Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncomfortable driver seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@diddy everyone's proverbial mileage will vary as we all have unique bodies, but I would generally agree with you. As a larger gent myself (more in the width department than the height), I do find that the seat bottom bolsters--particularly the left--dig into my thighs. For short trips it's generally fine but on longer drives (e.g. recent road trip) it does get uncomfortable for me too. I haven't experimented a lot with my seating position but would agree that moving the chair up a bit (you're taller than me, but the Y does at least have a ton of headroom to work with) seems to help. I would say keep trying different seating positions, and take as frequent of breaks as possible on longer drives, to get out and stretch or walk around a little, helps. (E.g. if you're Supercharging on a road trip, maybe walk around instead of streaming Netflix in the car while you wait.)

Interesting that it's just one hip. Just a wild guess but I wonder if you're unconsciously turning your lower body a bit to the right because of the screen. That could explain the added pressure on the left hip.

@mrwug yeah that's a possibility. I think for me, it's because my right foot (and leg) are engaged in driving, while the left is just resting in place. I also try to alternate between having the leg stretched out or closer to a 90-degree angle in the knee with my foot closer to the seat.

Reactions: mrwug
My model 3 seats are extremely uncomfortable. In 1 week I have developed sciatic pain and have stopped driving the car. I’m searching for upholsters who can help with the seat. My previous Honda Accord had better seats than Model 3. I never had this problem with any of my cars. I see many people have complained about the quality of the seats and lower back pains, yet there is no action. Perhaps a class action is the way to go.

I feel everybody is different and each car is different for each person.

I found the Model Y and ID.4 (cloth) to be amazingly comfortable and plush but I found the Mach-E seats overly firm and thin (had to get a cushion because after 20mins my nerve at the base of my butt was numb) and the Ioniq 5 Limited (only that trim) to be outright painful to sit in for more than a few minutes. Could be the ventilated seats in the Ioniq 5.

Never had an issue with gas SUVs I’ve test driven nor my RAV4. They are pretty traditional seats.

I think the issue is the flat part of the butt portion of the seat just isn't very wide. I find the seats incredibly comfortable (soft vegan leather, thick but not too soft padding, side bolsters feel about right, length of seat is not too short, etc), except for width of the butt part of the seat. The sides come up and scrunch your legs/butt. I'm 6'0" 215 lbs (all muscle btw), but you almost have to sit to one side or the other as you can't sit flat.

I think the issue is the flat part of the butt portion of the seat just isn't very wide. I find the seats incredibly comfortable (soft vegan leather, thick but not too soft padding, side bolsters feel about right, length of seat is not too short, etc), except for width of the butt part of the seat. The sides come up and scrunch your legs/butt. I'm 6'0" 215 lbs (all muscle btw), but you almost have to sit to one side or the other as you can't sit flat.
I totally agree the issue is the flat portion of the seat bottom is not very wide. I don't recall this issue in my test drive of the Y in early 2021. I swear I read here that the seats have been updated, but I don't know in what way.

I can't imagine trying to sit angled like you suggested, that seems like a recipe for low-back pain. (though I can't help but try it)

My hope is that the seats wear-in and/or I get used to it - though I can still feel soreness in my hips this morning.

I'd hate to start messing with shaving the seat cushion, but I suppose this is an option.

@mrwug yeah that's a possibility. I think for me, it's because my right foot (and leg) are engaged in driving, while the left is just resting in place. I also try to alternate between having the leg stretched out or closer to a 90-degree angle in the knee with my foot closer to the seat.
I was thinking the same thing too… I rented one on Turo and drove 200 miles and felt it on my left hip. I found it was related to leg position.

I am a big guy too, 6'3" tall and 235 lbs. It took me a bit to get the positioning right but now that I did I find the seats very comfortable. I also make sure I don't have anything in my left back pocket (like my wallet) or I start getting hip pain. I'd recommend experimenting with different ways of placing your legs while driving.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Tesla 3/Y seats are very small. I have an ID.4 at the moment and everything about them is bigger. They're wider, and have a longer seat base that reaches the back of your knees. Getting into a Y made me feel like it was a compact car because the seats were so tightly bolstered, and I'm a skinny tall guy.

My 2018 3 seemed to have more compliant cushions, even though the seats are visibly very similar. They have gone through 3-4 seat pad revisions since 2017, at least. My friend's 2020 Model 3 feels totally different too.

I always put nylon 1/4" spacers under the front bolts of the seat track in every car I get since my legs are so long, the additional support under the thighs is nice.

Tesla 3/Y seats are very small. I have an ID.4 at the moment and everything about them is bigger. They're wider, and have a longer seat base that reaches the back of your knees. Getting into a Y made me feel like it was a compact car because the seats were so tightly bolstered, and I'm a skinny tall guy.

My 2018 3 seemed to have more compliant cushions, even though the seats are visibly very similar. They have gone through 3-4 seat pad revisions since 2017, at least. My friend's 2020 Model 3 feels totally different too.

I always put nylon 1/4" spacers under the front bolts of the seat track in every car I get since my legs are so long, the additional support under the thighs is nice.
Cool - can you post pics and or instructions?

Cool - can you post pics and or instructions?

I believe these are the ones. I removed the two front seat track bolts, slid each one under the track, then replaced the bolts and torqued them down pretty good.

Note that while it’s very secure, it is still modifying the seat ever so slightly and…. I am not liable for any issues that may arise in an accident. :) But with that out of the way… it does tilt the seat cushion up a little more for better leg support on long-legged drivers.

One of my vehicles I did this to required longer bolts, but I don’t think it was my old Model 3. Just something to be aware about if they aren’t long enough. It’s easy enough to bring the Tesla bolt to HD and find a longer match.

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash
My model 3 seats are extremely uncomfortable. In 1 week I have developed sciatic pain and have stopped driving the car. I’m searching for upholsters who can help with the seat. My previous Honda Accord had better seats than Model 3. I never had this problem with any of my cars. I see many people have complained about the quality of the seats and lower back pains, yet there is no action. Perhaps a class action is the way to go.
Because the answer is ALWAYS to lawyer up..... I find my seats to be probably the second-most comfortable I've ever had in a car (No 1 being my 1982 Volvo 244 Turbo).

Having owned well over 50 cars over more than 3 decades, and after a few major lower back surgeries, seat comfort is exteremely important to me. I'm not large-framed, and under 6' tall, but I think my MY seats are some of the most comfortable I've very sat in. Most of my highway trips are 3-4 hours long, and no issues. A primary factor in my vehicle choice is seat comfort. I'm the person at National rental car that goes in and out of cars in the lot until I can find comfortable seats. Are there better seats in more expensive cars? Sure, and I've had them. 20+ way adjustable, massage, ventilated, etc. and they all have their pros and cons. As a previous post states, everyone's body is different, and seat comfort is highly subjective. At 20+K miles, I have no complaints, and they have zero wear/creases, nor cushion degradation.