Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC Button Interrupts Charging Even When Locked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always thought pressing the button on the UMC while the car is locked (and charging) only re-ignites the charging LEDs momentarily, without affecting the charging process in any way whatsoever. I am even almost certain I tested this a while back.

But recently, I noticed that pressing the button actually interrupts charging. I noticed this while charging at home, using the 14-50 plug. It was early morning, and the car had been charging overnight. I went to the car (no key fob), and just pressed the button. The LEDs turned on, green, and switched to blue immediately. I got a notification on my phone that charging was interrupted. Since I had scheduled charging setup, charging did not resume automatically. I then had to force start charging from the app - all this while, the car was locked, and the UMC remained locked to the charging port.

Can someone check if they see the same behavior? (I want to confirm if this is a s/w change or a defect in my car alone). This is not desired behavior, is it?

They can interrupt, but they cant disconnect. It has always been that way.

That said, I have caught some unscrupulous owners in Gilroy interrupting my charge to become primary in the charging pair. I agree, when the car is locked and charging you should not be able to interrupt and uplug until the car is unlocked.

The button changes the proximity signal telling the car's charger to immediately stop pulling power so that if the plug is removed there will be no arcing that could damage the connector.

It's always been this way, and it's the same on other EV's equipped with a J1772 charging port as well.

• Informative
Reactions: kennybobby