Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK PWS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m waiting for a 2022 plate Tesla 3. LR

Do the new cars come with PWS enabled and can it be disabled in the menu until next start ?
Other cars can disable it and it is allowed for in the regulations

From 1 July 2019, all manufacturers must install a system in new types of quiet electric and hybrid electric vehicles. Sound generators will produce a specified level of noise when they are reversing or running below 20 km/h(about 12mph). The sound generated will be similar to that made by a conventional engine and can be temporarily deactivated by the driver if judged necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rules changed somewhat after the official announcement. After getting it through they yoinked the requirement that it must be disabled, meaning more noise pollution for all.. I'm sure your neighbours will appreciate the reversing beeps at 4am.

Lucky we didn't end up with some of the earlier drafts though.. they were talking about the PWS being forced to make engine noises at the same volume as a typical engine, so an electric bus would need bloody great speakers on it pumping out loud diesel engine sounds..

FYI everyone, PWS is the colloquial name for the system that everyone now understands, so naturally in the UK it's officially AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System) - just in case you wanted to search for official documents.

I do find it odd especially as some modern cars often seem quieter than teslas when they’re coming past me on the road - even at 20. Does this mean I wont be able to follow pedestrians down st. ives seafront like a ninja without them noticing anymore?

If its a requirement from July 2019 then they must have forgotten to fit on my March 2020 model or its faulty - so that wont be repaired unless its an MOT requirement and then i will refer back to Tesla as a warranty claim - and immediately after MOT the wire will get pulled off the speaker for another 12 months.
Its all bunkum that visually impaired people cant hear EVs as they make the same noise as ICE - the tyre noise is the same and with all cars you hear tyre noise well before the engine noise - except for boy racers with their dustbin sized exhausts and the popping they introduce to their 1 litre Corsas.

And I would also like to stand firm with the aurally impaired as they are left out of legislation to cover them --- and suggest all cars have flashing lights.

Last week while walking along a quiet rural road with no footpath, I heard a M3 (without PWS/AVAS) approaching me from behind before going by.

But a moment later I didn't hear a new ICE car, so it caught me by surprise. It definitely wasn't a hybrid, I did search the model to be sure.

Make of that what you will.

Reactions: Wol747 and Mrklaw
Last week while walking along a quiet rural road with no footpath, I heard a M3 (without PWS/AVAS) approaching me from behind before going by.

But a moment later I didn't hear a new ICE car, so it caught me by surprise. It definitely wasn't a hybrid, I did search the model to be sure.

Make of that what you will.

I live on a country road. I agree, an EV makes as much road noise as many ICE cars if travelling above about 25mph ... and in some cases even at slower speeds. The noisy cars that pass us are large SUVs (extra tyre noise) or customised cars and bikes with intentionally "fruity" exhausts. The more recent additions are people with their engine mapping designed to produce pops and bangs on the over-run ... particularly popular in conjunction with a flappy paddle change and an illegal exhaust ... oh how we love such vehicles visiting our area ... some of them wouldn't be allowed to run on a track due to noise level!

Last edited:
Blimey, it's like the DM comments section here.

AVAS is only required to operate upto 20kmh, that's 12mph, because after that road noise is the same. It's quiet as well, 56db at 50m, that's generally seen as the normal background level in a quiet suburb, it'll not be audible through windows.

For people with vision loss a key concern is car parks, with an electric car there's no way to tell it's about to move, however its quite routine to be able to tell that an ice is running. Given the RNIB was advocating for this, I'm very happy for it to make people with a disability to feel safer. There are plenty of folks without vision problems that are sometimes started when my car starts moving forward, who wants to startle people.

If it was possible I would pay to add it to my current Model 3, and I'm pleased it will be standard on my next one.

One reason I like my V8 Morgan.. only one small silencer between the catalyst and open air, it is noisy, even at low speed.
It is that sort of noise that the PWS needs to make.
I know this is a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I honestly can’t wait for ICE cars to jus eff off because of the antisocial racket so many of them produce, deliberately.

If I sat next to a family having a picnic on the beach, dropped a boom box on the sand and cranked it up to 11, I’d rightly be regarded as a yob, and hopefully told to do one, but when it comes to exhaust noise it seems to be more acceptable.

The fact that OEMs are deliberately adding noisy modes is unacceptable IMO.

Reactions: DoricJim and Wol747
I live near a set of traffic lights. I have no idea how it can be legal for motorcycles pulling away from the lights to have engines so incredibly noisy, but there we are - clearly no rules (or at least no enforcement of rules) and clearly a lot of inconsiderate people who don't care about the effects of their vehicles on the people around them.

(Not claiming that all or even a majority of motorcyclists ride this way, but the ones that do are incredibly annoying)

Reactions: 15Peter20
Anyone here able to post a quick video of what the forward PWS sounds like?

The rear one is completely audible but I'm not sure what the forward one sounds like and am wondering if the motor whine (which I currently have a service appointment booked for) is actually just the PWS.

Problem is 99% of the videos on YouTube either are recorded with terrible audio or have someone talking the whole time

Anyone here able to post a quick video of what the forward PWS sounds like?

The rear one is completely audible but I'm not sure what the forward one sounds like and am wondering if the motor whine (which I currently have a service appointment booked for) is actually just the PWS.

Problem is 99% of the videos on YouTube either are recorded with terrible audio or have someone talking the whole time
Is there a forward one now? My April 2021 build M3 has NO forward PWS, it is absolutely silent at parking speeds.