Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK used Model S pricing and timescales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am keen on a Model S but can't quite fund a new purchase. Used examples on the Tesla UK site via the Model S tab, the cheapest today is a 2104 85 for £57,500 with 9,389 miles.

On the USA site the cheapest today is a 2104 60 6,140 miles at $58,000 (£37,545.00)

Looking on the Tesla sales pages here we can see prices as low at $45,000 (£29,129.00) for older 40 and 60 Model S.

It is probably unrepresentative but how long could it take for UK Model S (60 or 85 or even 70) dropping to that £30K used pricing point? The USA has a lot more cars for sale and is a different market naturally but are we 1 year, 2 years or 3 years away, when the $30K Model 3 begins to hit the market.

If I could find a Model S for £30K I would leap at it, and I am sure a few others would too, but how far away are we from that kind of price, or would it never happen?

With Teslas finance comp guarantying 50percent cost of car and 47 percent cost of upgrades buy back after 3 yrs it'll be a while .
Its a marketing ploy to give us first and second wave purchasers a bit of assurance our cars aren't going to depreciate off the face of the earth , but if all things go to plan they should be worth more than this figure

I was going to suggest you might get a cheap grey import from Japan. Then I thought that I hadn't heard a dicky-bird about Tesla in Japan and assumed they were not there yet. A quick look at Supercharge.info, however, shows 6 SuperChargers there already. Unfortunately, waiting for a cheap MS from that source seems likely to be even longer than finding one here in the UK! Good luck anyway. It will be worth the wait. If you do import one, just be careful about Suing compatibility. MW

Thanks Sirguydo thats a good point the 3 year pricing through Tesla won't go below what they have committed to pay out, only a private sale would come in less I would imagine.

The Japan import sounds interesting, but not so much, but I am looking a LHD EU versions just to see where pricing is, in Norway the Model S has seen a large take up due to €16K in Government claims and subsidies available.

Sometimes you just have to admit there are very little corners to cut to get that deal that suits you.

Doesn't a RHD Tesla drive a bit weird if you are right handed? I mean, isn't it a bit awkward to use the touchscreen with your left hand? :confused:

Also at the moment Tesla seems to sell their vehicles much cheaper in the UK than in the rest of europe (pre- 5k grant).

Using one's left hand for the touchscreen is exactly the same as having to use a mouse left handed. You adapt. I guess it helps that I have had to use my right hand to do it first tho!

Interestingly the basic MS has dropped quite a lot in price in the 6 months since I bought mine. I paid £55k for a 60 with the Tech package and SuperCharging all of which I gather comes as standard now on the 70. The 70 (RWD) with Autopilot is £48k (after the £5k UK grant)!

Seen a bit of a shift. Tesla Model S for sale privately on here regularly hitting $50-55K. A USA TPO Model s 60 is $50,800 or £32K.

Seems Autopilot is shifting used prices down a little.

A new UK Model S 70 rear wheel drive only is now £44,300 after incentives. Why does that price include petrol? If the new referred code comes up at £2K thats £42,300. Hmmmm....

Using one's left hand for the touchscreen is exactly the same as having to use a mouse left handed. You adapt. I guess it helps that I have had to use my right hand to do it first tho!

Interestingly the basic MS has dropped quite a lot in price in the 6 months since I bought mine. I paid £55k for a 60 with the Tech package and SuperCharging all of which I gather comes as standard now on the 70. The 70 (RWD) with Autopilot is £48k (after the £5k UK grant)!

A 70 with Autopilot is £53k after deduction of the £5k grant.

But your 60 with tech pack has the powered liftgate, fog lights and cornering lights, none of which a base 70 has today.

So a 70 is pretty much price equivalent with the old 60. There really hasn't been much of a drop.

Hmmm... confused. The Design Studio screen shot below is for a 70 RWD with AP...

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 10.55.52.jpg

The 'cash price' of £52,900 (as opposed to the 'After Incentives' price) appears to not include the £5k grant as described in the 'EV Incentives' section at the bottom. So, 52900-5k=£47,900. If you are saying the 'Cash price' *includes* the £5k grant then I would say that the pricing information is rather misleading based on the use of the word 'incentives' as the implication is that the 'after EV Incentives' price is the one that includes the grant rather than the 'cash price'.

Why not just spell it out - 'Cash Price (after grant) £52,900'? I thought Tesla was not supposed to be the typical slippery 'Arfur Daley'-type car seller? Anyway, it still sounds cheaper than what I paid (£55k) especially given that you (apparently) get an extra 10kWh of battery. A lowered lift gate and extra lighting doesn't add up to £2k in my book but that may be what they cost.

MW

Got this online just now to add to the confusion.

Is the petrol savings really taken off the asking price?

Yes, apparently someone at Tesla thinks this is a good way to advertise their pricing. Somehow putting their brand into the Ryanair bracket doesn't seem to worry them.

The "cash price" with the £5K grant taken off is almost reasonable, since that's the amount of cash you actually have to hand over - though it would be nice if they showed the true price somewhere.

If you click on the I Commute To London link it reduces the 'Incentives' price to £31,700, just a little mis-leading :)

So £50,400 to you at the back, basic spec, but really it only costs £31,700 due to the commuting savings, petrol they have decided is the average plus something else, TAX savings at near £5000 too it seems.

Still there it all is?

What would be fun is if Tesla sold the car at £31,700 to honour those savings knowing you are clearly, definitively, going to make them, but nah, probably not.....

Yes, unfortunately £50800 is the price after incentives.
I've looked at most used Teslas, but It made more sense to buy a new one, since the difference is not much.
Also , don't forget to use a referral link (like one in my signature :)), it gives £1000 off.