Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unfair supercharger idling charga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few if any of those superchargers ever get enough traffic to warrant idle fees in the first place, so that's kind of an irrelevant point.

And to be honest, if that hypothetical situation DOES come to fruition, idle fees should still be charged starting at some high-but-not-100% SOC. You're still screwing over everyone else charging at L2 speed on a supercharger pedestal that other people are waiting for. Just because there aren't superchargers doesn't mean you can't get a charge. There's campgrounds that can easily supply 10kw in all corners of the country.

It's not irrelevant. Someone asked about Superchargers more than 250 miles apart and I gave a perfect example of ones I have used.

It wasn't a hypothetical trip... and many of my trips have been like that. I'm not going to spend $20 at a campground when I can Supercharge. Since there are campgrounds everywhere, you could easily use them as well if you don't want to wait for others to finish charging.

As the Supercharger network expands, I won't need to charge to 100% as often but I will continue to do so as needed. It's not up to you or others to determine what percentage of charge I need to get to my destination.

Don’t know if anyone noticed but the OP is listed in Santa Clara UTAH (not Santa Clara, Calif) and was charging in Vegas. Maybe he was going to need a nearly full charge.

Also worth mentioning is if you charge to near full you’ll have limited regen from what I’ve read on here (correct me if I’m mistaken), kind of important especially if traveling through mountain areas shortly after charging.

Reactions: outdoors
I noticed that location. Didn't have any idea how far apart they are so I got on trusty google maps.
124 miles.
I am sure there are elevation changes. But Santa Clara is only 700 feet higher than Vegas.
But hey - he might have been out exploring Nevada. I get that. If I posted something like the OP, you can be absolutely sure that I explained why I would do something so rude as charging to 98% while people were waiting.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
So superchargers in Nebraska are so full that they often warrant idle fees?
The response was relevant because it answered a question concerning Superchargers more than 250 miles apart. The question was NOT about idle charges at full Superchargers in Nebraska.

Î never once complained about the necessity of idle fees. My posts have been about the necessity that some drivers have to charge to 95% or more to get to their destination. I only said they should not be charged idle fees when CHARGING above 95% as one person suggested. Of course they should be charged idle fees if they are not actively charging.

I have seen all Superchargers full in Nebraska...in August 2017, after the total solar eclipse.

Last edited:
I noticed that location. Didn't have any idea how far apart they are so I got on trusty google maps.
124 miles.
I am sure there are elevation changes. But Santa Clara is only 700 feet higher than Vegas.
But hey - he might have been out exploring Nevada. I get that. If I posted something like the OP, you can be absolutely sure that I explained why I would do something so rude as charging to 98% while people were waiting.

The driver may not have had a valid need to charge so high in Las Vegas but without knowing the facts, we can't be sure they were being rude or being prudent. Some are assuming the driver was headed home. Since we don't know the destination, it is possible he was heading to Ely or some other destination over 240 miles away and required a full charge to get there. By charging a few more minutes in Las Vegas, they could avoid driving an extra 90 miles to St. George and cut several hours off the trip.

If the driver was heading someplace closer then they probably didn't need to charge that much.

Reactions: outdoors
The response was relevant because it answered a question concerning Superchargers more than 250 miles apart. The question was NOT about idle charges at full Superchargers in Nebraska.

The good news is that nobody disagrees with your assessment that there are situations--including between superchargers--where charging to near-100% is imperative. I've done it myself a few times.

The bad news is that your assessment of context was incomplete, not to mention your interpretation of my post was incorrect. I'd encourage you to to revisit what was said in this thread.

In any case:
--We can all agree that idle fees are meant to discourage charging longer than is necessary
--We can all agree that crowded superchargers away from population centers are VERY infrequent. Like 6+ sigma infrequent, such as a once-in-never-before eclipses scenario.

Combine those two with what was actually said and you'll understand "irrelevant".

There are many places out west where a 100% charge is needed to get to one's destination, especially if that area isn't covered by Superchargers .....snip ......... sometimes it is required.
the time spent going from 95% to 100% (at best-on a100kwh pack that's ~15miles) is LONGER than if you just charge to 95% then drive off & just go 60-65mph ... (behind a semi using CC if you fear road rage, because many semis will only go that speed). The higher efficiency rate will save you more than that 15 Mi, as well as more time.

Wow, it's like the same post over and over. Getting back to the thread topic at hand, getting charged for idle after stopping the charge in the app, please forgive my ignorance as I've only SC'd once, but what is the recommended Supercharge disconnect method? I thought you had to stop the charge before you could unlock the port. Just trying to figure out what the best method for unplugging at a SC (or even a destination without idle)?

While on the topic, I've been to a couple parking structures that use ChargePoint where my cell phone doesn't work, so I can't use the app to unlock the port. Here I usually just drive out of the structure with my adapter and port open, establish LTE on my phone then unlock. I know about the manual release, but I'd like to avoid using that. Just wondering if anyone else has suggestions. Can I unlock the charge port while still charging as I walk into the parking structure?

please forgive my ignorance as I've only SC'd once, but what is the recommended Supercharge disconnect method? I thought you had to stop the charge before you could unlock the port.
DB, easiest method is to simply push the button on the charge handle. Sometimes you have to push and hold. This will stop the charging and release the handle. Make sure the car is unlocked first.
There is no need to first stop charging with either the app or from the car's screen.

While on the topic, I've been to a couple parking structures that use ChargePoint where my cell phone doesn't work, so I can't use the app to unlock the port. Here I usually just drive out of the structure with my adapter and port open, establish LTE on my phone then unlock. I know about the manual release, but I'd like to avoid using that. Just wondering if anyone else has suggestions. Can I unlock the charge port while still charging as I walk into the parking structure?
Tap your ChargePoint card on the charging station to stop charging. Tap “unlock charge port” on the Tesla charging screen to unlock the charge port.

Tesla stations are easier. Whether it’s a supercharger or HPWC (destination charging), just press the button on handle until the charge port light turns white, then pull out the handle. Just make sure your car is unlocked when you do this.

Tap your ChargePoint card on the charging station to stop charging. Tap “unlock charge port” on the Tesla charging screen to unlock the charge port.

Tesla stations are easier. Whether it’s a supercharger or HPWC (destination charging), just press the button on handle until the charge port light turns white, then pull out the handle. Just make sure your car is unlocked when you do this.

Thanks, I assume if the car is locked it won't come out? What prevents someone from just walking by a bunch of Teslas and unplugging them?

Wow, it's like the same post over and over. Getting back to the thread topic at hand, getting charged for idle after stopping the charge in the app, please forgive my ignorance as I've only SC'd once, but what is the recommended Supercharge disconnect method? I thought you had to stop the charge before you could unlock the port. Just trying to figure out what the best method for unplugging at a SC (or even a destination without idle)?

There’s a manual release in the trunk you can use, but I’m confused. If your car is unlocked and you’ve unplugged the EVSE from your car, the charge port should already be unlocked and you should be able to pull out your adapter. I have never once had to use my phone to unlock the charger so far; I just unplug it and the adapter generally comes off with the J1772.

The driver may not have had a valid need to charge so high in Las Vegas....If the driver was heading someplace closer then they probably didn't need to charge that much.

If he'd slow down a little he probably wouldn't have needed to charge that much either. I don't get it that people get to be rude just so they can speed like crazy to get home. If he'd drive a little slower he wouldn't have needed to charge so long. And buying a small battery when you're doing desert long distances is a little short sighted, assuming he can't make it because his car battery is challenged.

Oh, NO! I just used the "S" word. Everyone, ignore that. Drive like crazy and complain because your S-60 can't make it 125 miles. This is Utah/Nevada. No speed limits, no traffic, no problem.

If he'd slow down a little he probably wouldn't have needed to charge that much either. I don't get it that people get to be rude just so they can speed like crazy to get home. If he'd drive a little slower he wouldn't have needed to charge so long. And buying a small battery when you're doing desert long distances is a little short sighted, assuming he can't make it because his car battery is challenged.

Seems like there's plenty of short sightedness to go around! :rolleyes:

At the risk of stating the self-evident:
--Any rational human being can understand that there are a litany of reasons why someone truly needs to charge near 100%.
--Any rational human being can understand that not everyone is going to buy a car (let alone a Tesla) that can perform nominally in every single one of the potential situations they might find themselves in over the course of ownership.

The [somewhat mind boggling] disconnect that has developed in this thread is that the practical situations--and specifically the locations--where one might find themselves in need of a near-100% charge are virtually polar opposite to the situations where one is likely to find a near-capacity supercharger location.

Reactions: davedavedave