Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK spare-part availability - X in for 3+ months waiting for part

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@kas911 Apparently all authorised Tesla repairers have dedicated logins to a parts ordering web portal. This links directly to the EU central parts warehouse located in the Netherlands. All quoted ETAs for parts come from this portal.

However, authorised repairers can purchase from Service Center locally maintained stock BUT this stock does not appear in the portal.

I ended up phoning the Park Royal Service Center asked to speak to someone about parts who then did a UK SC check on the parts I needed. I then phoned the repairer and told them where to get the parts.

Reactions: Nick77 and ringi
To be fair I don't think parts availability is a problem exclusive to Teslas. My previous car a BMW 330D Touring was at the bodyshop for 3months last year waiting for parts including a front bumper and headlight assembly.

Reactions: Sean.
To be fair I don't think parts availability is a problem exclusive to Teslas. My previous car a BMW 330D Touring was at the bodyshop for 3months last year waiting for parts including a front bumper and headlight assembly.

hmm - yes but dependent on WHEN last year - last year was in the middle of covid and transport crisis. Apart from that the 330D has been out of production for 4 years now?

So most parts would normally come for "3rd party" providers or "whenever" BMW have factory time. Once out of production - manufacture run in "cycles" with each production run being slightly increased in "spare part price" until there no longer are takers. It is expensive to run up an old manufacturing line.

We have been past that for 5-6 months now - shipping prices are down to pre-covid prices. Material prices are down to almost pre-covid prices. Material availability is great in general. But I think the delays are due to Tesla not making S/X's in volume at the moment - and hoped lines would be fully operational before stock would run out.. But that did not happen (IMHO).

But it would be nice if some SW development SpaceX people went to Tesla and helped making some logistics estimates.

I don’t know about the USA but in Europe, manufacturers must maintain availability of every part for 8-10 years AFTER a model has stopped being made.
The rules are made such that they do not need to keep stock - just supply stock within a reasonable timeframe. It does not say it has to be next day deliverable. And the regulations don't deal with price increases on the parts.

That is why each subsequent run of parts get price bumped until only 3rd party vendors have interest in supplying them.

And as long as a 3rd party supply a part - the original manufacture is not bound to make them. So some companies hand over responsibility and plans to the parts to 3rd parties after a while. If the 3rd party STOP making the part - responsibility reverts back to the original vendor.

EU spare parts regulations are a joke...

[edit rant/] The EU can't make rules that actually work if it bit them in the a*se. All EU regulations are so full of exceptions that most companies find ways around them. Take the new USB-C requirement for some consumer electronics. Absolute horrible standard - as long as USB-C is not tighter regulated. If the EU wanted to minimise waste - they should have said "All consumer electronics devices with a power consumption of less than 100/140/200/240 Watt - need to at least adhere to USB-C standard XYZ with UL certification" - and 2/3's of my power adaptors are not "mobile device related" and all have different connectors and power requirements.

On my USB-C tester I would say only about 40% of what is branded USB-C - actually follow the standard to the letter. Some USB-C powered devices are so badly made they can blow up your "power supply" device. Thanks god some brands actually check before they send 20V 5A down the line..... If you buy USB-C devices on Amazon - it is 50/50 if the device adheres somewhat to the actual USB-C power delivery standard. And a lot of chargers are stupid - allowing USB-C devices to "feedback" power through the charger. So you charge your device - switch power off - and your device then gets DRAINED by the same blody charge that just filled it up due to parasitic drains. (Anker USB-C chargers does among many others)
[/rant over]

Last edited:
I‘ve been waiting for a replacement floor panel since December. SC got one after a few months but it was damaged. It’s now scheduled for April. Let’s see if that works out
I had the same floor panel issue since Dec 29, 2022 parts order. I was told that floor panel for 2022 model X was currently out of stock and possibly back in May. Please let me know if you get it in April.

So far I think the Rear Left panel is on the way with a delivery date after easter - but Garage came back and said "Ohh we forgot we don't have the tailgate inner lining yet - and not ETA on that" (That is despite Garage saying earlier we have all parts bar Rear Left Panel)

Car return ETA (for now) is delayed until end April. But I doubt it.

After chat with insurance company - I can understand they have a LOT of Model S and X's in the UK that are not getting repaired. And as I spoke about before - insurance rates on Tesla's will probably double or triple due to the spare parts issues.

My insurance company is paying for a rental replacement until repairs are complete + storage at the repair centre. So I think this will end up being a £22-30k repair where 1/4 to 1/3 is storage and car rental costs. But I'll get a copy of the final bill.

I crashed my MY 6 weeks ago and I’ve been told I definitely won’t be getting my car back until after 3 months minimum whilst they wait for parts to arrive. They checked the system when I went to pick up to Seat Ibiza courtesy car and said they’re on “back order”, whatever that means.
Realistically it’s looking like closer to winter before I get it back..

Reactions: Rooster6655
So far I think the Rear Left panel is on the way with a delivery date after easter - but Garage came back and said "Ohh we forgot we don't have the tailgate inner lining yet - and not ETA on that" (That is despite Garage saying earlier we have all parts bar Rear Left Panel)

Car return ETA (for now) is delayed until end April. But I doubt it.

After chat with insurance company - I can understand they have a LOT of Model S and X's in the UK that are not getting repaired. And as I spoke about before - insurance rates on Tesla's will probably double or triple due to the spare parts issues.

My insurance company is paying for a rental replacement until repairs are complete + storage at the repair centre. So I think this will end up being a £22-30k repair where 1/4 to 1/3 is storage and car rental costs. But I'll get a copy of the final bill.
Car sorted yet?

@kas911 Apparently all authorised Tesla repairers have dedicated logins to a parts ordering web portal. This links directly to the EU central parts warehouse located in the Netherlands. All quoted ETAs for parts come from this portal.

However, authorised repairers can purchase from Service Center locally maintained stock BUT this stock does not appear in the portal.

I ended up phoning the Park Royal Service Center asked to speak to someone about parts who then did a UK SC check on the parts I needed. I then phoned the repairer and told them where to get the parts.
So why have the Tesla authorised repairers not cottoned onto this and just phoned the Service Centres themselves?

Car sorted yet?

nope - garage reported car ready last week - I disagreed and refused delivery. Insurance say they have 2 tries to get it right - so now waiting for 2nd try.

Just a suggestion if anyone has to send their cars off for repair - it helps if you do a COMPLETE photo/video session of the car's condition before it is handed in. I think that just saved me a bundle...

Apart from the above issue - the Garage tried to return the car without top spoiler cover part and right light damage/ scratches - with a promise it would be done the week after. They had told me about the spoiler part and said it was only for "decoration" - they forgot to say it exposes wires and connectors to rain and dirt... The right light did NOT have scratches or damage when it went into the garage? "Accidental swap?" with another Tesla X so it could be delivered - or "fck up" during disassembly? I do not know...

Seems like the issue is the garage get ZERO money from insurance before car is repaired and returned. So the garage will try ANYTHING to return the car "before time" (Tesla Authorised Garage)