Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC Connection Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mknox: I know you said your chargeport was swapped out, but was *all* of it swapped out? Tesla volunteered to replace the internal wiring, and the LEDs which weren't lighting up right, but I had to push to get them to replace the physical plastic front end of the port as well.

This is what my repair invoice from October, 2013 shows:

2-25-2015 9-23-31 AM.jpg

Anyone know what three flashing green LEDs, followed by a single red LED on the UMC indicates? This is when it is plugged into a 14-50 plug which is then plugged into a 6-50 adapter and outlet. Screen says check power. But there is power, but not charging.

Anyone know what three flashing green LEDs, followed by a single red LED on the UMC indicates? This is when it is plugged into a 14-50 plug which is then plugged into a 6-50 adapter and outlet. Screen says check power. But there is power, but not charging.

Ground fault? Something like that happened to mine when I was trying to charge at 24A on a mislabeled 20A circuit. Limiting to 16A fixed the problem.

Been trying to plug in UMC to 240V socket in France. Every time, when I plug the plug into the socket, before plugging the UMC into the car, it shows a green light. Then, when I connect to the car, the light starts flashing red 3 times. I've tried 5 or 6 different sockets around the place I'm staying, some of which were labelled as 10A, others as 15A or 32A sockets. Same result everywhere.
I charged the car off a 240V socket in Germany yesterday and it worked well there. Any idea what might have changed, or how to fix?

I found a barn in a farm nearby that has some J1772 outlets (I think - the one with the red adapter. This is a rented Tesla and I've never owned one). I checked that the red adapter fits and the UMC shows a green light, but nobody was there and it is Christmas day so I didn't want to drive a car into their property without asking, but I will go back tomorrow and ask if I can use it.

is this likely to be an issue the the sockets, the UMC, or the charger? We SuperCharged at 3 SpCs on the way over form Germany.

Been trying to plug in UMC to 240V socket in France. Every time, when I plug the plug into the socket, before plugging the UMC into the car, it shows a green light. Then, when I connect to the car, the light starts flashing red 3 times. I've tried 5 or 6 different sockets around the place I'm staying, some of which were labelled as 10A, others as 15A or 32A sockets. Same result everywhere.
I charged the car off a 240V socket in Germany yesterday and it worked well there. Any idea what might have changed, or how to fix?

I found a barn in a farm nearby that has some J1772 outlets (I think - the one with the red adapter. This is a rented Tesla and I've never owned one). I checked that the red adapter fits and the UMC shows a green light, but nobody was there and it is Christmas day so I didn't want to drive a car into their property without asking, but I will go back tomorrow and ask if I can use it.

is this likely to be an issue the the sockets, the UMC, or the charger? We SuperCharged at 3 SpCs on the way over form Germany.

The UMC manual says that three flashes means "Contactor failed: Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle and wait 10 seconds. If the error persists, contact Tesla." I believe that's a problem within the vehicle — unfortunately. I'd call Tesla roadside assistance.

The UMC manual says that three flashes means "Contactor failed: Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle and wait 10 seconds. If the error persists, contact Tesla." I believe that's a problem within the vehicle — unfortunately. I'd call Tesla roadside assistance.

We contacted Tesla. They said there was no problem with the car. The green UMC light when not connected to the car suggests that it thinks the socket we were using should be ok. Tesla couldn't help.

Luckily, the next Tesla guy we talked to informed us there is a destination charger 5km from where we are staying. This charger was not on the map in the car and somehow we had not found it on any of the charger map websites. IN any case, we drove there, depleting our rated range from 16 to 3km (only noticed halfway that A/C was switched on :D ), and it is now happily charging. The girl at the hotel told us that they had lots of Tesla owners stay at the hotel because of the destination charger and was very enthusiastic about Tesla and EVs as a result. She's never driven one and we'll let her take it for a spin when it's finished charging. Hopefully one more future Model 3 buyer!

We contacted Tesla. They said there was no problem with the car. The green UMC light when not connected to the car suggests that it thinks the socket we were using should be ok. Tesla couldn't help.

Luckily, the next Tesla guy we talked to informed us there is a destination charger 5km from where we are staying. This charger was not on the map in the car and somehow we had not found it on any of the charger map websites. IN any case, we drove there, depleting our rated range from 16 to 3km (only noticed halfway that A/C was switched on :D ), and it is now happily charging. The girl at the hotel told us that they had lots of Tesla owners stay at the hotel because of the destination charger and was very enthusiastic about Tesla and EVs as a result. She's never driven one and we'll let her take it for a spin when it's finished charging. Hopefully one more future Model 3 buyer!

You should be able to see a list of the destination chargers by tapping the charger icon on the navigation screen. You can also check: Find Us | Tesla.