Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to drive - Authentication required alerts every hour/two hours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

New Tesla Owner here (CPO March 2017 Model S 75D bought in November, upgraded to MCU2/AP3 in early January).

I've noticed in my alert history that I seem to be getting the "Unable to drive - Authentication required" (GTW_w358) alerts approximately every hour or two hours. This happens when I am definitely not using the car, especially in the middle of the night when the car is parked and locked.

Does anyone else see this or know why this happens?

Screenshot_20210131-125210.png

Do you have 2 profiles? Link yours to your fob and then try to link the second profile to a second fob. It will only allow you to link fobs that are detected so if the second fob is under a seat or something you will know.

Register what? The key fobs? If so, perhaps its my second key fob as they only had one of them at the service center.

No. The key fobs are old. There's no need to tell your car what has been existing all this time.

You need to tell your car there are unfamiliar pieces of hardware that's just invaded into your car: MCU2 and HW3.0 and they are now part of your car, not some kind of foreign invasion.

It does sound like the fobs aren’t working and the app is being used for drive authentication. When my MCU upgrade was done they needed both fobs. I’d check they did the correct key (authentication key) update and everything. I’ve seen this on the other side, where the app wouldn’t work; but could be the same thing, where the fobs weren’t transferred

Both key fobs are working fine. I haven't noticed any actual problems other than these alerts which happen when the car is parked and locked (which makes me think that the car may be waking up unnecessarily and wasting energy). I haven't contacted the service center yet. I have done a power down though and the alerts still persist. They were also happening before I installed 2020.48.35.5 as well.

I have noticed this as well, similar alerts biles up during night time, or when the car is parked (although have not checked is the code same). Can’t say since when but this behaviour has not been known before. My car is on 2020.48.12.1. so it’s AP1 car from 2016. Still on original MCU1 and no recent service been done. Also no issues detected during everyday driving. This last update was done early in January.

I have noticed this as well, similar alerts biles up during night time, or when the car is parked (although have not checked is the code same). Can’t say since when but this behaviour has not been known before. My car is on 2020.48.12.1. so it’s AP1 car from 2016. Still on original MCU1 and no recent service been done. Also no issues detected during everyday driving. This last update was done early in January.

OK, so probably nothing to do with my MCU2 & AP3 upgrades, but more likely due to recent software updates.

How come it’s related to MCU2 upgrade when my car was last serviced more than a year ago and it was nothing to do with MCU? I suspect that in the recent SW update something have triggered this alert as I do not see it when I enter the car and it has no impact on everyday commute (so far...). Will try to get into the recent history of the alerts tomorrow, when I have any need to drive...

OK, I'll contact the SC.

OK, so I contacted the SC. They said that the "authentication required" alerts were due to me having Passive Entry turned off. I turned on Passive Entry yesterday and sure enough, no "authentication required" alerts overnight.

I think I prefer to keep Passive Entry turned off, so I guess I can just ignore the alerts. Seems like a bug to produce those alerts, though.

I can’t confirm this, my Passive entry is/was still on. Unfortunately the car is not keeping longer history than two days and as of that I found today something different. I haven’t used it for three days and according to the history the car was notified that navigation data was not available. Doesn't it alerts if you try to start a route? And my nav. data was/is up to date when I opened the menu. Photos attached.
9989354E-57A5-4314-B1DA-D7457B394CF0.jpeg

5F29DEB4-A009-4301-B89A-071695F14CF5.jpeg