Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncomfortable driver seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh crap. This is only my 4th day with the car and today I drove the most miles so far - 30 miles? Both sides of my hips are sore! I'm 6'3", 200 lbs. Please tell me the seats break in.
I feel the same way about the seat.
After 10K miles either the seat has flattened a bit at the sides, or my butt has adjusted.

Basically, I’m comfy now, but feel the seats are designed for small drivers.

Reactions: Noflash
I have not sat in a Y but aren't the seats up higher from the floor board than in the 3 ?
If so that creates a totally different angles for your hips and knees which might be making the difference?
That's a very good point. They are on risers compared to the M3. @dvaquerano I did not need any break-in time for my seats to feel good. They have been great for me since Day One. FYI, I'm 5'8" and 195.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Unless they make the drivers seat and passenger seat differently, there's absolutely variance in their manufacturing process. My driver's seat's bolsters are super super stiff and dig into my thighs, the passenger seat bolsters are very soft and comfortable. It literally feels like 2x higher density foam. Does anyone else find one seat more comfortable than the other?

As for a fix, I would love tesla to replace the seat cushion, but I'm skeptical they'd do anything, it's probably "in spec".

As sort of hacky fix, I wonder if you could pull the seat cover tighter over the sides of the seat. I noticed that if I sort of pull the seat cover tighter over the sides by just pulling it with my fingers, it helps, but only for as long as I'm pulling. I think what's going on here is seat cover is pulling the bolster down and out a bit. I wonder if this cover could be latched deeper under the seat so it's tighter?

I agree that Tesla needs to rethink their seats. I use several layers of foam plus a seat cover, also padded, to get my butt off the seat bolsters. After a few hours, it gets painful and irritating having to sit on this padded brick. I'm constantly sliding side to side to rest my glutei. I don't know who tested Tesla's seating, but I imagine it was some youthful driver who never drove more than a block or two before signing them off as "comfortable".

I'd prefer a perfectly flat seat. I promise I won't slide any farther than the door or the center console, and will make sure my hands are on the wheel and my eyes on the road at all times. I'm going on a trip of 444 miles today, and I'll be in pain before I hit town. Not looking forward to this.

TESLA, YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!!!
Yep... New model y from China. Horribly uncomfortable and I'm only 5'9" and 200 lbs with most of the weight around my middle... not the butt. The bolsters are a real problem, compounded by the stupid forward leaning headrests, which for an upright seating position are guaranteed to give neck problems.

This will be my last Tesla unless this is addressed. Regretting leasing the vehicle as I'd be dumping it if I'd purchased outright.

For those who think they are comfortable, good for you, but a lot of us are simply used to MUCH better seats.

Yep... New model y from China. Horribly uncomfortable and I'm only 5'9" and 200 lbs with most of the weight around my middle... not the butt. The bolsters are a real problem, compounded by the stupid forward leaning headrests, which for an upright seating position are guaranteed to give neck problems.

This will be my last Tesla unless this is addressed. Regretting leasing the vehicle as I'd be dumping it if I'd purchased outright.

For those who think they are comfortable, good for you, but a lot of us are simply used to MUCH better seats.
I believe the seats for MIC Tesla's are made by an outside supplier, vs Tesla building themselves for Fremont-produced cars. I guess there could be a slight difference in spec because of that, or the maybe because the average height and weight of a male in China is slightly less (height) and significantly less (weight) than the average US or UK male.

I'm 5' 8" and 195 and find the seats very comfy.

Reactions: WhiteWi

Have you noticed if the passenger seat any more comfortable/different than the driver's side?

I believe the seats for MIC Tesla's are made by an outside supplier, vs Tesla building themselves for Fremont-produced cars. I guess there could be a slight difference in spec because of that, or the maybe because the average height and weight of a male in China is slightly less (height) and significantly less (weight) than the average US or UK male.

I'm 5' 8" and 195 and find the seats very comfy.
Mine is a 2022 made in Fremont and the driver side is uncomfortable. The passenger side comfortable and the bolsters are noticeably less hard. This means that they have manufacturing/quality/consistency issues, and I wouldn't be surprised if you just got luckier with the seat lottery. Or perhaps the newer cars have issues.

Have you noticed if the passenger seat any more comfortable/different than the driver's side?

Mine is a 2022 made in Fremont and the driver side is uncomfortable. The passenger side comfortable and the bolsters are noticeably less hard. This means that they have manufacturing/quality/consistency issues, and I wouldn't be surprised if you just got luckier with the seat lottery. Or perhaps the newer cars have issues.
I have noticed this exact thing. I picked up my MYP (Freemont) yesterday and after putting on around 100 miles yesterday and today I am determined to fix the seat. The passenger seat is extremely comfortable, while the driver seat feels like I am sitting on a plastic tub. In fact, my toilet seat is more comfortable to sit on. I have it scheduled for a service next week, but after reading many posts I am sure they will say that it is in "spec".

I am now considering if it would be possible to swap the seat bottom of the passenger seat with the driver seat. Does anyone have any insight into the feasibility of this? It is crazy how noticeably more comfortable the passenger side seat is

My model 3 seats are extremely uncomfortable. In 1 week I have developed sciatic pain and have stopped driving the car. I’m searching for upholsters who can help with the seat. My previous Honda Accord had better seats than Model 3. I never had this problem with any of my cars. I see many people have complained about the quality of the seats and lower back pains, yet there is no action. Perhaps a class action is the way to go.
This is very true. I have a model x 2022. In three weeks I developed sciatic pain. Now I cannot drive this car. Any solutions to resolve the seating problem?

I think the seats are very comfortable except that the headrests are so forward leaning. Though perhaps that's better support.
I am 6'4" and too heavy. Never an issue with the BMW X3 after a 500 mile day in the saddle.
The Y seems fine though the real test comes after Sept 20 when we go over to the mainland of Europe.

The side bolsters are a bit firm for the wider beam but for the average driver should be fine.

Perhaps the back problems are stress induced; fear of bending the new car out of shape.

Have a physio look at how you have set up your driving position... the permutations are immense.

Unless they make the drivers seat and passenger seat differently, there's absolutely variance in their manufacturing process. My driver's seat's bolsters are super super stiff and dig into my thighs, the passenger seat bolsters are very soft and comfortable. It literally feels like 2x higher density foam. Does anyone else find one seat more comfortable than the other?

As for a fix, I would love tesla to replace the seat cushion, but I'm skeptical they'd do anything, it's probably "in spec".

As sort of hacky fix, I wonder if you could pull the seat cover tighter over the sides of the seat. I noticed that if I sort of pull the seat cover tighter over the sides by just pulling it with my fingers, it helps, but only for as long as I'm pulling. I think what's going on here is seat cover is pulling the bolster down and out a bit. I wonder if this cover could be latched deeper under the seat so it's tighter?

I have a fix and information.

My brand new M3P really began to hurt after the first long ride. I am a bit larger in frame than the average bear. I'm 6'1” and 250 lbs with large hip bones.

At first it was the narrow hard wings that hurt me. But this hurt feeling expanded to not liking riding in the car a great deal any more than an hour. Over time, it was like memory and it hurt in shorter and shorter time.

I bought complete seat systems and studied them and studied the differences between “good” seats and “bad” seats.

All the Tesla models in recent times use the same or similar seats. The metal pans are identical. The Tesla seats use a foam that's far too soft. The seat sits too deep in a metal frame with essentially zero springs. Since the seat is deep into the frame, the wings / bolsters are actually up against the metal frame.

On my model 3, I replaced the foam with a more dense foam that is also higher. What a difference!

I basically swapped for a foam from a car that never hurt driving all day.

Problem solved.

This was a lot of work and time. Putting another foam in, while using the standard OEM Tesla “leather” seat cover was very difficult. I had to come up with some creative solutions.

But it was worth it.

No pain from the wings / bolsters as they are now totally soft and above the metal, genuine suspension in the seat, no shock over bumps. Much better back. I haven't tested yet for a 3 hour drive but I'm loving every second in this revised seat and look forward to sitting in it.

George Borrelli
2022 Tesla Model 3 P
Crystal River, Florida

Reactions: Corndart
I have also found the seat bottom on our 2022 MYLR to be quite narrow. Fortunately, the side bolsters have soft foam. On the drive home from the Tesla Delivery Center, I had a lot of hip pain. Reducing the angle of the seat bottom took care of the problem. For those who can't find a comfortable position, a seat cushion might help.

Brand new MYP here. I’m 5’10” and 170lbs. I also have a terrible back/neck. I find the seat extremely comfortable with the lumbar support maxed out.

The side bolsters are perfect for my frame. They are snug enough that I can see how it would be uncomfortable if your hips sat more over top of them.

When I enter the car, the left side bolster will often fold inwards a touch if I “drag” my butt over it. This results in a very uncomfortable jabbing in my hip. I can adjust and it goes back to normal position.

Pretty tough to make a one size fits all perfect seat. Seems like they tried to make the perfect seat for the average sized man (me) and it’s worked great but is not so good for larger folks. Probably would have been better to go for a good seat for everyone rather than perfect for the average size.

I feel bad for everyone with issues. I absolutely love the seat for my frame.