Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC / SOOW Extension cable resilience to door crushing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When charging at a friend's, family's, etc location, you may have to have the car parked outside the house, with the outlet inside the house -- there have been other posts about making an extension cord using soow 6/3, which is a rugged cable.

The question is, if you have the cable going under a (closed) garage door, or some similar type of crushing -- is this going to damage the cable (either the soow or the umc?)

If so, what do people do in that situation?

Leaving a garage door, window, etc open overnight invites rodents, snakes, etc indoors, and in many places is simply not an option.

My garage door has a rubbery thingy at the bottom and most I have seen always do as concrete garage floors aren't often perfectly level. This allows a relatively airtight seal when the garage door closes. I would imagine this rubbery thing would provide you with enough gap to have your cord under the door safely without causing damage. I have run my generator cord in this manner with no issue.

If the door actually slams down on the cable repeatedly, especially in the same spot, it will eventually cause problems.

The rubber gasket can sometimes help, especially if you can (and are willing) to cut a small notch in it for the cord.

Some garage doors also allow pretty fine control over where they "stop" when closing... you should check into this. On mine, I have it set so that the door thinks it's "closed" when there's really about 1/2" of daylight between the bottom of the door and the concrete. This combined with a notch in my weatherstripping means that the cord will slide back and forth with just a little bit of force under the door.