vehicle. The business case for it just probably isn't stacking up sadly.

I agree. No way would they offer the LHD if they had future plans to reintroduce the Model S in RHD form. Look at roadster reservations. They’ve not refunded them and are still taking deposits and that car is still years away, so Tesla have no issues in hoarding deposits for cars that they plan to release.

A tri-motor variant, maybe Plaid, is more likely to come to the performance models of the refresh 3/Y.

I have an opportunity to lease a Taycan through salary sacrifice. Had it not been for that option I would have gone for the Plaid given the test drive.

I’m still undecided but I’m in no hurry so I can wait. Over the next 2-3 months Tesla (model 3) and Porsche (Taycan) are set to announce their refreshed models so I’ll see what they offer.

No way would they offer the LHD if they had future plans to reintroduce the Model S in RHD form

My view is that is has enabled them to refund all reservation deposits ... which were quite a lot below what the price has become, during the wait, what with unpredicted double-digit inflation ... but that will lose them some customers - those who were waiting and will now go to Taycan etc.

Look at roadster reservations. They’ve not refunded them and are still taking deposits and that car is still years away

Fair point. I am assuming far fewer Roadster reservations than RHD MS / MX (with no data to go on though ...). And perhaps some/many? of those have got bored of waiting. Those with £250K lying around might have wanted to move it to "something else"

I’m still undecided but I’m in no hurry so I can wait

I'm in the wait-and-see camp too (for some specific change-car-timing-issues)

My view is that is has enabled them to refund all reservation deposits ... which were quite a lot below what the price has become, during the wait, what with unpredicted double-digit inflation ... but that will lose them some customers - those who were waiting and will now go to Taycan etc.

On the deposit, I still have my old RHD reservation at the lower price (the first price before the increase). I told Tesla to hold on refunding my deposit. That way if I decide to go for it, I benefit from a 4/5k discount on the quoted price.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I test drove a Plaid against my better judgment.

I regret doing so!

The car was awesome from power, interior quality (not sure why people bash it so much), comfort/noise but on the noise front I was expecting more road noise suppression, interior space and that massive boot. It also looked awesome, sleek, and I prefer the look over that of a CT Taycan, the other car I am considering.

In terms of handling, I had little chance to throw it around.

It had the yoke and found it easy but I’d prefer a wheel as you don’t get the same control/connection with the car.

Driving LHD wasn’t a problem on the Tesla chosen route and it felt natural to me but there were no stress conditions (overtaking, winding B-roads, etc), but looking across the passenger to navigate a roundabout seemed “wrong”.

Can I live with it, I’d say “yes”.

Do I want to live with it? On the fence. They are definitely selling and every time I see one in stock I hover over the “buy” button, so I am genuinely torn as I said “no f-ing way” when they first announced the RHD cancellation.
What do you currently drive, if I may ask? I’m curious how the Plaid “feels” compared to a Raven performance in the real world for short bursts. And how the interior compares.

Anyway, fill find out soon enough in my drive later this weekend.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
What do you currently drive, if I may ask? I’m curious how the Plaid “feels” compared to a Raven performance in the real world for short bursts. And how the interior compares.

Anyway, fill find out soon enough in my drive later this weekend.

My compare point is on a different, much lower performance level, a Golf R and Model Y, so entirely different cars.

Coming from a Raven performance I expect you may be less impressed!

Maybe not but it's been about 3 years they've not sold a RHD model and now they are shifting LHD in the UK so feels like it won't be anytime soon.

I actually think it won't come at all in the current Model S generation. Maybe after the next big refresh like they did and the Model 3 is getting soon with Highland. Or maybe never if they cannot improve the amount of them they are selling.
I think that the future of RHD Teslas depends on how the market develops in India and Indonesia.