Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just put a deposit on an Eletre R today, I drove a S last weekend and was blown away. I also tried a BMW iX M60 which just isn't in the same league to be honest despite being in the same price range. It's not as quick as a Model S Plaid of course, nor as efficient or has the great Supercharger network but otherwise feels like a better car in all other ways. Highly recommend you pop out and get a test drive of one, just don't blame me if you then end up also ordering one :)

I thought about waiting for a Model 3 Ludicrous and would have saved a lot of money but don't see the point in having 2 x Model 3's. It also means we'll have 2 EV's so might suffer on longer trips but as they are rare, I'm just going to work it out and suck it up.

I’m in the same boat. Looking to arrange a test drive.

Also waiting on the new model 3 performance.

Different cars though I am intrigued about handling. I read it handles like a well sorted sports car, similar to the Taycan, impressive if true.

I’m also curious to see how often Lotus update their software, as Geely/Lotus are not known for their software engineering capabilities.

The length of the car is a worry though, it is f-ing big, barely fits in the garage which maybe a deal-breaker..

I’m in the same boat. Looking to arrange a test drive.

Also waiting on the new model 3 performance.

Different cars though I am intrigued about handling. I read it handles like a well sorted sports car, similar to the Taycan, impressive if true.

I’m also curious to see how often Lotus update their software, as Geely/Lotus are not known for their software engineering capabilities.

The length of the car is a worry though, it is f-ing big, barely fits in the garage which maybe a deal-breaker..
The handling was extremely surprising considering its weight and size. I think that’ll impress you.

Yes the software updates could be a concern but they’ve a third party helping them with it and it’s pretty complete already. Also not quite had my wife’s Model 3 for a year but in that year it’s had vision parking added to fill in missing functionality, some scroll wheel changes and honestly not much else I can think of. I was actually expecting more from Tesla but the rate of change is pretty slow if you ask me. My Land Rover doesn’t get as many updates but in terms of functionality changes, seems similar.

Yes completely different to a Model 3. It feels smaller than it is driving it for the most part but cannot escape that it’s big. I’m used to big cars, had a long wheel base 7 series before my Discovery 5. I would say if you ever need to use some of the tighter multi story car parks in this country it might not be wise or at least get it with the rear wheel steering.

It’s got a very comfortable ride, more so than my Discovery 5 which is way beyond a spring suspension Tesla. It’s quiet, refined and felt like it was extremely well put together.

A lot more money but you do get what you pay for in this world. I still think it’s a bit of a bargain considering the whole package though.

One thing I do wonder but is if they’ve bumped the final payment number up on the PCP due to high interest rates if it’s it accurate. It’s listed on my R to still be worth £75k on a £135k car (As I spec it) after 4 years. My £135k M760Li was worth like £42k after 4 years estimated on the PCP but then it was a V12 which loses a ton of value. Still it feels pretty high but also good I guess as monthly payments are then much more reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ariharry
Although I never owned one, years ago I took a test drive in an Evora and it's one of those cars whose first 100 yards still sticks in my mind. I thought of it when you mentioned you'd bought the Eletre. Despite feeling like a nailed down sports car the Evora had/has the most incredible ride, something the company get *just so right* they end up consulting on it all the time via Lotus Engineering.

Yes I’ve seen people talking about that in an Eletre Facebook group but from what I can see they are flowing pretty quickly. The nice chap in Colchester suggested it would be next summer, Lotus called me last week and suggested more like late Q1. Either way I’m fine with it but not a crazy long delay.

You had a test drive yet?
No. I should probably get a test drive in 😂 Its our Model X long term replacement. Think its due at some point in Q1, but very wooly.

No. I should probably get a test drive in 😂 Its our Model X long term replacement. Think its due at some point in Q1, but very wooly.
The only concern I really have is on the real world range. It’s got 275 section tyres up front and massive 315 at the rear. They aren’t some EV low rolling resistance either. I suspect while its a pretty big battery, it’ll suffer a bit from that.

I test drove the Eletre last week and enjoyed it very much. The range is nowhere near what I get in my Raven S but in truth these days I hardly ever go beyond the range, and it's becoming less of a problem even when I do. A key test was the golf bag and trolley - they went in without dropping the seats so that's a box ticked.

It's not as quick off the line but plenty fast enough and extremely well put together. It's definately staying on my shortlist for next Sept when the MS goes back.

Reactions: Sean.
I have nor the time, interest, or money to be testing any new cars at the moment, but a surprisingly moment of sun in an otherwise drenched road trip this weekend did bring up what to do when the times comes to replace the X.

For a car that's ancient by new EV standards its still pretty remarkable how functional our small battery X remains, tackling our longest regular trip without issues even with 71k miles on the battery.

A £12k new battery pack is my preferred solution to a new X. As it happens the stairs my wife is looking at for the house renovation is coming out at a similar price.....In comparison a new battery pack from Tesla versus bits of wood+metal (it's only a 2.8 meter rise FFS), the battery pack seems like a 'bargain' :).

53279575888_77e136a9c8_k_d.jpg

53279640414_5388cd9140_c_d.jpg

I test drove the Eletre last week and enjoyed it very much. The range is nowhere near what I get in my Raven S but in truth these days I hardly ever go beyond the range, and it's becoming less of a problem even when I do. A key test was the golf bag and trolley - they went in without dropping the seats so that's a box ticked.

It's not as quick off the line but plenty fast enough and extremely well put together. It's definately staying on my shortlist for next Sept when the MS goes back.
The lazy launch is apparently by design to not be quite as savage off the line as it feels nicer, is less stress on the components and gives it a more ICE kind of feeling of power building. On the R apparently if you put it into Track mode then it’ll do the normal EV savagery.

Tesla does have the efficiency advantage. Not sure Lotus were fully going for this or at least that’s what they said in TeslaBjornes video when speaking to them on this.

Got email today to lock in my configuration for delivery. That’s extremely quick, wasn’t expecting that for a few months based on delivery estimates they told me. Wondering if I’ll end up getting it sooner.

Last edited:
The lazy launch is apparently by design to not be quite as savage off the line as it feels nicer, is less stress on the components and gives it a more ICE kind of feeling of power building. On the R apparently if you put it into Track mode then it’ll do the normal EV savagery.

Tesla does have the efficiency advantage. Not sure Lotus were fully going for this or at least that’s what they said in TeslaBjornes video when speaking to them on this.

Got email today to lock in my configuration for delivery. That’s extremely quick, wasn’t expecting that for a few months based on delivery estimates they told me. Wondering if I’ll end up getting it sooner.
When I first put my deposit down in April - they 'lost' me on their system, and when I chased up in June they apologised and said no, sorry but you wont be getting a car from the first batch of 2000 cars which arrived in late summer. The next batch of cars is now expected in Q1 possibly early Q2 next year.

My order spec. was locked in on 15 September, I called today to see if anything had moved along, but it's still late Q1 next year according to the chap on the phone. I've gone for an Eletre R in Galloway Green, ceramic brakes, side cameras and intelligent glass roof.

I've seen and sat in them them several times in the flesh, most recently at their new showroom in Mayfair where I spent a solid hour or two finalising the spec before the order locked.

I've just booked a test drive from Colchester next week, so that should be rather good.

I have nor the time, interest, or money to be testing any new cars at the moment, but a surprisingly moment of sun in an otherwise drenched road trip this weekend did bring up what to do when the times comes to replace the X.

For a car that's ancient by new EV standards its still pretty remarkable how functional our small battery X remains, tackling our longest regular trip without issues even with 71k miles on the battery.

A £12k new battery pack is my preferred solution to a new X. As it happens the stairs my wife is looking at for the house renovation is coming out at a similar price.....In comparison a new battery pack from Tesla versus bits of wood+metal (it's only a 2.8 meter rise FFS), the battery pack seems like a 'bargain' :).

53279575888_77e136a9c8_k_d.jpg

53279640414_5388cd9140_c_d.jpg
Ah Gangzoom my former brother from another X 😂 I gethcha totally, especially when it comes to sinking dough into property etc that will benefit you and yours for years come. Good your priorities are totally right.

My view is cars (and for my sins bikes) are both a utility and an enjoyment, but I alway know they'll cost me serious money one way or another. At the end of the day as my old mate would say YOLO.

{btw - impressively low watts usage, my long term was always hovering around 390 to 400 Wh mark. In summer it used to average around 340 and I thought that was marvellous]

When I first put my deposit down in April - they 'lost' me on their system, and when I chased up in June they apologised and said no, sorry but you wont be getting a car from the first batch of 2000 cars which arrived in late summer. The next batch of cars is now expected in Q1 possibly early Q2 next year.

My order spec. was locked in on 15 September, I called today to see if anything had moved along, but it's still late Q1 next year according to the chap on the phone. I've gone for an Eletre R in Galloway Green, ceramic brakes, side cameras and intelligent glass roof.

I've seen and sat in them them several times in the flesh, most recently at their new showroom in Mayfair where I spent a solid hour or two finalising the spec before the order locked.

I've just booked a test drive from Colchester next week, so that should be rather good.
What interior did you go with? I got an email on Monday to lock in my configuration and still up and down on that a bit. They phoned me today to chase up so they are keen. Told delivery same time as you are suggesting also.

Really hard to find out what some of the interiors even are, Jasper for instance says has extra carbon fibre but where? No one seems to know…

Carbon Ceramic brakes is going all in. I hardly ever use the brakes on my wife’s Tesla and the base ones on the Eletre seemed very good. I’ll not be following you with that choice though the caliper colour is nice with the green.

What interior did you go with? I got an email on Monday to lock in my configuration and still up and down on that a bit. They phoned me today to chase up so they are keen. Told delivery same time as you are suggesting also.

Really hard to find out what some of the interiors even are, Jasper for instance says has extra carbon fibre but where? No one seems to know…

Carbon Ceramic brakes is going all in. I hardly ever use the brakes on my wife’s Tesla and the base ones on the Eletre seemed very good. I’ll not be following you with that choice though the caliper colour is nice with the green.
Magnetite in the standard nappa leather.

Not sure if you can get into London easily, but worth seeing them at the Mayfair centre - they have a couple of Eletre's on the ground floor and all the colours, patterns, etc in a whole section downstairs.

I went ceramics as I cant stand rusty discs. I would have got ceramic coated brakes like I have on my Taycan, but Lotus don't offer that option only iron and full ceramics. The stopping should be as epic as the shifting off the line.

Magnetite in the standard nappa leather.

Not sure if you can get into London easily, but worth seeing them at the Mayfair centre - they have a couple of Eletre's on the ground floor and all the colours, patterns, etc in a whole section downstairs.

I went ceramics as I cant stand rusty discs. I would have got ceramic coated brakes like I have on my Taycan, but Lotus don't offer that option only iron and full ceramics. The stopping should be as epic as the shifting off the line.
Probably cannot get to London for a couple of weeks.

Magnetite is what I initially picked with the standard grey and red callipers. Other in mind is green with Quartz interior. Probably Green with Gold is better but cannot justify £4.5k personally just to get Tan.

Magnetite seems a little different, it’s got non-leather on the backs of the seats for instance unlike all the other options that I can tell.

Normally can make my mind up on this stuff pretty easily but I’m pretty torn on this one.

I got an email on Monday to lock in my configuration and still up and down on that a bit. They phoned me today to chase up so they are keen.

Seems a long time before they would have to commit the manufacture, or is that normal for brands that have many options? I did bill-of-materials work for the fashion trade and they bought in fabric to match orders and the lead time was terrible ... so could be that.

Normally can make my mind up on this stuff pretty easily but I’m pretty torn on this one.

I recommend buying a Tesla. Easy to choose amongst the myriad of options :)

Seems a long time before they would have to commit the manufacture, or is that normal for brands that have many options? I did bill-of-materials work for the fashion trade and they bought in fabric to match orders and the lead time was terrible ... so could be that.

It's not that crazy, especially these days. I waited 13 months for my Taycan. I did have a Genesis on order recently and that was quoted as 5 months lead time for a factory build.

Re: stopping distance, ceramic rotors really only help for repeated full-on braking from high speed that would cause Fe rotors to overheat. Unlikely to do much for commuting. But they look cool and don't need replacement - again unless tracking the car. Brake dust is not much of an issue if using regen.

Guess as they are built in China they will need to do a batch of RHD all close together then pop them on a boat to Blighty. So the wait is probably getting enough orders in to then build that batch I guess.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Guess as they are built in China they will need to do a batch of RHD all close together then pop them on a boat to Blighty. So the wait is probably getting enough orders in to then build that batch I guess.
yeah they're definitely building and shipping them in batches. The first batch was the 2000 recently arrived including dealer demo cars, and the cars that were destructively tested for crash regs.