Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC connector 3 flashes of red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kktr

Jun 8, 2017
Europe
Hello.

This is the UMC connector (European version 230V adapter). This is a brand new cable that came with the car.

After plugging it to a power outlet it flashes red 3 times then there's a brief pause.

There's an adapter that goes to a 230V socket. It seems this is not present in the american version.

This adapter seems quite loose. There's a noticable gap. I am not sure if this is intended or not. Would appreciate input from people that have a similar connector.

I have tried several different grounded power outlets but the result is the same.

I have tried holding the 'reset' button on the UMC and then plugging it to the power source. It stays green for about 3 seconds but then goes back to flashing red 3 times.

I have tried cleaning the connectorsout of any possible dust by blowing air into them.

As a result plugging the UMC to the car causes a 'Charge cable fault' notification on the dashboard and a red ring of light around car's socket.

I am out of ideas and since I have no other cables at the moment the car remains unchargable. What can be the possible causes? Anything I can try to fix it?

Thanks.

Hi. So I found the solution.

I disassembled one wall socket in my home and reversed the polarities. (Not sure if this is the right technical term). Basically flipped the wires that are in the socket. UMC is now green.

• Informative
Reactions: 365gtb4
Hi. So I found the solution.

I disassembled one wall socket in my home and reversed the polarities. (Not sure if this is the right technical term). Basically flipped the wires that are in the socket. UMC is now green.

To clarify, by flipping wires I mean switching their places (Wire L went to R's place. wire R went to L's place. G stands for ground).

socket:
|____(G)___|

I think I have heard of this having to be done a few times from some places in Europe. I think the two may be a hot and a neutral. The Tesla charge cable seems to care which side the neutral is on. But when installing those outlets, frequently builders or electricians just put those two wires in either way, because it's the same voltage between them, and basically no other appliance will be able to tell any difference.