Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under the hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After enjoying my Model S for almost a year, I decided to dig into some detail about what really goes on under the hood! My MS in Electrical Engineering taught me a lot, and I had a wonderful 52-year career designing circuits and many of the inner workings of the car, but a knowledge of drive trains and differentials was unneeded (and absent) for the work I did. Now, after retirement, I decided to dig into enough detail to bring my understanding of this fine piece of engineering to a new level.

Below are links to YouTube videos explaining (first) the overall picture, and then the details of the motor and differential. I willingly let friends drive my S, but first they must watch the first ten-minute video, as I think it’s necessary if they’re to appreciate what’s under the hood.

How the Tesla car works:

How the motor works: Tesla's 3-Phase 4-Pole AC Induction Motor -- Why Nikola Tesla’s 19th Century Induction Motor Is The Ideal Choice For The 21st Century Electric Car | CleanTechnica AND:

Open vs. Locked differential:

How a differential works:

Tesla’s limited-slip differential: How does Model S Traction Control work?

I hope you enjoy the fruits of my research! Comments welcomed.

Awesome videos, thank you. As another EE with decades of experience, I really appreciate the technology. I suspect Tesla has a much higher percentage of owners with a technical background than any other brand. Single pedal driving is a hoot as energy is returned to the battery instead of wasted as heat. Over 1/3 of my charging is at no-charge locations that feel like free gasoline pumps. My non-technical wife doesn't like the vehicle, but it's no surprise since her car brand has been Mercedes since 1980.

Reactions: MarkKW
Awesome videos, thank you. As another EE with decades of experience, I really appreciate the technology. I suspect Tesla has a much higher percentage of owners with a technical background than any other brand. Single pedal driving is a hoot as energy is returned to the battery instead of wasted as heat. Over 1/3 of my charging is at no-charge locations that feel like free gasoline pumps. My non-technical wife doesn't like the vehicle, but it's no surprise since her car brand has been Mercedes since 1980.