Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected wake up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model X for almost two weeks now. Last night, in the middle of the night, the vehicle "woke up" as it was parked in my garage. I know this because we have a security camera in there & I was notified. The exterior lights came on & stayed on for a while (15 seconds, maybe), then the car went back to it's normal parked status. The mirrors didn't swing out, so it didn't get unlocked. I'm curious, have others experienced this sort of behavior? Is it normal & to periodically be expected? Or is something amiss?

I've had my Model X for almost two weeks now. Last night, in the middle of the night, the vehicle "woke up" as it was parked in my garage. I know this because we have a security camera in there & I was notified. The exterior lights came on & stayed on for a while (15 seconds, maybe), then the car went back to it's normal parked status. The mirrors didn't swing out, so it didn't get unlocked. I'm curious, have others experienced this sort of behavior? Is it normal & to periodically be expected? Or is something amiss?
Was it in sync when your charging was to begin?

Reactions: Jason S

First question:
Was your key anywhere close to your car?
My car is parked right outside my house, and I have to put my FOB in a RFID Block bag.

Where do you keep your FOB at night? Stealing your RIFD code from your keyfob is easy.
Could someone have tried to copy your keyfob signal?

My S wakes up every so often. I hear clicking, fans, etc. even in moderate climate (70 degrees F).

Never noticed the lights come on.

But heck, perhaps it heard a noise and wanted to look around? Or perhaps it just got back from a party.

I’m not sure. I’m enough of a newbie that I’m not really familiar with what being in sync means.
I didn’t set the timer to charge it last night, I just plugged in the charger when I got home. It had been fully charged for a number of hours when this occurred.
When the charging starts (scheduled or otherwise) the lights on mine have gone on - there is a setting somewhere to cause this. Our local Tesla showroom has all of their vehicles headlights set to shine when the vehicles are actively charging (since they sit in the main parking garage at a mall they look really cool all lined up and shining).

If you do NOT have charging timed on your X, it may have charged, realized it was cold and had lost some charge, and woke up to grab a little more juice. It may have only taken a few minutes to get back up to full and then back to sleep...

When you have timing set up to charge, once it charges, even though it is still plugged in, once it is full it will NOT restart charging until the set time (except, if you, via the remote app you instruct it to heat or have the Pre-Conditioning activated to pre-heat the vehicle based upon your calendar) - then it will use “shore power” to heat/cool your vehicle - which you will be happy about since it will not sue up precious miles to do that.

Enjoy! It is a wonderful vehicle. I am waiting patiently for my X to arrive this week!