Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even today that leg from Calais to Senlis is a reasonable hop (150 miles) and in a small-battery-X ABRP plans for a 90% charge, at Calais, to arrive with 10% - unless you are going to drive like a turtle :)

ABRP is probably the cause of all range anxiety :).

I just leave to the car, there are so MANY SCs in Europe now its mad. In 75k of owing our small battery X, I can count one hand (twice) when I wished I hadn't gone cheap and ordered the long range version of the car!

Infact even a 60kWh X I recon could do all the road trips we done to Norway, Scotland, France etc with no issue. Charging infrastructure is making battery size almost irrelevant for most people.

53045309330_284c31af45_c_d.jpg

Charging infrastructure is making battery size almost irrelevant for most people.
I would say yes in the Tesla-ecosphere.

Outside the Tesla-sphere ultra fast trip charging is improving. Definitely on the continent huge strides have been made especially in the last 1 to 2 years. The UK still has some way to go.

Do you drive any other EVs other than the X / non-Tesla?

The part I am interested for comparison is all the minor bits. Profile saving, all the options that are supported (such as whether you want the car to navigate to work each time you get in) probably a poor example, but I think all those fiddly-bits stack up. I have no idea how the competition compares, but I can imagine losing a whole bunch of fiddly-bits would be an annoyance (even if the lights and wipers was fixed!)

Maybe I've just got too used to it and it feels comfortable - which must be what the marketeers want
I had profiles on BMWs years ago that remembered the seat positions although they never really kicked it on to some of the other bits that Tesla do, or if they did, I didn’t really notice because generally I always drove my car and my wife always drove hers, and if we did drive the others car we’d use their keys and get their profile. So the phone key is good for that, although I think that’s not unique anymore.

I get what you say about the little touches, but our 4 year old BMW does make suggestions on where to drive to, and it does a lot more by way of information when using sat nav (we had an query once about extreme weather on our route, I think Tesla do that now too but it’s been there on other cars). I guess there’s a lot of little features in all the cars, and we cable things differently, but I wouldn’t trade being able to select a destination from my diary over reliable wipers or truly adaptive headlights

Came across this when charging on the Swiss/French boarder today. Porsche gets some stick for ‘evolving’ the 911 design, but Tesla are just lazy…..Unless someone told you what to look for, I suspect most people cannot tell these two cars were built some 6-7 years apart, and one has done nearly 70K mile versus I suspect barely 1K in the other.

The interior did look very nice, but honestly, even if Tesla did a new RHD X, you need your head checking to pay £60-70K+ to swap from a old S/X into a new one.

20230715_153712_Original.jpeg

From what I've seen solely in videos, the Eletre interface seems slick. Too early to be up to Tesla's quality if features but they brought in outside help so not sure how long they've really been working on it. Frankly though I think it'll do all the basics just fine and they'll hopefully expand on it quickly.

I'm interested to see how the self driving works. That's got two Nvidia Drive chips to run it and a ton of sensors including Lidar. Not so much US FSD Beta as we don't get that in UK but wonder if it'll be able to beat out Tesla's Autopilot in the UK. I'm thinking just nice crusing on motorways, auto lane changing and a lack of phantom braking. It's got the eye tracking also for hands off when approved. Also might be a good test to see if Eldon's claim of sensor fusion being too hard is right or wrong.

I want to test drive one but watching all the videos on it recently... I wants it 😅

Reactions: gangzoom
I'm quite happy with same, and marginally-improved. Changing to something else normally means that the things that made me change are indeed solved, but a whole bunch of new niggles then become apparent - and rarely am I in a better place. Change-for-change-sake doesn't suit me.

Reactions: Adopado
Life is too short to waste, its 100% too short to waste £££££ on buying essentially the same one after nearly a decade of owning one. Get something different, and leave the rest to nestolgia :).
Not sure what you mean here. I’m talking about an Eletre. No ones owned one for a decade. I guess you mean the Model S and X? I’ve never owned one of them either to be honest. I did at one point consider a P100D Model S which was before the massive price drop on those. I went for a BMW M760Li however which was a similar list price but far cheaper with the deal I got. A far better all round car for the money.

I think maybe other than the range on the Eletre which is going to be shorter than an X if you get the R variant it’s a good all round package. Missing out on Superchargers unless they open them up but on a 350 Rapid it looks to charge faster than any Tesla also. It has a higher quality cabin, rear wheel steer, active anti roll bars, probably better audio system, massage seats, CarPlay and Android Auto (at some point), comfortable ride, etc. Oh and an active spoiler, which pleases the inner child in me.

As for too short to waste money on. I guess it depends on your financial situation. However you also only live once so cannot take your pots of gold with you ;) My wife’s view is the kids need to work and make their own money, she’d give it all to a cat shelter or something than them. Thankfully I’m not quite as mean :)

Don’t take this as I’m loaded. Just do OK as I guess most in a position to buy a Model S / X new would be.

From what I've seen solely in videos, the Eletre interface seems slick. Too early to be up to Tesla's quality if features but they brought in outside help so not sure how long they've really been working on it. Frankly though I think it'll do all the basics just fine and they'll hopefully expand on it quickly.

I'm interested to see how the self driving works. That's got two Nvidia Drive chips to run it and a ton of sensors including Lidar. Not so much US FSD Beta as we don't get that in UK but wonder if it'll be able to beat out Tesla's Autopilot in the UK. I'm thinking just nice crusing on motorways, auto lane changing and a lack of phantom braking. It's got the eye tracking also for hands off when approved. Also might be a good test to see if Eldon's claim of sensor fusion being too hard is right or wrong.

I want to test drive one but watching all the videos on it recently... I wants it 😅
Sadly for me all this “stuff” is useless decoration for a car without satisfactory range for my “destination charging only” imperative. Let’s see how the Eletre does in real world testing.

The MS may look the same (which to me is not bad thing) but a 2020 is a completely different car to drive and own than my previous 2017 and 2014 (and a Plaid of the chart in that regard). I’d rather that - than an extensive style redesign with incremental improvements in the drivetrain like is so often the case with legacy marques.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Understood, need to see what it comes out with though the Base and S have a high WLTP range if you are prepared to go with 20 inch wheels. So I think it’ll be reasonable if still not quite to Tesla levels.

If you watch one of Bornjne’s videos he speaks to Lotus and they mention that they've not gone for compete efficiency, some choices are to make it better to drive. Still I think they'll have a balance and hopefully be acceptable.

Reactions: gangzoom
The part I am interested for comparison is all the minor bits. Profile saving, all the options that are supported (such as whether you want the car to navigate to work each time you get in) probably a poor example, but I think all those fiddly-bits stack up. I have no idea how the competition compares, but I can imagine losing a whole bunch of fiddly-bits would be an annoyance (even if the lights and wipers was fixed!)

Maybe I've just got too used to it and it feels comfortable - which must be what the marketeers want
competitors do it easy:
- BMW has absolutely same system as Tesla. Once you have your Sppotify premium - you log in..
But additionally them and others have Android auto/Apple CarPlay and all you need - just connect phone via cable or wifi and you have all your Spotify, maps and so on available

ffs. honestly, Autopilot compared to i.e. BMWs driver Assistant is like 4 years behind. It works but AP is, currently, AVERAGE at best

well lotus has not got "autopilot" enabled.

I comment only on the fact that you think autopilot is good. it is not. it is bearable.
i.e. standard BMWs driver assistant behaves exactly same as AP. including eye tracking. But difference is, that the steering wheel responds to touch (you do not need to apply torque) and once you change the lane it re-enables by default. it also accelerates once your are stuck behind slower vehicle and start overtake. so you do not behave like bellend who jumps into faster lane at 60 mph...