Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncomfortable Front Seat(s) / Thigh Bolster Mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all for the comments. I recently switched from a 2016 Model S to a 2019 Model S. The seats in my 2016 were Gen 3 (aka Next Gen) and the ones in my 2019 are Gen 4 (aka Premium). I have had the 2019 for about a week and my lower back is killing me. I never had any issues with the Gen 3 seats. When I sit in my 2019, it feels comfortable but I do feel the side bolsters against my hips. For some reason, I feel it in my lower back when. I get out of the car. I have tried every seat position imaginable and nothing seems to work. Reading previous posts here I am beginning to think the difference is the seat sitting too low into the springs. The Gen 3 seats were made by Recaro for Tesla and the Gen4s were brought in house. Recaro knows how to make seats!

I am going to try the “put plastic under foam in between springs” method described above. Hoping that will provide a more supportive structure. If that doesn’t work, I am going to look for some used Gen 3 seats and try and installed them on my 2019 Model S.

Glad to hear I am not the only one having this issue. People think I am crazy for complaining about these seats but I know 100% they are killing my back and I haven’t had this issue with any other cars.

Thanks all for the comments. I recently switched from a 2016 Model S to a 2019 Model S. The seats in my 2016 were Gen 3 (aka Next Gen) and the ones in my 2019 are Gen 4 (aka Premium). I have had the 2019 for about a week and my lower back is killing me. I never had any issues with the Gen 3 seats. When I sit in my 2019, it feels comfortable but I do feel the side bolsters against my hips. For some reason, I feel it in my lower back when. I get out of the car. I have tried every seat position imaginable and nothing seems to work. Reading previous posts here I am beginning to think the difference is the seat sitting too low into the springs. The Gen 3 seats were made by Recaro for Tesla and the Gen4s were brought in house. Recaro knows how to make seats!

I am going to try the “put plastic under foam in between springs” method described above. Hoping that will provide a more supportive structure. If that doesn’t work, I am going to look for some used Gen 3 seats and try and installed them on my 2019 Model S.

Glad to hear I am not the only one having this issue. People think I am crazy for complaining about these seats but I know 100% they are killing my back and I haven’t had this issue with any other cars.
@bbauernf The "next gen" Model S seats were the most comfortable seats put into any Tesla to date. Support, size, shape, firmness...everything just right. It's only downhill from there. The Palladium (2021+) seats are not as good either (though they are somewhat better than the 3/Y seats). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Reactions: BigNick
@bbauernf The "next gen" Model S seats were the most comfortable seats put into any Tesla to date. Support, size, shape, firmness...everything just right. It's only downhill from there. The Palladium (2021+) seats are not as good either (though they are somewhat better than the 3/Y seats). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Agree. Do you happen to know if I could put Next Gen seats in my 2019 Model S P100D? I assume I would lose out on the ventilation but, for the comfort, I would be willing to give up. Not sure if the wiring harnesses are the same? If so, I might try to find a used front set. Thanks for any advice.

Agree. Do you happen to know if I could put Next Gen seats in my 2019 Model S P100D? I assume I would lose out on the ventilation but, for the comfort, I would be willing to give up. Not sure if the wiring harnesses are the same? If so, I might try to find a used front set. Thanks for any advice.
@bbauernf No idea. The parts catalog might give some strong hints though, check if mounting or control wiring looks different.

For a time I considered upgrading our 2013 S P85 to them, which I think was possible, but I never pulled the trigger and at this point I'm not going to bother. Our S turns 10 years old in January and we'll likely only keep it for another year, maybe two max.

I too would be willing to give up the ventilation of the newest S seats for the superior comfort of the Next Gen seats.

I agree, my 2015 Model S P85D had the best seats of any of the Tesla vehicles I've owned or driven.

That's too bad that you lost the group to train with. That is a major drawback with a "less popular" art. Too few schools. But there are folks that are harder to find, willing to train all over....
When I first started, I had to do a lot of travelling to train. Finally became and instructor and full instructor. Teaching keeps me current and I can bring that with me wherever I go. I was in Colorado but moved to Florida. Restarting in a more rural area is challenging. I just got restarted with a couple students. I love it. I was getting depressed being away from it. Good to get back.
You could try forming your own group where you live, and travel from time to time for seminars.
There are teachers in your state and seminars all over North America.
Systema is awesome. Yes, I wish I found it earlier in my life as well. I've been involved in Systema in some way about 10 years now. I hope to never stop.
If you want to chat more sometime feel free. My web site has my contact info.
Regards,
George Borrelli
Systema Crystal River

Reactions: skydve1
Hi, I have a 2022 model 3 performance, and like some of you guys here I found the driver seat to be uncomfortable. My passenger side is ok because the left bolster doesn't seem to bother me. I also realized that the driver seat cushion has less support and sinks in lower. So after doing a little investigation of the under side of both driver and passenger seats, I found out that the driver side is missing some plastic material. what I did was I bought some thin flexible plastic cutting boards Amazon.com from amazon. There is a cable going through the cushion in the middle of the lower/middle section of the seats. These plastic will clear the cable and fit in the lower section. For the middle section, you have to cut about an inch off the length and width of the material to clear the cable and make it fit. I ended up using 8 pieces for the lower, and 4 pieces for the middle section. This will give the seat cushion much more support and will prevent the seat from sinking in too much. Therefore you won't feel the left bolster as much. Hope this will help some of you guys as much as it has help me.
Hi there

I saw your post about putting the plastic cutting boards under your drivers seat. I am going to try the same approach. I have already tried several cushions and nothing works for me so hoping your approach will work.

If you don’t mind answering a few questions regarding how you went about doing this, I would really appreciate it

1). Did you have to fully remove the seat from the car or were you able to just tip it forward to get at the bottom?

2). I saw on the bottom how the springs are arranged running lengthwise from front of seat to back. How did you slide the boards in there? From the side so they sit horizontally from left to right? Any advice on how you got them in there would be appreciated.

3). You mentioned having 8 in back section and 4 in the middle. Does this mean you stacked them 8 high (and 4) to give more support or were they all layed flat above the springs and under the foam cushion?

Really appreciate any guidance you can provide. It is awesome to have this forum to share this type of info.

Thanks much
Brian

Hi there

I saw your post about putting the plastic cutting boards under your drivers seat. I am going to try the same approach. I have already tried several cushions and nothing works for me so hoping your approach will work.

If you don’t mind answering a few questions regarding how you went about doing this, I would really appreciate it

1). Did you have to fully remove the seat from the car or were you able to just tip it forward to get at the bottom?

2). I saw on the bottom how the springs are arranged running lengthwise from front of seat to back. How did you slide the boards in there? From the side so they sit horizontally from left to right? Any advice on how you got them in there would be appreciated.

3). You mentioned having 8 in back section and 4 in the middle. Does this mean you stacked them 8 high (and 4) to give more support or were they all layed flat above the springs and under the foam cushion?

Really appreciate any guidance you can provide. It is awesome to have this forum to share this type of info.

Thanks much
Brian
I know you are looking for a response from the original posting. But I've done a lot, a lot of work on Tesla seats. I'll throw in some useful information.

You can put various spacers between the springs and the foam of the seat on the driver's side. I prefer to install blocks of foam to get more suspension in the change.

It would be best to remove the seat bottom. You don't have to take the entire seat out. Removal of the bottom isn't that difficult if you follow a process. I've posted videos on YouTube on how to do that easily. It is possible however to slide spacers in by only removing the outside clip of the seat cover. I just find it way more exhausting. I just remove the four floor bolts, rock the seat back, disconnect the two connectors, remove the seat cover clips and pull the seat bottom out. Then install the spacers. Reverse the process to reinstall the seat bottom.

If you try board sections, you can arrange them either direction. I put my foam block side to side. I leave a gap for the seat sensor wire to run in between them.

You don't need to lift the front, only need spacers over the springs, especially towards the rear.

You'll only be able to lift the seat to a certain max. Otherwise you won't be able to reattach the seat cover. I've lifted the seat quite a bit. I then had to add extensions to the rear clips.

For me spacing wasn't enough. I replaced the foam and used spacing as well. Now I love my seats!

Regards
George Borrelli

• Helpful
Reactions: skydve1 and tm1v2
This must be something new, I drove my model Y 6400 miles round trip from San Diego to Tennessee and then down to Key West Fl and back, no issues with leg or thigh pains or fatigue. Maybe lower the front of the seat so that it doesn’t cut your circulation.

My Model Y is May 2020 Build.
The problem is usually associated with wider hips and large body frame and bone structure. "Normal" and smaller size won't suffer and may love the seats as is.

Underside of the driver and passenger seats is not the same. See photos, driver underside (just unsupported grey material). Passenger underside (white with black spots foam material, and plastic piece for more support)
493C6518-D782-493C-9CCD-A91E1B8F54D6.jpeg

Attachments

• 50C69E40-5F4D-48B9-9EBA-2F4D5A061FB1.jpeg
    50C69E40-5F4D-48B9-9EBA-2F4D5A061FB1.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 59
The problem is usually associated with wider hips and large body frame and bone structure. "Normal" and smaller size won't suffer and may love the seats as is.

For what it's worth, I'm small (5'8, 130lbs) and the seat rubs against my thigh aggravating an existing condition. I've been sitting on a seat cushion to boost me a little up past it, but it's a little too squishy and doesn't give me a good solid "planted in the seat" feel.

Might try one of the mods in this thread (or two?) and see if I can find a way to do away with the cushion

Reactions: Georgesb2
I was going to buy a Y yesterday. Sat in the seats for about 20 mins, no amount of adjustments could be made to keep the thigh bolsters from digging into my ass/thighs/hips. 15 mins after I got out of the car I could still feel the pressure in my hips. 5'9 and 190lbs.

Reactions: Georgesb2
I was going to buy a Y yesterday. Sat in the seats for about 20 mins, no amount of adjustments could be made to keep the thigh bolsters from digging into my ass/thighs/hips. 15 mins after I got out of the car I could still feel the pressure in my hips. 5'9 and 190lbs.
Yes, there are many of us out there.
I completely rebuilt the seat bottoms and they work for me now. I'm 6'1" 250. With a wide bone structure.
If you did get a Tesla, and they all have the problem, I can help.

Reactions: medphys3
TL/DR: I removed approximately 3/8” of foam from the thigh bolsters of the front driver’s seat.

I realize that the Model 3 front seat comfort is a hot topic- some love them; others, not so much. I’m in the later group.

The thigh bolsters push inwards a bit too much and I can never really get comfortable. I first tried a fix that helped- inserting about a 3/8” thick stack of paper between the seat support springs and the seat foam. That was better, but it still didn’t feel right to me; less side pressure, but I felt I was sitting too high in the seat.

Today I finally did what I’d been planning to do for a long while:

I removed the seat, pulled back the seat cover from the sides and removed about 3/8” of foam from the thigh bolsters.

And I love it. It’s so much more comfortable and I find it really amazing how such a small change can make a huge difference.

If you are someone that knows how to work on cars, it’s easy. You don’t need to disassemble the seat. Just remove it and unhook a bunch of stuff to allow you to pull the seat covers back and expose the foam. It’s fairly simple once you see it.

It took me about two hours, with some breaks in between.

The foam surface after cutting isn’t 100% smooth, but once the cover is pulled back, you can’t really tell and I can’t feel the imperfections when sitting in the seat.

Hopefully this helps some of you.

Now to fix the backrest :)

View attachment 783281View attachment 783283View attachment 783284
You are very fortunate if that still works for you. I had tried that and it didn't work for me. I tried many, many other fixes....

The Tesla seats being uncomfortable has less to do with a person's height and even weight (although that often goes along with what I'm about to say) than to do with structural build. If a person has a larger frame, wider hips, wider shoulders, even larger head.... Then the Tesla seats are just awful.
I am only 6'1" but I have a larger, wider bone structural frame and taller upper torso. The Tesla seats really, really hurt me.
So I removed the seat bottom, installed a thicker, more dense foam. I removed the stock lumbar support. I replaced the lumbar with my own cut foam in the proper place for my build. I raised the head rest a bit and bend it back.
Now I love the seat.

George Borrelli
Crystal River, Florida

You are very fortunate if that still works for you. I had tried that and it didn't work for me. I tried many, many other fixes....

The Tesla seats being uncomfortable has less to do with a person's height and even weight (although that often goes along with what I'm about to say) than to do with structural build. If a person has a larger frame, wider hips, wider shoulders, even larger head.... Then the Tesla seats are just awful.
I am only 6'1" but I have a larger, wider bone structural frame and taller upper torso. The Tesla seats really, really hurt me.
So I removed the seat bottom, installed a thicker, more dense foam. I removed the stock lumbar support. I replaced the lumbar with my own cut foam in the proper place for my build. I raised the head rest a bit and bend it back.
Now I love the seat.

George Borrelli
Crystal River, Florida
Hi George,
Does using the different cushion raise the eye level of the driver? Being 6'6", I feel I'm at the limit of being able to see out of the windshield without leaning to the side or hunching forward.
My issue is the bolsters closest to the backrest are too narrow and push into my sciatic nerve instead of holding the outside of my legs as intended.

Thank You!

I read all this with interest. My 2019 M3 standard plus has almost perfect seats for me. But, I've rented 3 M3s and bought my middle son a 2019 M3 and I hated the seats in all of them. The lumbar is all wrong in the seats. Interesting fact.. I have my profile set up and it transfers to the other cars when I use the. ANd its completely and utterly wrong on the other seats. Not a little out of adjust, I mean seriously out of whack. Which makes me wonder how my M3 seats are such a unicorn. I did notice that my lumbar bags do not seem to work ( fine by me) and now I'm wondering if someone modded the seat before I got it ( it was used)...