Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under-staffed GUI/software staff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Carplay requires running a specific OS (QNX), or at least it did when they started. It's *not* simple to integrate without potentially adding another module.

2. Android Auto requires running Android.

I can think of a couple dozen reasons Tesla doesn't want to do either of those things. Most other companies are happy to cede their infotainment destiny to Apple or Android. Since Tesla wants to own the entire display experience, they will not do that, since they can't just carve out a bit of the software and hand it to Carplay/AA.

Maybe I'm not understanding the intricacies of OS/software compatibility, but in my Bolt when I plug in my Android phone, it loads up the AA screen. I can flip back and forth between AA and the car's native display with the touch of a button. It's not like AA is taking over the display...it's more or less just being sideloaded with the native UI.

I don't get how it would be hard for Tesla to allow AA/Carplay to "sideload" in its UI.

Maybe I'm not understanding the intricacies of OS/software compatibility, but in my Bolt when I plug in my Android phone, it loads up the AA screen. I can flip back and forth between AA and the car's native display with the touch of a button. It's not like AA is taking over the display...it's more or less just being sideloaded with the native UI.

I don't get how it would be hard for Tesla to allow AA/Carplay to "sideload" in its UI.

I'm not as familiar with AA. I think it's easier to do on a Linux based system like Tesla's than Carplay. Then it just comes down to a question of company relationships.

Add to that this: behind the scenes I expect there is a massive effort underway to revamp the S/X codebase and consolidate it with the 3's (not the visual aspects, but the model behind the UI). They are probably also moving the S/X MCU module to the Intel based one from the 3 this year. They have a lot on their plate, it's just invisible.

This is about on the money imo.

I would just be happy if they ditched the auto-minimizing control bar at the top of the screen. This the one feature I really don't like, particularly because it forces additional delays in interacting with the UI and in turn reduces focus on the road ahead.

Talking of which why the heck cant you use Voice command to "Select" Radio/Slacker/Spotify/USB/Phone etc.

Seriously though I believe Tesla know the heat on this subject, and this forum and the OP on this instance serve a beneficial purpose in keeping this subject way up the agenda. Despite my consideration for Tesla overall, I am certainly in the camp of more improvements and soon would be very welcome.

The only problem with that is, if you don't have your keyboard plugged in before the OS boots, the keyboard won't work with PS/2.

That's why tesla is working on a new hot swappable PS/2 standard - that's where all their workforce is. It will use Windows based network stacks and therefore, just like in Windows, take 60 seconds and lock up your system for no reason while finding new devices that are physically connected with a g*ddamn ethernet cable. PS/2 over ethernet (PS2oE) - the future of everything.

• Funny
Reactions: vdiv
That's why tesla is working on a new hot swappable PS/2 standard - that's where all their workforce is. It will use Windows based network stacks and therefore, just like in Windows, take 60 seconds and lock up your system for no reason while finding new devices that are physically connected with a g*ddamn ethernet cable. PS/2 over ethernet (PS2oE) - the future of everything.
Great! I can't wait for the registry settings to uncork my Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: vdiv
Not to quote Dr. Robert Ford/Sir Anthony Hopkins from "Westworld" but evolution used just one tool to create the diversity, abundancy, ability and complexity of life, the mistake...

Only problem is it took a few billion years, so Tesla seems to be on track ;)

Reactions: kbecks13
As a professional software engineer with more than 30 years of experience, I agree that their GUI progress and level of sophistication is relatively basic. You would think Tesla would be able to hire software engineers for the GUI with more talent and/or experience, but maybe the talented people interviewing there would rather work on things like Autopilot? If so, they need to insist on some of the talent working on non-Autopilot software.

I keep reminding myself that Tesla is a relatively new and small company who MAY not have the resources and more importantly the right leadership team to do this sort of work at the level of depth and detail found elsewhere in the industry. While the idea of Other the Air (OTA) is seen as a value add, Tesla has now seen fit to use it as means to get products to consumers in an incomplete state (rear seat heaters not working, FM radio not operable, wiper function incomplete, etc.).

The VW Group IMO is one of the best automotive companies when it comes to software engineering and UI & UX design. The level of detail is dense, complex and is made available throughout the vast range of products they make worldwide. More importantly the VW group integrates the UX experience consistently (hard and soft controls).

Case in point. The new VW group products coming to market are moving more towards letting the customer use software or hardware controls for critical functions.

The latest Audi A8 showcases what they can do and many have stated Audi has surpassed what Tesla has done with autonomous driving. The sensor suite is quite comprehensive and they have leveraged It in ways not seen before.

Simply put... The VW group can put more money into UX & UI and spread the cost over a huge amount of products. More importantly, they have put a ton of money into architecture unification.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: metier and TaoJones
I had always expected the VW Group to be a strong contender until their Recent Unpleasantness, and consider Tesla’s hiring of one of their key Audi design guys to be a solid win.

Going forward, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the VW Group very much in the conversation. Their e-Golf is already well-regarded in Europe.

It’s going to be a crowded landscape for awhile. Hopefully clear and consistent sources will emerge to help consumers not fall victim to much of the hype (see SuperCruise and the Bolt).

Of course, it would help Tesla’s cause to improve markedly in their traditionally weak areas as well. See communication and transparency, for starters. The friction/drag caused otherwise is unfortunate given the clear and compelling advantages in global infrastructure and various aspects of the technology. Safety not being the least impressive accomplishment as just one example.

Interesting to see these comments from higher level IT/software people. It is a super fast moving target to be on top of all these things, especially understanding time, talent and financial constraints.

I believe that Tesla is working on improvements, that will not be fully developed until a bit in the future. They have to be integrated into the entire automobile and Telsa internal systems. While some might want to see everything bleading edge, Tesla must test and retest, before integrating these items.

With Tesla working on so many fronts, they might not release a technology feature because they are working on an even more advanced integrated system that the current widget might not be compatible with.

Hard to be integrating lots of changes immediately when a better system might be right around the corner.

Believe the current Tesla Vision program is way ahead of others, and they are making intelligent decisions on what to roll out and when.

Sunday morning quarterbacking is fun and brings up lots of ideas for current and future success, but I imagine that behind the scenes things are not always as easy and straight forward as others might imagine.

Other OEM's are also working on these same issues. Will be interesting on which will be able to produce the most popular solutions.

Interesting to see these comments from higher level IT/software people. It is a super fast moving target to be on top of all these things, especially understanding time, talent and financial constraints.

I believe that Tesla is working on improvements, that will not be fully developed until a bit in the future. They have to be integrated into the entire automobile and Telsa internal systems. While some might want to see everything bleading edge, Tesla must test and retest, before integrating these items.

I hope Tesla is successful with autonomy but the environment is extremely competitive on a global scale. Several Chinese EV startups with tons of cash 'poached' high-value talent from BMW and it has impacted their BMW Megacity initiative and similar is happening across the technology industry.

A university professor has a book out where he describes the following: Chinese investors with tons of cash and government support have concluded they cannot take the lead on EVs and autonomy with native talent and succeed. The new strategy involves identifying advanced technology programs from other companies, poaching their talent with high compensation, have them work through the technology challenges, and let the startup fail and take the sorted out tech back to China for use in a 100% owned China auto manufacturer.

The Chinese market is the largest market now so these Chinese companies are not so much interested in selling to US or Western consumers. While they require 50% partnerships with GM and others, they have shown once their 100% Chinese companies apply the Western tech, Chinese consumers will favor 100% Chinese brands.